Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Apple isn't going to refuse support or warranty on any Mac because of a receipt, or lack thereof. Warranty is tied to the serial number of the computer, no matter who owns it or where they bought it. You can verify remaining warranty/AppleCare coverage for any Mac by entering the serial number here.

Thanks for clarifying that part, but at the same time Apple would reject the ML update?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for clarifying that part, but at the same time Apple would reject the ML update?
They're not rejecting the ML update. They're rejecting the free ML update. Like any sales promotion, discount, etc., the ML Up-to-Date program has terms and conditions and restrictions. None of this will affect the OS, the warranty or any support.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
They're not rejecting the ML update. They're rejecting the free ML update. Like any sales promotion, discount, etc., the ML Up-to-Date program has terms and conditions and restrictions. None of this will affect the OS, the warranty or any support.

Guess I'll agree with turtle777 then.

sonolento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Is FNAC refusing to provide receipts with serial numbers?

If not, the title is misleading.

I went back to FNAC last afternoon and got this info:

1. FNAC receipts never have the serial number;
2. FNAC never heard of any warranty or upgrade refusals before because of that;
3. They issued a new special receipt with the serial number;
4. I've uploaded it to Apple.

Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Haven't got the upgrade code yet.
I wonder what's going to be Apple's excuse this time: the receipt is not printed in gold :)

Still haven't got any answer from the 2 emails sent to costumer support on July 31st. So Apple's costumer service is just as bad as any other...

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Can you slag off apple any more on this? It's somehow their fault FNAC doesn't abide by their policy and again it's their fault they haven't responded to your request immediately. Wow, apple sure is a horrible company full of incompetent people right? :rolleyes:

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Apple makes the process more difficult than necessary. In other years, the Up-To-Date program required only a valid Mac serial number (this serial number contains the manufacturing date of a Mac).

Has nothing to do with the manufactured date of the mac, it has to do with the date of purchase. Which is on the receipt, which is tied to the serial number. This new policy is correcting exploits people could use with their receipts. FNAC needs to get up to spec.

sonolento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Can you slag off apple any more on this? It's somehow their fault FNAC doesn't abide by their policy and again it's their fault they haven't responded to your request immediately. Wow, apple sure is a horrible company full of incompetent people right? :rolleyes:

How incompetent they are? Depends on 2 issues:

a) Will the 2 emails, sent to the costumer support on July 31st, be ever answered? Guess not...

b) Will the upgrade be issued, now that Apple has got a receipt like they want (with the lovely serial number)? We'll see...

Just for the record, in my company, all clients get an answer in 24h, even if it is to say that the matter is being analysed. This is important for clients. Guess that isn't important for Apple.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
b) Will the upgrade be issued, now that Apple has got a receipt like they want (with the lovely serial number)?
Was it the serial number they were looking for, or the part number? The terms of the US program don't mention serial numbers at all:
To receive your OS X Mountain Lion upgrade, you must complete the order form and provide an electronic copy of a dated, itemized sales receipt indicating the marketing part number(s) of the qualifying product(s) purchased. Order acknowledgments, packing slips, and purchase order copies are not valid.

sonolento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Was it the serial number they were looking for, or the part number? The terms of the US program don't mention serial numbers at all:

I wonder...
Was one of the questions I had in one of the 2 emails I sent to costumer support on July 31st.
As I've said, no answer has been given.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nope. That's why I asked what kind of number was missing.
Yesterday, I sent them the new receipt with the serial number.
If it doesn't have the part number in addition to the serial number, they may not accept it. Here's hoping they will.

sonolento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
If it doesn't have the part number in addition to the serial number, they may not accept it. Here's hoping they will.

When I phoned the Apple support line, they only mentioned the serial number. Nothing about a part number.

Next, I'll need to get the exact size of the tower of Pisa to get the upgrade... :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When I phoned the Apple support line, they only mentioned the serial number. Nothing about a part number.

Next, I'll need to get the exact size of the tower of Pisa to get the upgrade... :D
Better get out your slide rule and get busy! How comfortable are you with heights? :D

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Well i guess you can spend a heap of time calling people, returning to the store, getting receipts printed and/or whining about it or you could pony up the 20 bucks.

I know what I'd do.

I don't mean that to be a douche.... but the facts are thus:

You got screwed by FNAC? You have 2 choices: chill out and get upgraded for 20 bucks.

OR

Waste a lot more than the worth of that in your spare time, fuel to go to/from the store, etc chasing down a "free" upgrade that isn't expensive and well worth the money.

sonolento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Well i guess you can spend a heap of time calling people, returning to the store, getting receipts printed and/or whining about it or you could pony up the 20 bucks.

I know what I'd do.

I don't mean that to be a douche.... but the facts are thus:

You got screwed by FNAC? You have 2 choices: chill out and get upgraded for 20 bucks.

OR

Waste a lot more than the worth of that in your spare time, fuel to go to/from the store, etc chasing down a "free" upgrade that isn't expensive and well worth the money.

Now the problem is on Apple's side.
FNAC issued a new receipt that was uploaded to Apple more than 24h ago.

So sorry about user Gemütlichkeit, they are really incompetent.
a) The upgrade email, clearly states that the upgrade would be issued max. 24h after upload - 24h have passed and no upgrade;
b) None of the 2 emails were answered by costumer service.

About paying for the free upgrade:
In my country, this type of behavior is considered a crime of false publicity (jail time is 3 years).
Promise that a product is free and then, after all, it is for paying. Just like a shop would have a sign saying free cakes, and then when someone asks for one, they would say that the cake is a few bucks.

So paying the 20 bucks, like you sugest, would be agreeing with a criminal conduct. Think that's right?

sonolento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012

Seems time just confirms I'm right:

- FNAC issued a new receipt with the serial number
- The new receipt was uploaded 2/8
- Still no answer from the 2 emails sent to costumer support on July, 31st (10 days now);
- Still no upgrade code (more than a week after the upload).

I suppose you call this competence :D

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
If you're that desperate to get ML and I were you, I'd just say 'screw it' and get ML by other means (technically, you're entitled to it for free so...).

There are lots of people with issues regarding Apple not giving them ML upgrade codes and/or incorrect codes. Comes to show that they should have a better system for these kind of free upgrades.

sonolento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
If you're that desperate to get ML and I were you, I'd just say 'screw it' and get ML by other means (technically, you're entitled to it for free so...).

There are lots of people with issues regarding Apple not giving them ML upgrade codes and/or incorrect codes. Comes to show that they should have a better system for these kind of free upgrades.

Followed your advice already :)
Mountain Lion is running great on my MBA2012. Blazing fast and I don't notice any battery loss.

So, this is just to show how Apple's support works (or doesn't work...) :D

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The problem is not filling in the serial number in the upgrade form. The problem is that Apple refuses to give the upgrade (valid for all EU countries), because they don't like FNAC's receipts (because they don't have the serial number on the receipt).

What receipt? I just filled the form in online. It asked for my reseller, date of purchase, serial number, contact details etc.

It never required a receipt at any step when I filled out the Up To Date online form here in Australia??

Weird.

sonolento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
What receipt? I just filled the form in online. It asked for my reseller, date of purchase, serial number, contact details etc.

It never required a receipt at any step when I filled out the Up To Date online form here in Australia??

Weird.

In Europe, the online form includes a step for uploading the receipt (a receipt with the computer's serial number).

Anyway, no use doing that, because Apple doesn't send any upgrade codes :)
My code fell of the back of a truck (anyone in the UK is going to understand this one) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.