Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
ZOMG! the on-rails shooter bit is graphically impressive, but after that, just being able to fly around the environment, and play with all the different Nanite poly rendering settings, switching day / night, showing the AI vehicle locations and traffic flows. Very interesting toy.

Reactions: Donfor39

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Fascinating. I briefly played it on my XBX this weekend. When I saw the UE5 demo last year I shook my head and diet believe that graphics could look that realistic on the next gen consoles.

The use cases for UE5 extend beyond gaming. Let's say someone scanned and built a virtual London for UE5. They could then sell/licence those assets to film makers, gaming studios or even businesses that want to create metaverses.

Although the graphics of the demo is impressive, there are a few challenges to overcome. The appeal of games have shifted from graphics to the number of people who can play them. Hence why minecraft and roblux are immensely financially successful. They can be played on almost any device and even 5-6 year old computers.

The challenges for UE5 is scalability of graphics, ease of use for studios/creators and compatability on future iOS/Android Devices.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
So why don't actual games look this amazing yet? Do current PS5 and XBX games even show a significant leap over the previous generations?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So why don't actual games look this amazing yet? Do current PS5 and XBX games even show a significant leap over the previous generations?
Because the bean counters don't want to drop a large install base (PS4/Xbox One) just yet. This demo shows what is possible with the newer hardware when not having to find work arounds to support the older hardware. In this demo Lumen is using hardware RT and there is no software or non-lumen fallback.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I loved it. Such a fun tech demo.

Although the graphics of the demo is impressive, there are a few challenges to overcome. The appeal of games have shifted from graphics to the number of people who can play them. Hence why minecraft and roblux are immensely financially successful. They can be played on almost any device and even 5-6 year old computers.

Those games are incredibly popular but it doesn't mean that single player games still aren't also. Ghost of Tsushima (yes I know it also has multiplayer), God of War, the Assassin's Creed games, Red Dead 2, etc all still going strong.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Because the bean counters don't want to drop a large install base (PS4/Xbox One) just yet. This demo shows what is possible with the newer hardware when not having to find work arounds to support the older hardware. In this demo Lumen is using hardware RT and there is no software or non-lumen fallback.
And now that the city scene is available on PC there is a software fallback for Lumen RT that is completely crushing PC CPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.