Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Are we going to talk about the fact that they left out an NFC API for iOS9?
So much for my dreams of ditching my Oyster card for good.

Wormald

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
London
Screen Shot 2015-06-08 at 18.46.10.png

They said you'll be able to pay for TFL journeys using Apple Pay.

It'd better be lightning fast though - if it takes any more than 1-2 seconds, its going to cause awkward slowdowns, especially when boarding at a crowded bus stop or station.

Reactions: t0mat0

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Contactless TFL payments aren't the same as oyster though, it costs more than oyster and you can't use >Month travel cards by contactless payments

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Contactless TFL payments aren't the same as oyster though, it costs more than oyster and you can't use >Month travel cards by contactless payments
my understanding was that it was the same rate as oyster PLUS you get a weekly cap (so no need for a 7 day pass), but you are right about monthly passes.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Couldn't the Oyster card work as a loyalty card?

I'm surprised that they've not done something about this already. Since TfL is moving to scrap cash payments, I'm expecting them to delve deeper into alternates, which Apple Pay is obviously the start of.

I've been surprised that Oyster hasn't spread out of London more though. I live near Reading, we don't have it, but the barriers have the pad for it, what a waste! Also, I have nightmare using the ticket barriers, so often the tickets stop working and I need to get them to reprint my monthly pass.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London

It's true that you can't use monthly passes on a contactless card; apart from that, contactless and oyster now cost the same, as long as you use the same card every time.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
It's true that you can't use monthly passes on a contactless card; apart from that, contactless and oyster now cost the same, as long as you use the same card every time.

So really it's only a solution for tourists, anyone that lives in the City and regularly travels will buy monthly or longer travel cards because they're cheaper

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I travel most days and use Oyster PAYG, but I live on Zone 1/2 borders and most of my journeys are by bus. I need to make 22 bus journeys in a week for a travelcard to make sense.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
I'm surprised that they've not done something about this already. Since TfL is moving to scrap cash payments, I'm expecting them to delve deeper into alternates, which Apple Pay is obviously the start of.

I've been surprised that Oyster hasn't spread out of London more though. I live near Reading, we don't have it, but the barriers have the pad for it, what a waste! Also, I have nightmare using the ticket barriers, so often the tickets stop working and I need to get them to reprint my monthly pass.

They have, they support contactless and Apple Pay. TfL are more likely to bring out monthly caps for contactless at the value of a monthly travelcard. Their long term goal is to go completely cashless and it seems they'd prefer to just support contactless technologies in the long run rather than have Oyster cards acting as a middle-man.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
So really it's only a solution for tourists, anyone that lives in the City and regularly travels will buy monthly or longer travel cards because they're cheaper
Not true - I use the overground most days for work, zones 1-3, but the savings for a monthly card are only worth it if I use it more than five days a week, which is not every week. PAYG is the better option for me. Lots of Londoners use weekly or PAYG, the savings aren't huge for monthly over weekly.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Not true - I use the overground most days for work, zones 1-3, but the savings for a monthly card are only worth it if I use it more than five days a week, which is not every week. PAYG is the better option for me. Lots of Londoners use weekly or PAYG, the savings aren't huge for monthly over weekly.
Weekly/Monthly perhaps not, but Monthly/Annual is a considerable saving

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
If using Apple Pay vs Oyster takes even a second longer to register through the barriers than that's a massive problem for TfL. Think of it at stations like Victoria and the massive people jam it would create. Of course what it has working in it's favour is that not many people will be using Apple Pay.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
If using Apple Pay vs Oyster takes even a second longer to register through the barriers than that's a massive problem for TfL. Think of it at stations like Victoria and the massive people jam it would create. Of course what it has working in it's favour is that not many people will be using Apple Pay.

And I feel those who do use Apple Pay will tap in/out with their Watches rather than their 'Phones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.