Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I'm wondering when we'll see a new Mac Pro, what it will look like, and how the transition to the Apple SoC will be implemented with regards to RAM, graphics and other expansion cards.

I've been using a Mac Studio Ultra that is performing far better than I expected but I got it to hold me over while I wait for the Mac Pro.

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Almost certainly? Of course it is but it's a huge secret as to when. Like you, I have been waiting... and disappointed... and waited some more... and got disappointed again... to the point of severe frustration.

I could, of course, simply buy a Mac Studio and be done with it but then I would have extra expense for an external PCIe box for my SSD storage drives, something I might not have to buy if the off-handedly mentioned "but that's for another day" ASi Mac Pro makes an appearance in my lifetime and has PCI slot(s) -- even one. And then... I find out I can't afford it!

See how that works?

Last edited:

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Rumors are now indicating 2023 for the debut of the ASi Mac Pro; that could be Spring 2023 or it could be WWDC 2023...

"But Tim Cook promised me an ASi Mac Pro within two years of mentioning the ASi transition at WWDC 2020...!"

No, he did not...

Then COVID, shipping & supply chain issues, and warfare slowed things down...

I predict a 3nm M3-based ASi Mac Pro, for the increased core density & including hardware ray-tracing...

LPDDR5X RAM & four expansion slots; unless Apple also has Apple ASi GPGPUs available, then four expansion slots & two MPX-sized slots; for six slots total...

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
The lack of leaks, or even speculation from those who seem to have the inside track is pretty amazing.

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to open the Pandora's Box of Thunderbolt/PCIe expansion rigs. :eek:

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
The lack of leaks, or even speculation from those who seem to have the inside track is pretty amazing.

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to open the Pandora's Box of Thunderbolt/PCIe expansion rigs. :eek:

Sonnet has some nice looking stuff...?

Wait a little longer. Surely by March we will know something concrete.

Maybe a Spring 2023 sneak peek with a WWDC 2023 full reveal and shipping December 2023...? ;^p

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
the rabbit out of the hat is to see how they make it upgradeable since every aspect of the m1/m2 are all soldered or combined. 🐇
My expectations are so so.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
the rabbit out of the hat is to see how they make it upgradeable since every aspect of the m1/m2 are all soldered or combined. 🐇
My expectations are so so.

My expectation is that expansion slots may very well be the only upgradable feature in the ASi Mac Pro; not for third-party GPUs, but maybe for Apple ASi GPGPUs...

Probably have socketed storage in the form of two NAND blades, like on the current 2019 Intel Mac Pro; Apple could let OWC make more reasonably priced variants, but then there is the whole "trip to the shop" to get everything OK with the security chip or something...?

Maybe we get four NAND blade slots, but only two filled, and no trip to the shop when filling the empty two slots...?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Well, given Apple is promoting Resolve on iPad for the launch of the M2 iPad Pro, we can probably assume Apple's Pro Workflows group have been busy creating project exporters to ease the transition... 'cause FCP is a dead app walking, soon to join Aperture.

In which case, if you don't like Apple's next Mac Pro, Resolve will be an easy "get out of Mac" option.

Reactions: singhs.apps

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Well, given Apple is promoting Resolve on iPad for the launch of the M2 iPad Pro, we can probably assume Apple's Pro Workflows group have been busy creating project exporters to ease the transition... 'cause FCP is a dead app walking, soon to join Aperture.

In which case, if you don't like Apple's next Mac Pro, Resolve will be an easy "get out of Mac" option.
umm no if that was the case Apple would killed FCP before the ARM transition like they did for 32 bit apps.

The fact Apple made FCP ARM compatible for the Mac means that it's staying.
Resolve is great and Blackmagic has a very good relationship with Apple. They worked on things before.

What you implied is like: If Apple promoted Swift Playgrounds on iPad, then Xcode is a dead app..

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
umm no if that was the case Apple would killed FCP before the ARM transition like they did for 32 bit apps.

The fact Apple made FCP ARM compatible for the Mac means that it's staying.

Keep hoping that. I think you'll be disappointed. Aperture users saw plenty of glimpses of the "next gen Aperture" that was used to demo new image plugin technologies.

Resolve is great and Blackmagic has a very good relationship with Apple. They worked on things before.

What you implied is like: If Apple promoted Swift Playgrounds on iPad, then Xcode is a dead app..

No, it would be more like if XCode was losing marketshare to Visual Studio on the Mac, and there had been people crying out for XCode on the iPad for years and now Visual Studio was on the iPad, and the Mac and iPad were now the exact same hardware and XCode had no reason not to run on the iPad, and then Apple had made no announcements about XCode at WWDC for a year, and then Apple were promoting Visual Studio as the example app to *launch* a new iPad.

