Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infomark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
OK, I am one of the folks who was personally disappointed with the MBA, I was not though disappointed as an apple fan they did an admirable job, it just was not what I (and I think many others) were hoping for. My ol trusty 12" MBP is one of the best computers I have ever had. I dropped it on the concrete floor at an airport in Australia I have split coffee on it and I have blown up a hard drive in it, and It is a perfect size for me. So I ask this question, what do the good folk on this forum think my chances are of a MBA coming out that will be my next dream machine? I rent movies from netflixs to watch on flights, I don't want to download them I am paying for a service I am happy with. I use firewire drives a lot. I need a bigger not smaller HD and I need a machine that is fast, I also want an intel chip. Am I dreaming and if I am not what timeframe would you think before we see something like this on the horizon. I was ready to replace my 12" a year ago, I don't have an alternate yet.

zanoii

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Sweden
OK, I am one of the folks who was personally disappointed with the MBA, I was not though disappointed as an apple fan they did an admirable job, it just was not what I (and I think many others) were hoping for. My ol trusty 12" MBP is one of the best computers I have ever had. I dropped it on the concrete floor at an airport in Australia I have split coffee on it and I have blown up a hard drive in it, and It is a perfect size for me. So I ask this question, what do the good folk on this forum think my chances are of a MBA coming out that will be my next dream machine? I rent movies from netflixs to watch on flights, I don't want to download them I am paying for a service I am happy with. I use firewire drives a lot. I need a bigger not smaller HD and I need a machine that is fast, I also want an intel chip. Am I dreaming and if I am not what timeframe would you think before we see something like this on the horizon. I was ready to replace my 12" a year ago, I don't have an alternate yet.

Well.. anything new (including the MBA) will be significantly faster than your trusty ol' 12" PB (I have one of those too).

I got myself a MBA (not delivered yet though) to replace my PB and plan to upgrade when gen 2 or 3 comes around (with cheaper SSD).

As for the Firewire: Apple started its move from Firewire to USB a long time ago (iPods without FW support), and I don't think FW will be around in a few years. Mini-DV cameras are being replaced by DVD, HDD and SSD cameras, which is one of the reasons to let go of Firewire support.

Pro machines (Mac Pro and Macbook Pro) will continue to have Firewire for some years, but I think eventually it will disappear from those as well.

..if nothing happens, that is. Just buy yourself a few USB disks.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.