Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD. The overpriced Intel Meme Pro is finally gone. No more overpriced configurations. No more $700 wheels (because the wheels are $400 now lmao.) No more $1000 Afterburner card that became retroware the moment the M1 Pro was announced. The Mac Pro is now finally a computer that justifies the high price tag, especially since we got the Mac Studio as a much more affordable option.

The only downside is no PCIE GPUs and the RAM only goes up to 196 gb, but on the bright side having an ARM Mac Pro with PCIE expansion is gonna be amazing.

And with this, the meme computer that has languished for years is finally gone, and the transition is done. Hell I want one now despite the fact it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for what I use a computer for (maybe one day)

So congratulations Mac Pro users. The wait, and years of pain, finally over, and I can finally stop calling it the Meme Pro

Reactions: rm5

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Huh? The new one is more expensive.

It is but isn't.

The Meme Pro started at $6000, and came with the following:

• 8-Core
    • 3.5GHz Intel Xeon W
    • 8 cores, 16 threads
    • Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    • 24.5MB cache
    • Supports 2666MHz memory
  • 32GB of RAM
  • AMD Radeon Pro 580X
    • 36 compute units, 2304 stream processors
    • 8GB of GDDR5 memory
    • Up to 5.6 teraflops single precision
    • Two HDMI 2.0 ports on card
    • Four DisplayPort connections routed to system to support internal Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • Support for up to six 4K displays, two 5K displays, or two Pro Display XDRs
    • Half-height MPX Module fits in an MPX bay and enables PCIe slot 2 for additional expansion
  • 256GB SSD

$6000 base spec for only 256gb of storage and only 32 gb of RAM is absolutely absurd especially when there's gaming PCs that come with a lot more than that and they don't even cross over $2000. On top of that, the base spec was quickly outperformed by a 14 inch Macbook Pro for only 1/3 the cost.
Fully configured a Meme Pro would cost over $50,000. You can buy a new Tesla Model Y for that.

Now compare the base spec ARM Mac Pro:

• Apple M2 Ultra chip
    • 24-core CPU with 16 performance cores and 8 efficiency cores
    • 60-core GPU
    • 32-core Neural Engine
    • 800GB/s memory bandwidth
    • A Media Engine that is equivalent to SEVEN Afterburner cards, because that $1000 Afterburner Card needs to be put even more into it's place as the joke it was
  • 64 GB of Unified RAM
  • 1 TB SSD
So you're getting more base spec, with an SoC that greatly outperforms the Xeon, and it only costs $1000 more to upgrade that M2 Ultra for even more cores, and you can skip the RAM and storage configs since there's PCIE slots to add your own. Yeah, the value proposition for the ARM Mac Pro's base spec is waaaaaaaay higher than the Meme Pro's. Even with base spec now being $7000 it is a much better value than the previous one.

Last edited:

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
This new Mac Pro is cheaper for them to build. No Intel or AMD. The little extra storage and on-die memory doesn't cost them much. Apple decided to reap higher profits instead of passing savings on to customers. Base spec is more capable, but high-end spec is gone.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
This new Mac Pro is cheaper for them to build. No Intel or AMD. The little extra storage and on-die memory doesn't cost them much. Apple decided to reap higher profits instead of passing savings on to customers. Base spec is more capable, but high-end spec is gone.

Gonna be real: The people who would want that absolute high end spec, weren't gonna buy the Meme Pro. They would've bought custom Threadripper machines.

zzzachi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
This doesn't look like a maxed out Mac Pro would be a particulary fast computer. I need to see Cinebench Results, atm I'm not confident that this Pro outperforms my 3 yrs old Threadripper system (for just 5k). Plus no NVIDIA Card support, which is mandatory for 3D work.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
max 1.5 TB --> max 192 GB is killer. no support for 3rd party GPUs basically makes this extremely niche product even more extremely niche because no one will really use this for AI/ML models unless theres a large breakthrough in pytorch/tensorflow performance on AS.

as for OP, this new computer is already less capable than the intel mac pro in terms of the diversity of applications it can run; its a shame intel mac pros will be stuck at the ****** 14+++nm but we all kinda saw this coming.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD. The overpriced Intel Meme Pro is finally gone. No more overpriced configurations. No more $700 wheels (because the wheels are $400 now lmao.) No more $1000 Afterburner card that became retroware the moment the M1 Pro was announced. The Mac Pro is now finally a computer that justifies the high price tag, especially since we got the Mac Studio as a much more affordable option.

The only downside is no PCIE GPUs and the RAM only goes up to 196 gb, but on the bright side having an ARM Mac Pro with PCIE expansion is gonna be amazing.

And with this, the meme computer that has languished for years is finally gone, and the transition is done. Hell I want one now despite the fact it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for what I use a computer for (maybe one day)

So congratulations Mac Pro users. The wait, and years of pain, finally over, and I can finally stop calling it the Meme Pro

Huh?

Im super insulted they RAISE the price of the Mac Pro $1000 over the 7,1 and $3550 over the studio for 6 lousy slots, when it, the 8,1, is a piece of **** offering less. They are simply gouging their customers. And gave a big FU to its pro/enthusiast customers not supporting 3rd party GPUs.