Microsoft and Apple have worked on things before, and have a good relationship.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Keep hoping that. I think you'll be disappointed. Aperture users saw plenty of glimpses of the "next gen Aperture" that was used to demo new image plugin technologies.

No, it would be more like if XCode was losing marketshare to Visual Studio on the Mac, and there had been people crying out for XCode on the iPad for years and now Visual Studio was on the iPad, and the Mac and iPad were now the exact same hardware and XCode had no reason not to run on the iPad, and then Apple had made no announcements about XCode at WWDC for a year, and then Apple were promoting Visual Studio as the example app to *launch* a new iPad.

Microsoft and Apple have worked on things before, and have a good relationship.
I really think Apple promotes third party apps on iPad because all apps have to be installed thru the App Store and Resolve is 95$ for the full version and Apple takes a cut and also the glaring fact that Apple has no Pro apps of their own on iPad.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
OP, there has already been a leak about it, and it didn't sound great. Find the thread from Amethyst in the Mac Pro forum. His friend also had previously leaked the Studio and he was dead on before it was launched. I feel like we really don't need more threads asking about the AS Mac Pro (similar to how there are now millions of threads asking about support for the [unreleased] AMD and recently released Nvidia GPUs), for this topic, we should just consolidate all into that one by Amethyst, and just keep it going until he posts an updated leak, or more info on launch date, etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: NY Guitarist

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command

I have some info about next Mac Pro?? chips
- Total 40 cores, contains 32 P-Core and 8 E-Core.
- Total 128 GPU Core!!
- A sample board contains PCI-E slot but no ram slot (Doesn't know it exists on Production Mac Pro)
- Try to put 6900XT on that slot, its not working at all.
- Although it is in sample board, stability with macOS is great!!

Thread started in July of this year, lasted just over three weeks, seems like it may have been a M1 Extreme (quad M1 Max) ASi Mac Pro prototype...?

Last edited:

Kimmo

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Yeah, this has been going on for awhile. Personally, I blame Gurman. ;)

December 5, 2021:

Gurman also says that Apple has a redesigned MacBook Air in the works for 2022, alongside a “revamped, high-end iMac with Apple Silicon.” There’s also a new entry-level MacBook Pro, a new Mac Pro, and a new Mac mini in the works for next year.

July 28, 2022:

There’s no secret that the next Apple flagship is in the making. In a long interview held by Max Tech with Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman, a few leaks have been revealed. The interview is long and touches on many topics, including the M2 ‘drama’. However, let’s be focused on the heavy-duty stuff, which is the SoC Mac Pro. It appears that the M1 Mac Pro was ready a few months ago but Apple has decided to halt the launch and wait for a more improved version. “They had an M1 Mac Pro ready to go… months ago, but they (Apple) scrapped that, waiting for the M2 version," said Gurman. “I think the Mac Pro will be announced at the end of the year, and release next year in 2023."

September 25, 2022:

We’re still a few months – and at least one more major announcement by Apple – away before the calendar ticks to 2023. In the latest edition of his Power On newsletter, however, Bloomberg‘s Mark Gurman has detailed some of the hardware announcements he expects from Apple in 2023.

Here is the exact wording by Gurman: "Next year should be pretty jam-packed for Apple. Look for a 15 inch MacBook Air, new M3 iMac, the Mac Pro, updated HomePod, Reality Pro headset and a larger iPad."

Kimmo

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Regarding the M2 "drama" reported by Gurman, my sources deep inside the Apple Donut tell me that a ferocious battle has been waged between the Mea Culpa Boys (Schiller, Ternus and Federighi) and Tim's current favorite (Srouji) about the substance and timing of the Mac Pro 8,1 release.

Schiller, Ternus and Federighi wanted an expandable and upgradable Apple Silicon Mac Pro released earlier this year to keep faith with comments they made during their Pro Apology Tour in 2017. Srouji, feeling quite secure in his position at Apple following his selection to join Tim on his recent Octoberfest trip to Europe, was recently quoted as saying:

"The Apple Silicon Mac Pro will be ready when I say it's ready and not a minute sooner."

On the topic of expandability and upgradability, Srouji was quite outspoken:

"I'm the one who will tell these 'Pro' poseurs what they need and it's not expandability and upgradability. The 8,1 Mac Pro is gonna be great. It'll have more solder than an old Heathkit."

:p

• Haha
Reactions: mode11 and majus

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback and comments.

I wonder if the new Macbook Pro M2 architecture will give us any hints at what may be ahead for Mac Studio and Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.