Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
Zero to YouTube in one minute on a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (dual 1.8 GHz Sonnet upgrade)

This is MorphOS 3.16 running on a PowerMac G4 Gigabit from 2001 Dual 1.8 GHz Sonnet Upgrade 2 GB RAM 160 GB 7200 RPM hard disk Wayfarer Web Browser (WebKit based) I used a KaiOS user agent copied from https://user-agents.net/platforms/kai... to get m.YouTube.com to be that responsive. The most impressive part is that it plays 360p and 480p video directly in the web browser flawlessly even full screen.

Which specific user agent did you use ( between the two youtube ones ), and how do you add them to Wayfarer to use?

Thanks

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I still prefer OWB with this script to watch or download youtube videos.
Dont even have to let the video page load. Just right click on the url to play via mplayer.

mos-youtube.png

Last edited:

FerociousPPC

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022
Installed ATi Radeon X1900 in my G5 dual core, boot MorphOS 3.17 CD and get a white screen.... What am I missing? ?

FerociousPPC

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022
Well this is NO BUENO... 😫 G5 Hardware compatibility for MorphOS 3.x. Only PowerMac 7,2 and PowerMac7,3 (A1047) are fully supported. I believe I have a 11,2.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I have the same machine and same video card. Everything works in MorphOS except the built in ethernet and wifi. To get around the wifi issue i pulled the airport extreme card out of my 1.6ghz G5. It fits in the slot and works, but you have to make your own antenna. I just used a twist tie from a loaf of bread, trimmed off some of the paper, and jammed it in the hole on the airport then routed it out the front of the case through one of the cheese grater holes. Then i ordered a cheap wifi extender and plugged it in close to the G5 as the twist tie doesn't have that great of a range.

Cheers

FerociousPPC

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022
I have the same machine and same video card. Everything works in MorphOS except the built in ethernet and wifi. To get around the wifi issue i pulled the airport extreme card out of my 1.6ghz G5. It fits in the slot and works, but you have to make your own antenna. I just used a twist tie from a loaf of bread, trimmed off some of the paper, and jammed it in the hole on the airport then routed it out the front of the case through one of the cheese grater holes. Then i ordered a cheap wifi extender and plugged it in close to the G5 as the twist tie doesn't have that great of a range.

Cheers
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking my issue is the flashed X1900GT is not compatible... 😿

Last edited:

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

Cheers
This post is amazing. I love this. :D

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
That's pretty neat, but you can buy airport extereme cards on ebay for $10. Im cheap. I just bought another to replace the one I stole from the other G5 and the WiFi extender was $12.

Cheers

adam25255

macrumors regular
Purchased it recently. Runs great except BCM4306 Wifi PCI card.(after few days of googling I found out they are not compatible)

Chrysalis mod is essential as it is much easier to install than to dig software or settings.

BTW, ports of open source software like Libre Office would be nice.(many apps are already ported)

Attachments

• C75CCA68-0EA7-40F7-A2DC-B8D7437C238B.jpeg
    C75CCA68-0EA7-40F7-A2DC-B8D7437C238B.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Methanoid

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
I've a couple of old PowerPC Macs and would like to multi boot them. If anyone has any guidance I'd appreciate it (what to format HDD - MBR/GUID(GPT)/ApplePartMap - partition layout. Which OS to install first etc).

A G4 1.5 Mini and a G5 iMac and want both to triple/quad boot - OSX(maybe two)/MOS/Debian

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
This is ancient, but still valid for current MorphOS and any supported Mac.

Note, the iMac needs to be of the "iSight" variant, anything else want work.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
From what I can gather, the PCIE G5s shipped with an Nvidia video card, which is why they're not fully supported. From what I can dig up, if you can get a Radeon working under the Mac OS, you should be able to use MorphOS on it.

Why “if”? ATI cards were officially supported on PM G5 2005. Of course they work.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Yeah, MorphOS is neat. However it's more of a "tinker" OS for many as there aren't any good office suites. Only simple text, rtf stuff. That's about it. For classic Amiga games, listening to music, watching videos and browsing the web casually it does fairly well though.

I've never had an issue with WPA2 honestly. My 15" powerbook, mac mini, and powermac G5 all connected no problem.

As for the backlit keyboard, i don't remember if it worked or not. I bought the license for my mac mini because i really like dual booting Leopard and Lubuntu 12.04 Remix on my 15" powerbook. For the record, back lit keyboard does work on 12.04 Remix and also on Void-PPC Linux. It always acted wonky on Ubuntu 16.04 (including 16.04 remix) and Debian 10 for me however.

My suggestion would be to install MorphOS so you get the "real" feel of it. Install some software and play with the 30 minute demo mode for a few weeks (rebooting every 30 minutes). If you like what you see buy it. It took me a few years to break down and buy a license. I used it for a month or 2 and now i never really use it. I still have more fun with Leopard and Linux, and can do more with them. It is a cool OS though, and it is fast. It just lacks in some areas in my opinion and crashes quite often. Thankfully it reboots in like 15 seconds. ;)

Cheers

Don’t care about Office, but does it have compilers? Can we run Macports on it?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Don’t care about Office, but does it have compilers? Can we run Macports on it?
It has gcc yes. Macports i doubt. Its not a Unix based OS and needs special libraries and linkers passed to it when porting *nix based software. I have yet to successfully build anything on MOS other than the simple examples included. Seasoned amiga/mos users have ported/built a ton of stuff however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.