Yet, the Mac press shovels lies and propaganda burying that the machine is MORE expensive while offering less with bs like this:

In 2019, our build consisted of several performance components, such as graphics cards and afterburners. Those components now live in Apple's dedicated silicon, the M2 Ultra, with performance that eclipses Intel-based Macs.

Um no, you lying bastards. You do not get a 6800duo in apple silicon. The duo sill absolutely DESTROYS the M2 ultra in most graphics tests. You also do not get 1.5TB of RAM. Insanity.

A marvel in apple propaganda and one of many reasons why the Mac/tech press is dead.

I'm skipping this machine. Praying that its replacement will support GPUs and at least it would have PCI 5 and extreme CPUs...

Last edited:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
This new Mac Pro is cheaper for them to build. No Intel or AMD.

Why do people keep saying this.

Xeon development costs are spread among multiple customers.

Apple development costs are only split amongst Apple customers.

There is absolutely no evidence that Apple Silicon is cheaper than Intel chips. Apple soaks up the entire R&D and setup cost instead of sharing it.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Why do people keep saying this.

Xeon development costs are spread among multiple customers.

Apple development costs are only split amongst Apple customers.

There is absolutely no evidence that Apple Silicon is cheaper than Intel chips. Apple soaks up the entire R&D and setup cost instead of sharing it.

I cannot find any actual data on the manufacturing and R&D costs etc for Apple's SoCs, but investigations by independent firms suggest they cost less. I think the new Mac Pro is probably less expensive to manufacture, but it's hard to say. There are probably reduced costs with the absence of the MPX slots and other items removed from the logic board. There were also rumors it would be manufactured in Thailand. I haven't seen anything about it being made in Texas like the 7,1. So that reduces costs too.

My guess is that it probably costs Apple less than $1000 to build one of these. It's basically a 7,1 case, a new logic board, a Studio SoC, and some solid state storage.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Long live the Mac Pro (7,1) indeed:

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 8.15.00 PM.png

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I cannot find any actual data on the manufacturing and R&D costs etc for Apple's SoCs, but investigations by independent firms suggest they cost less.
I've never seen this data.

The thing is processor like the Xeon are only a few cents in raw materials. When you buy a CPU - you're actually paying for the research and development of that CPU. And you're paying for the cost to build the production line out.

Thats why the "Apple processors cost less because Apple" thing doesn't make sense. Apple will be paying higher R&D costs per unit than Intel. Maybe the TMSC stuff comes out about even.

And without that, it's fairly disprovable. We know the retail prices for Xeons. Apple was way overcharging on the 2019 Mac Pro compared to what the parts cost even at retail. The Xeon in the Intel Mac Pro wasn't that expensive. A parts breakdown of the 2019 Mac Pro proves the cost wasn't due to the Xeon.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan

Whether or not I’ll buy one, this is another nail in the pro coffin.

1. This machine should start at $3,999 or even $2,499 like the old Mac Pros.
2. No external GPU and upgradable ram is extremely limiting.
3. I ram the numbers for my case and, model for model, the difference between the reasonably priced Studio and the overpriced Pro is roughly $3,300. So it’s not that it costs them so much more to built.

4. This machine doesn’t do anything special. The idea of the MacPro has always been to maximize the performance. There is nothing here that adds power to the machine. It’s a Studio in a cheese grater body.

For the first time… well ever, I’ll price out a PC and consider moving from FCP to Resolve. (I can’t use the Studio for my needs as I require significant Thunderbolt connectivity.)

Apple has made it clear, since Tim took over, that they really don’t care about the Pro community. I understand that the sales are lower but the Mac is what holds everything together. The Pro series may sell less but I imagine that Pro buyers also spend a lot on other machines. The Pro is definitely not going to be your only Mac. If they continue to push away the pro community it will affect a lot more than just Pro sales. I have one MacPro but manage nearly a dozen other Macs too. In the 2000s we’d get a new Pro every two years that started at $2,499. Then…

2013 Trash Can was not modular, no PCIe only a single model.

Then … nothing… for 7 years!

2019 we get an overpriced huge machine that cost roughly triple what my 2013 configuration was and over four times my 2009 MacPro tower.

Then … delays and coming to market over 6 months past Apple’s own deadline.

Now they up the price arbitrarily and remove much of what makes the Pro great.

It’s just a bummer when the company you love treats you like the grandparents of a spoiled brat: happy to take your money but not interested in you at all.

Last edited:

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009

This thread is just dumb, you're still trashing a 2019 computer because you can't afford it? Do you do this with all the things you consider expensive?

Besides, by all lights the new Mac Pro is a terrible deal. I wouldn't be surprised they just cancel the product all together after this model. Maybe it's for the better, Maybe Apple is just a portable devices company for people like you after all.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The 2013 Mac Pro is the Meme Pro. I'm old for trashing the trash can back in the day apparently.

There exists a Mac Pro with soldered RAM? I don't understand what's happening, everything is soldered and disposable, I'm scared and confused and this is not a world I want to live in...

So my next desktop will run Linux and not MacOS 😄

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.