Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thedragon67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2023
I play a lot of Dota, have $3500 USD to spend and all I really want is the best Dota gaming experience on a Mac. I am open to desktop, not just laptops, and am currently eyeing up a Studio M2 Max.

Just wondering, would that be the absolute best for playing Dota? i.e would the new M3 have some kind of graphical performance for Dota that would be more meaningful than the power I would get from a Studio (as I would likely have a less powerful M3 Pro chip).

Has to be Apple, as I refuse to go back to windows.

Thanks!

Currently on a 24'' iMac with 16gb ram that gets a bit hot and can't use the highest graphics settings

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Just wondering, would that be the absolute best for playing Dota?
First, I will admit that I don't play games on my Macs. Never have. Second, I did not know what "Dota" was so your question intrigued me. Did some quick research. Dota does not appear to be a very resource demanding game... at least according to this article

If Dota is the most demanding software you plan to use, this article implies you can get by w/ a M1/M2 MacBook Air and have decent FPS and smooth game play. Anything more is simply gravy or perhaps even wasted computing power (i.e. $$$$$)

Absolutely open to criticism on this ...

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I’d personally wait for the Studio with M3-whatever due to enhanced GPU capabilities.

A year or more is a long time to wait. Ran just the intro in my M2 Studio Ultra and it looked fine. Didn't play the game and am not a game player.

Reactions: Thedragon67

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
If you are already using an M1 iMac that gives you a point of reference. What setting/resolution are you using, and at what setting/resolution would you be satisfied enough to call anything else overkill?

For the absolute best M2 Max should be enough to smoothly play Dota in 4K on high, maybe even maxed, settings. If you are OK scaling down to 1440p then an M2-Pro should be enough.

M3-Pro is expected to only be marginally faster than M2-Pro and is probably worth skipping if you can get M2-Pro cheaper/earlier.

Reactions: Irishman

Neork

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
Same here, wondering about the current situation of running dota2 on mac, I have a m1 max mbp, and tried dota2 before, absolutely unplayable. You can feel a lot of glitch if you generally play dota2 on windows. And the most important thing of playing dota2 (and maybe other games) is smoothness rather than video quality.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Dota2 doesn't precompile almost any shader, so the first time a new effect or a similar thing needs to be displayed it will stutter. It will usually get better after you watched or played a few games because most of the common shaders will be in cache.

Neork

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
Dota2 doesn't precompile almost any shader, so the first time a new effect or a similar thing needs to be displayed it will stutter. It will usually get better after you watched or played a few games because most of the common shaders will be in cache.
interesting!thx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.