Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkdmrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2022
Hi all, I'm using MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro).

Last night, when I went to the cafe to get some work done after work, I saw that my MacBook charge was 38%. Actually, I had charged the device the previous day, but I thought I might not have charged enough, and some of the remaining charges may have melted while waiting.

When I got home in the evening, I charged the MacBook with the lid closed, and in the morning (today), I put it in the bag without opening it.
Because I charge it with the MagSafe cable, there is an orange light on the cable while it is charging. I'm sure I saw at least the first time I plugged it in.

I didn't use the MacBook at all during the day. I just got home, and when I opened the computer, it had a 14% charge. Then I plugged in the cable, but the MacBook stopped charging. Naturally, the orange light wasn't on. However, whenever I unplugged and plugged in the cable, the monitor screen would turn off and back on for a few seconds.

Then I disconnected all the cables, switched the adapters, turned off the device, and reconnected it. It started charging for a while, but then, when I tried again to check if the problem persisted, the monitor screen went blank for a few seconds, and the MacBook stopped charging again.

After a couple of tries, the problem disappeared. It recurs after a few shots, but only sometimes. Each time I have to repeat the steps above.

Model: MacBook Pro 14" (2021) + 65W Apple Adapter

Monitor Model: LG UltraGear 24GN650-B

The monitor and MacBook are connected to each other via DisplayPort, but the problem persists even without the cable connected.

I am aware that electronic products are sensitive to electric current. That's why I use an Automatic Voltage Regulator connected to the main socket at the end of my desk. I also have a protected socket connected to it. I bought both of them from Amazon as an Amazon seller (I wanted to mention this to rule out the possibility of a fake).

Even when all adapters charge simultaneously, the maximum load does not exceed 200W. So it is impossible to talk about a load they cannot handle. I'm not sure what exactly the problem is here, I'm worried that using it this way might damage one or more of the devices, but I'm not sure what exactly is the problem :) I would be grateful if those interested in electricity and with similar experiences could help.

It's been a long story for me. Forgive me if I made grammatical and language mistakes. English is not my first language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.