Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'll miss the colour sampling/matching from album art. Perhaps that'll be brought back and possible it's just missing due to it being an extremely early build of the app. But I agree, by the time we're in developer beta 7 or 8 it should be pretty damn good.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

i505

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2016
New Mexico, USA
I prefer the navigation of the iOS 10 music app over the iOS 9 one. They just need to do something about those music controls on the iPad lock screen!

Reactions: rillrill

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I don't have iOS 10, can someone explain how you interact with your purchased/itunes synced music vs downloaded music from Apple Music that I am just 'renting'. I am just a little confused how this all works (I assume this is all in the Library tab).

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I was just noticing tonight how much I enjoy the new look. It's especially nice in the car. I've been asking for the album and artist information to be legible for a long time. The tiny gray text just wasn't cutting it.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I miss the "peek" functionality for albums.

This too. I'm not quite getting used to the new 3D Touch options, esp. Since it seems as though the linking is broken for me when tapping an album.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
I like the new design, but it's the buggiest app in this beta, to be expected though since it is the one with the biggest changes.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I'm getting used to the design as well. Didn't find it ugly in the beginning, but just thought it was really different. Maybe too much. But after having it used a little more, it gets more and more pleasant to use. Liking it so far!

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
A positive post in MacRumors about something Apple did? :p

Jokes aside, I think it looks rather good from all the videos I've seen, I just hope they shrink the play controls and return the shuffle and repeat icons like the iOS 9 version.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I just wish they toned down how bold everything is. It doesn't really match the rest of the OS. It's so different that it's kind of jarring.

The big ugly drop shadow looks stupid on the album art. Nothing else in the OS has huge drop shadows.

What happened to the flat look?

The pause button is so fat that it just looks ugly to me.

Reactions: na1577

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I've been waiting a long time for us to get the ability to have a condensed view of our music like we had in the past where you could see things just as a list of artists/albums/song titles/etc without having to have the album artwork there. When you're trying to drill down into specific artists/albums, especially for an artist where you may have 6, 10, or more albums, there's a lot of scroll involved.

iOS 9 (or was it 8? Can't remember) helped that a lot, but it'd still be nice to have a 'condensed' or 'text only' option.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I've been waiting a long time for us to get the ability to have a condensed view of our music like we had in the past where you could see things just as a list of artists/albums/song titles/etc without having to have the album artwork there. When you're trying to drill down into specific artists/albums, especially for an artist where you may have 6, 10, or more albums, there's a lot of scroll involved.

iOS 9 (or was it 8? Can't remember) helped that a lot, but it'd still be nice to have a 'condensed' or 'text only' option.

I agree. It would be a nice option to have, but I really enjoy having the album art because I buy a lot of EPs and Singles and it's easier to identify a song when you can quickly glance at the artwork.

I can scroll pretty quickly and still be able to find a song I want because the tiny album art stands out way more than the title.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
You can 3D Touch on the album artwork on the mini player to get to the overflow menu.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
How are the nested albums under Artist view? Are all albums collapsed into folders like iOS 8.4 and 6.0, or are they expanded like 9.2 until a certain amount of albums are met (I believe 9.2 expanded the songs in each album until you had 4 or more albums from a single Artist). iOS 7 had all of the albums expanded all the time, which was awful for endless scrolling if you had a large library from a single Artist.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How are the nested albums under Artist view? Are all albums collapsed into folders like iOS 8.4 and 6.0, or are they expanded like 9.2 until a certain amount of albums are met (I believe 9.2 expanded the songs in each album until you had 4 or more albums from a single Artist). iOS 7 had all of the albums expanded all the time, which was awful for endless scrolling if you had a large library from a single Artist.

All albums appear as so (see screenshot) no matter if you have 1 album or 20 albums inside an artist.

At least as of beta 1 that's how it currently stands.

Attachments

• IMG_1126.PNG
    IMG_1126.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 195

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
All albums appear as so (see screenshot) no matter if you have 1 album or 20 albums inside an artist.

At least as of beta 1 that's how it currently stands.

Really? It's a grid view of album covers, no option for a list view like nearly every other iOS music app? That's garbage.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Really? It's a grid view of album covers, no option for a list view like nearly every other iOS music app? That's garbage.

So you say you hate expanded albums but hate that they aren't expanded in the current build in iOS 10? Confusing.

Also keep in mind it is only beta 1. Things will be added/tweaked through these next few months as beta continues.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
So you say you hate expanded albums but hate that they aren't expanded in the current build in iOS 10? Confusing.

Also keep in mind it is only beta 1. Things will be added/tweaked through these next few months as beta continues.

You missed my point entirely. I stated in my first comment that I hated how iOS 7 expanded all the albums in Artist view, wanting instead a clean simple list design like 6.0 and 8.4.1 had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.