Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Last edited:

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
The iphone5 screen should have been 720p. They failed

I watch 640px on an iPad and it looks fine enough. 720 looks a tiny bit better, not really noticeable since I watch the story and not the pixels. 1080 on a small phone screen is IMHO a total waste of memory space.

Not everything that's technically possible makes sense.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
So let me get this straight.... your complaint is that the new 1080p screen is too awesome?

12215635.jpg

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
So let me get this straight.... your complaint is that the new 1080p screen is too awesome?
Oh, of course not. If there are no disadvantages to a 1080 screen over a 720, then I'm all for it. I am just wondering if this will further cripple the battery.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Oh, of course not. If there are no disadvantages to a 1080 screen over a 720, then I'm all for it. I am just wondering if this will further cripple the battery.

My battery on my Galaxy Nexus is pretty good. Gets me just under 2 days with moderate use (browsing, talking, sms texts, tethering).

I cannot say the same for my previous two android phones (G1, Vibrant). I'm not sure that a 1080p screen would hurt life that badly in a 5" phone which would be able to accommodate a large battery

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Dont forget the IPAD3 and its battery life (awful) due to the retina display. The nice thing is, is that I can charge both devices while I sleep and be good to go for a full day of whatever...

I dont need my device to last DAYS when I have a charger. I aint taking it anywhere that there is no power so, whats the problem???

My Gs3 lasts a full day of screwing around on sprints 3G. I get home at night and charge it before bedtime.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
This is just getting insane now. Do we need a 1080p 5" screen on a phone?

It's the next logical step up in resolution - after all every flagship phone these days (except the iPhone 5) has at least 1280x720.

I can agree that is does not make much sense on anything smaller than say 4.5", but in all honesty neither does something like 960x640 on the 3.5" display of the iPhone 4 if you look at it objectively. 333, 300 or 270ppi - who really cares?

----------

Dont forget the IPAD3 and its battery life (awful)
I dont need my device to last DAYS when I have a charger. I aint taking it anywhere that there is no power so, whats the problem???

I totally agree, I can't remember the last time I was somewhere without power for more than a day. I charge my phone while I sleep (has done for years - just a habit) and never run out of power during the day.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Of course it'll cripple the battery. Look at the iPad 3 (radically bigger battery to accommodate screen resolution and GPU.

Not just the battery, but also performance...unless they dramatically increase the horsepower of the SoC, which would also drain battery! All for what presumably should be imperceptible gains in pixel density. Gotta love brainless phone makers.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
All for what presumably should be imperceptible gains in pixel density. Gotta love brainless phone makers.

I kind of agree with you - personally I think the hysteria surrounding 'retina' displays and similar are totally out of order.

Funnily enough, when the iPhone 3 had a 480x320 display screen resolution/ppi was not a big deal at all for most iPhone-users. When they jumped to the 960x640 of the iPhone 4 though it was suddenly a very big deal and of huge importance.

People are strange :D

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I kind of agree with you - personally I think the hysteria surrounding 'retina' displays and similar are totally out of order.

Funnily enough, when the iPhone 3 had a 480x320 display screen resolution/ppi was not a big deal at all for most iPhone-users. When they jumped to the 960x640 of the iPhone 4 though it was suddenly a very big deal and of huge importance.

It's cuz apple said it was revolutionary.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

It was a big deal because it will immediately noticeable how much better the retina display was. I'd suggest that the leap from 720p to 1080p on such a small device would be far less noticeable. The pixel density at 720p is already difficult for the naked eye to distinguish, if at all possible. 1080p on a 5" display is unnecessary overkill.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It's technically interesting.

But most phone makers wont put in the time to get the supporting technology down and make a polished product.

It will just be even bigger, ungainly, hideous platter phones to accommodate massive batteries for inefficient GPU's and CPU's.

And then there is the question of user experience? What does 1080P look like on a 4.7" display. Probably super tiny and miserable to look at.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010

Fanboys take whatever position suits their defense of their company.

When it was 480x320, they said it was perfectly fine and dandy and that higher resolutions are just an unnecessary gimmick. When it became 960x640, they said anything less than that is awful garbage.

Likewise, they'll say that 1080p is completely unnecessary because of the "retina" issue and that the iPhone will never need to go higher.

When the iPhone inevitably doubles its resolution again 5 years down the line, they'll say it is "resolutionary" :rolleyes:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm very impressed by the lg Optimus g. I didn't think I would be. Some of the new features they're introducing look really novel too. Once again the competition feels like they're fueling innovation. Or trying to at least. Kudos to lg.

And since its a non removable backplate, maybe it'll finally have the build quality people are seeking. Now that jelly bean is up to par software wise it's about time they offer better builds since it seems to be a big point of contention for users.

----------

If it was Apple pushing to 1080, a lot of the replies here would be singing quite a different tune, I'd wager.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I'm very impressed by the lg Optimus g. I didn't think I would be. Some of the new features they're introducing look really novel too. Once again the competition feels like they're fueling innovation. Or trying to at least. Kudos to lg.

And since its a non removable backplate, maybe it'll finally have the build quality people are seeking. Now that jelly bean is up to par software wise it's about time they offer better builds since it seems to be a big point of contention for users.

----------

If it was Apple pushing to 1080, a lot of the replies here would be singing quite a different tune, I'd wager.

The features are nice, but I'm sure it will not work as promised. I am 90% sure I will just flash stock Android on it as soon as I can and it will be faster and smoother. I just love the hardware on that thing.

As for Apple, I don't really care. Let them have their iPhone 5. It's a fine phone. If it's too big for their hands, then who am I to argue? Just let me enjoy my insane, beastly phone without giving me grief about the OS or the look because it doesn't have an apple on the box.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Oh great. More massive android phones.

Why why WHY can't we get a great device that isn't 4.8+

Because research and sales clearly show people love these size phones. If there were a huge demand for smaller phones, you can bet someone would be making them.

Anyone watch the video and see the Quadrant score on that new LG phone? Well over 7000, wow!

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Oh great. More massive android phones.

Why why WHY can't we get a great device that isn't 4.8+
People want big phones. This is obvious to anybody who actually has any grasp of market trends. If Apple weren't so anti-choice, they would have rolled out a nice 4.7 inch iPhone to go with the new 4 inch iPhone and would have claimed more marketshare than ever, but they're being pigheaded as always.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is just getting insane now. Do we need a 1080p 5" screen on a phone? Does this resolution or ppi density affect the battery life or is that only determined by the screen size?
Would the current crop of mobile processors/GPUs handle 1080p screens? I'd think performance could be an issue pushing that many pixels. One criticism of the retina MBP is just that, the retina display is making such demands of the GPU that it struggles to keep up in some instances.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I'd wager you wouldn't be so alarmed if the iPhone 5 had a 1080p resolution on it rather than an Android phone having it.

C'mon, now. I've never even owned an Apple product. I've always been Windows and Android. I'm not one of those people. I'm just speculating if the screen upgrade is worth the battery life downgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.