Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
If you're going to compare, then compare to the competition without time shifting. The whole industry has changed and today Apple vs the competition, Apple does not make better products. Sure they have hardware that performs better in benchmarks, but that hardware can only be used for email and TikTok because most Apps no longer work on Apple hardware.
Your comparison was to Apple of the past ("Back when Apple was struggling, we got fantastic products for good prices, now that Apple is successful we get mediocre products for astronomical prices.") so I answered about Apple compared to the past. You are moving the goalposts and expecting me to reply to something you did not say.

But I'll bite. What are current comparisons that are outpacing Apple's devices for a much better price?

What macOS applications have you been using that no longer work on Apple Silicon devices?

Do you have evidence that "most Apps no longer work on Apple hardware"?

Do you really think Apple devices can really only be used for email and TikTok? That's news to me. I manage to do a lot more with my MBP than email and TikTok. I even manage to comment in MR forums using an Apple device.

Last edited:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
If you're going to compare, then compare to the competition without time shifting. The whole industry has changed and today Apple vs the competition, Apple does not make better products. Sure they have hardware that performs better in benchmarks, but that hardware can only be used for email and TikTok because most Apps no longer work on Apple hardware.
Something must be seriously wrong with my MacBook Air in that case, because I don't even have TikTok, but every one of my 70 or so other applications still work perfectly well.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
but that hardware can only be used for email and TikTok because most Apps no longer work on Apple hardware.
What software? I run MSOffice applications, I run Lightroom and Photoshop, I run messages, I run email, web browsers (Safari, Chrome), I run DaVinci Resolve, I run TurboTax, I run Quicken, I run Windows 11 under Parallels and some associated Windows Applications. I have not found anything I need that I cannot run on the M* series of processors. What I do not run is TikTok.

Reactions: dmr727

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
What software? I run MSOffice applications, I run Lightroom and Photoshop, I run messages, I run email, web browsers (Safari, Chrome), I run DaVinci Resolve, I run TurboTax, I run Quicken, I run Windows 11 under Parallels and some associated Windows Applications. I have not found anything I need that I cannot run on the M* series of processors. What I do not run is TikTok.
All with Rosetta if they are x86 and Windows ARM if not.

Apple has a history of discontinuing Rosetta a few years after release. Good luck with that. Windows ARM is not ready for prime time. You must be doing some pretty simple stuff.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
You must be doing some pretty simple stuff.
I doubt Lightroom and Photoshop are simple stuff. I doubt DaVinci Resolve is simple stuff. Windows 11 is ARM and it works just fine. I don't know about Quicken, TurboTax or the Microsoft applications as they are running on MacOS, not W11. Those apps are the MacOS versions, not windows versions. And whether that is with Rosetta or not is irrelevant to me.

The statement still stands, I have not found an application that I need that does not run on MacOS. Which is in complete opposition of your statement "that hardware can only be used for email and TikTok because most Apps no longer work on Apple hardware".

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
All with Rosetta if they are x86 and Windows ARM if not.

Apple has a history of discontinuing Rosetta a few years after release. Good luck with that. Windows ARM is not ready for prime time. You must be doing some pretty simple stuff.
All of the apps raythompsontn mentioned run natively on Apple Silicon, except for Turbo Tax. Developers have been good about getting their apps updated. I got an Apple Silicon Mac a few months ago and haven't had a need to install Rosetta yet. (I also use MS Office apps, VMWare Horizon Client, 3D modeling software/printing, and a few other random apps.)

If Apple does discontinue Rosetta, I don't think it'll be a big deal as you make it out to be. Either the remaining developers will finally update their apps, or users can just stay on the latest macOS version that supports their apps (just as how some stayed on Mojave for 32-bit support).

Reactions: bcortens

Krazykev

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
Let’s say Apple added all the support to Air and that would cannibalize Pro sales. Apple would be “good guy” but the profits would go down. That’s a bad business decision. Apple is a business. Sometimes people forget that businesses are supposed to drive sales and maximize their profits…
Point of distinction. The thread suggests that the behavior was actually removed or disabled rather than needing to be added. Either way, I sense that we're all on board with the profit motive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.