Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Just came across something that I found rather interesting:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...hint-at-a-mini-tower-desktop-with-usb-30.html

I wouldn't think much of this other than the fact that it really wouldn't fit Apple's product line unless they were to chop something off. I found it really interesting when Apple put the Mini in between the iMac and the Mac Pro on their comparison chart located here:
http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/

The last product to fill that hole was the G4 Cube, and their chart has always gone from low-end to high-end(or lowest priced to highest price in the case of the Air). This leads me to believe that Apple is dropping the Mini and bringing back a G4 Cube like machine in between the iMac and Mac Pro. This would make sense with Steam now on the Mac possibly appealing to those that want a more powerful Mac without a monitor attached and easier to upgrade more than the RAM without jumping to a 2500 dollar Mac Pro.

I don't think Apple has ever been too fond of the Mini, it got a rather lackluster five minute introduction. So what do you think? Will Apple ever do this or am I just talking out of my ass because I'm bored and have nothing better to do?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apple needs a desktop thats full featured not the handicap game, you have a great monitor or HDTV you have 2 options little Mini with poor graphics or powerhouse and very expensive MacPro. Apple needs a new Macintosh because the all in one game just isnt for everyone. I wouldnt mind if they killed Mini if they came out with a new machine Mini Tower to fill this gigantic hole.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I don't see the introduction of the fabled x-Mac as being a replacement for the Mac Mini. The mini fills a vital niche with Apple for those who are considering switching to their platform but already have a monitor and don't want an iMac.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Some of us have wondered if Apple will combine the Mac Mini with an Apple TV and create a new entertainment center computer.

On a side note, it will be very interesting to see which direction Apple goes with the introduction of USB 3.0. Will we see FW1600 or FW3200? Or will Apple move to USB3.0 and eliminate FW down the road in the future?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.