Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
By now a rough outline of the next-generation iPhone SE is coming into focus, giving us some idea of what to expect from Apple’s next budget-friendlier mobile offering. It seems it may be in either an iPhone XR or iPhone 11 chassis—probably the former to help cut down on cost—with a single lens camera and standard Face ID setup. It will hopefully include an LCD display for us tinfoil contact lens-wearers who suffer from the unrelenting strobes of Apple’s OLED pulse-width modulation.

But what about MagSafe? It seems a huge missed opportunity to delay bringing MagSafe to the bottom-of-the-line iPhone past this next generation—especially since the SE goes more than a year between generations—or, God forbid, to simply never include the feature at all. I mean, just think about the MagSafe-accessory-sales floodgates that would open as a result of more people than ever carrying around this magnetic wonder-technology in their pockets. Even if many or even most opted for cheaper knockoff MagSafe-like accessories, there would still be a significant new market of people willing to shell out for the full walled-garden, first-party MagSafe experience.

Perhaps its potentially-impending absence has to due with the logistics of the SE design, like the basic logic of minimizing both cost and the changing of existing production methods. Or maximizing space within the body of the device itself, especially when LCD displays already take up more space than OLED (and, again, Apple: You better keep using LCD :)).

Whatever the case may end up being, it would be a real shame to see the next SE go without a rather significant (but mundane, once one is accustomed to it) feature like MagSafe. Not because it’s really that important or anything, but because what I am going to do with all these accessories (especially the handy Battery Pack) I spent my money on while trying to use iPhones with OLED displays over the past two years?

Ah, well. Here’s to good things from SE fourth-gen. Or we can always keep dreaming toward the fifth and beyond.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
What do you all expect/want from the fourth-generation iPhone SE? Do you think its touting MagSafe is just a silly pipe dream, or is it a real possibility?

Reactions: compwiz1202

tcatsninfan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2022
I was going to post to ask people's thoughts about the iPhone SE 2023, but rather than make a different thread I'll add to this conversation.

I know that Jon Prosser has said that the next SE will have the XR form factor, but I don't think that makes sense anymore given that the iPhone 14 reuses the A15 chip. If Apple went down this path, there would be very little distinction between an iPhone SE XR and an iPhone 14 except for price.

The XR has a 6.1" screen just like the iPhone 13 and 14. There's no way they would put the A16 chip in an SE, it will definitely use the A15 again (which is even what the current SE uses). So, next year, people could pay $799 for an iPhone 14 or (potentially) $479 for a 128GB iPhone SE XR? I don't think people would be willing to spend 40% more money just to get 2 cameras instead of 1, MagSafe, and a couple other minor features.

The lower price point of the SE has always been mainly justified by the smaller size. Therefore, I think next year's SE is more likely to be based on the iPhone 13/14 Mini design. Even though people always said the Mini didn't sell well, I think that was because it was hard to justify selling the SE and the Mini at the same time for such vastly different prices.

Also, recent news that the Plus size isn't selling well lends further credence to the idea that Apple needs to maintain a smaller form factor iPhone at a lower price.

• Love
Reactions: sorgo †

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I don't know how many consumers would pay $49 for an Apple MagSafe case to pair with a $429 or $499 iPhone SE4. Consumers would rather have a modern 12MP front camera or a rear camera with night mode.

Think of the upgrade path for most SE4 consumers. They're coming from iPhone 7, 8, or SE2/3 so they won't have any MagSafe accessories. It's the same reason why the rumored XR chassis with 5.7-inch display makes sense. It's larger than what they've been using but not too large to cannibalize to rest of the iPhone family.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I agree with JPack. I don’t think too many SE users would pay the Apple tax on MagSafe compatible tech when third party accessories are so much cheaper. I was considering moving to the SE3 however decided to keep my 12 Mini due to already having the MagSafe battery pack and charging puck.

I’d like to see the SE4 with MagSafe compatibility but I reckon it’s unlikely as a redesign would cost money and Apple have likely calculated they wouldn’t shift a much higher volume of MagSafe accessories.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I was going to post to ask people's thoughts about the iPhone SE 2023, but rather than make a different thread I'll add to this conversation.

I know that Jon Prosser has said that the next SE will have the XR form factor, but I don't think that makes sense anymore given that the iPhone 14 reuses the A15 chip. If Apple went down this path, there would be very little distinction between an iPhone SE XR and an iPhone 14 except for price.

The XR has a 6.1" screen just like the iPhone 13 and 14. There's no way they would put the A16 chip in an SE, it will definitely use the A15 again (which is even what the current SE uses). So, next year, people could pay $799 for an iPhone 14 or (potentially) $479 for a 128GB iPhone SE XR? I don't think people would be willing to spend 40% more money just to get 2 cameras instead of 1, MagSafe, and a couple other minor features.

The lower price point of the SE has always been mainly justified by the smaller size. Therefore, I think next year's SE is more likely to be based on the iPhone 13/14 Mini design. Even though people always said the Mini didn't sell well, I think that was because it was hard to justify selling the SE and the Mini at the same time for such vastly different prices.

Also, recent news that the Plus size isn't selling well lends further credence to the idea that Apple needs to maintain a smaller form factor iPhone at a lower price.
That's why I don't think the next SE is coming in 2023. There's too much overlap, the current SE already has A15 so there'd be no change in chip. It would just end up basically being an LCD iPhone 13/14.

What I see happening is they wait till 2024 and give it either the A16 or A17 (depending on what the iPhone 15 gets) along with USB-C and the different chassis design. It just makes more sense to me.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
With each passing generation of SE, it seems less and less likely that additional engineering goes into the phone. Take an existing form factor that Apple can get (or already has) in bulk, engineer in the new chip...done. Adding MagSafe or putting in a different camera just doesn't seem like it will be done.

(Note: it was pointed out to me recently that the SE 2016 had the 6S camera and not the 5S camera, so that's an exception)

If the next SE is going to be on the XR design (ick), then I expect it to be exactly like the XR, with a newer chip, full stop. Perhaps some day Apple will put further engineering into an SE. Perhaps this is the one. But I will be surprised when it happens.

EDIT: Gosh, I hope that the XR isn't the next SE. I would want it to be the mini form factor. If the SE becomes the XR, when the 13 mini goes away then the SMALLEST iPhone that Apple offers would be the 14. Unless all the pundits are wrong and the mini comes back on the 15 (I could see that: each year the main phone has a companion alternate size, in odd years the mini and in even years the plus. But I don't see any rumors that suggest that.)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'm curious to know where this was rumored. The iPhone XR has a 6.06" screen that Apple calls a 6.1" screen. As far as I can tell, Prosser said the next SE would be "just the iPhone XR" but did not mention anything about a 5.7" screen size.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Surpr...del-as-an-Apple-iPhone-XR-clone.643779.0.html

• Wow

sorgo †

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016

I feel it has more with keeping costs (rather than size itself) down. Smaller doesn’t always necessarily mean lower-cost, after all, and I could see a mini chassis design being too expensive for use in an SE regardless of whether it’s released in 2023 or 2024 (the latter seems likelier to me honestly).

I don't know how many consumers would pay $49 for an Apple MagSafe case to pair with a $429 or $499 iPhone SE4. Consumers would rather have a modern 12MP front camera or a rear camera with night mode.

Think of the upgrade path for most SE4 consumers. They're coming from iPhone 7, 8, or SE2/3 so they won't have any MagSafe accessories. It's the same reason why the rumored XR chassis with 5.7-inch display makes sense. It's larger than what they've been using but not too large to cannibalize to rest of the iPhone family.
Again, I’m not sure where this idea that large-ish size = cannibalization comes from. The 8 Plus didn’t cannibalize sales of the X just as the XR didn’t cannibalize sales of pricier phones in that generation.

I'm curious to know where this was rumored. The iPhone XR has a 6.06" screen that Apple calls a 6.1" screen. As far as I can tell, Prosser said the next SE would be "just the iPhone XR" but did not mention anything about a 5.7" screen size.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Surpr...del-as-an-Apple-iPhone-XR-clone.643779.0.html
Yeah, it seems like a custom, scaled-down XR would only add to cost, thus defeating its purpose for use in an SE. Not sure where the fixation on ‘SE’ necessitating ‘small’ comes from.

I agree with JPack. I don’t think too many SE users would pay the Apple tax on MagSafe compatible tech when third party accessories are so much cheaper. I was considering moving to the SE3 however decided to keep my 12 Mini due to already having the MagSafe battery pack and charging puck.

I’d like to see the SE4 with MagSafe compatibility but I reckon it’s unlikely as a redesign would cost money and Apple have likely calculated they wouldn’t shift a much higher volume of MagSafe accessories.
I had this same dilemma as well but ultimately decided that the visual comfort of an LCD display was worth the loss of MagSafe compatibility. I’m sure my decision will at least partially backfire—the Battery Pack can really come in handy when in a pinch, and it’s great not to have something dangling from the device like a typical external battery.

Though I can’t help but wonder: What if this is a business tactic by Apple to keep those interested/invested in MagSafe buying into the upper echelons of iPhone models? Seems logical to do so, and not too user-hostile if it keeps the SE serving its main purpose as a budget-friendly, powerful device. One place I can see this gatekeeping posing some deal of annoyance, however, is if an SE user lives with people who do have MagSafe charging pads and other shareable accessories.

That's why I don't think the next SE is coming in 2023. There's too much overlap, the current SE already has A15 so there'd be no change in chip. It would just end up basically being an LCD iPhone 13/14.

What I see happening is they wait till 2024 and give it either the A16 or A17 (depending on what the iPhone 15 gets) along with USB-C and the different chassis design. It just makes more sense to me.
Agreed about the overlap—I’m not sure why everyone seems to think it’s coming in 2023…sure there are rumors, but there isn’t any precedent for a year-long gap in between SE generations.

I again feel like it’ll be in the XR or 11 chassis (to reduce cost, I’m not sure size is the real issue here), and hopefully include an A16. A15 seems repetitive while A17 seems a tad far-fetched. But yeah, holding out hope for 2024. 2023 is too close for comfort, but maybe these rumors are only destined to go as far as the whispers of a flat-sided Watch last year and we have little to worry about.

Reactions: Andeddu

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Again, I’m not sure where this idea that large-ish size = cannibalization comes from. The 8 Plus didn’t cannibalize sales of the X just as the XR didn’t cannibalize sales of pricier phones in that generation.

Yeah, it seems like a custom, scaled-down XR would only add to cost, thus defeating its purpose for use in an SE. Not sure where the fixation on ‘SE’ necessitating ‘small’ comes from.

Significant hardware innovations are becoming challenging (look at iPhone 12 to 14). As a result, Apple's product segmentation will rely more on display size and cameras. The XR and 11 caused confusion for some consumers as it had a larger display compared to the $999 model. We saw Apple change strategy starting with iPhone 12.

A smaller 5.7-inch display with a larger bezel that fits into the 6.1-inch chassis should reduce overall cost. Apple doesn't need to include expensive Face ID cameras. The absence of a notch cut also means higher LCD yields. For example, Apple made the 10.2-inch iPad display even though they could have used the 10.5-inch panel from the old iPad Pro. Same thing with the 10.9-inch iPad Air even though the chassis can accommodate 11-inches.

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.