Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crocodile-man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
We know for a FACT that there is a Laptop superdrive in the works which is supposed to be out this fall. And we've heard rumors about the ghz Powerbooks and their inclusion of the superdrive. I'm sure everyone read the powerpage post about this. What I want to know is if anyone has found any evidence of a slot loading superdrive. Sure, a laptop superdrive is great, but we all know that Apple is not about to increase the height of the TiPB, (Come on... just think of the lineup on the site... "Slim powerbook with COMBO drive, or NEW THICKER powerbook with superdrive" It ain't happening) and that means it's gotta be slot loading.

So, wouldn't we have heard about this slot loading drive by now (just like we heard about the tray loading one back in the summer) if we were expecting to see it machines anytime soon?

Has anyone dug up anything on this? Can we expect to find out about such a product before it gets released within a new system, or can it be kept under the covers till the system gets announced?

void

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2002
Not here
I think they might release a slightly thicker TiBook with a superdrive. After all, they increased the iPod's size for the 20 gig. They just put it in the fine print.

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Originally posted by vjv
I think they might release a slightly thicker TiBook with a superdrive. After all, they increased the iPod's size for the 20 gig. They just put it in the fine print.

No, they decreased the size of the 10 and 20gb iPod.

DaedalusDE

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Long Island, NY
i wouldnt worry about a superdrive powerbook because now you can use an external burner with iDVD... yes thats right kiddies since apple is releasing iDVD commercially you dont need a superdrive to use it... the only drawback is that the burner still has to be pioneer (but i'm sure there a way around that) besides apple might be switching to sony dvd-burners if pioneer doesnt get their +r/rw tech done

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: The Next Ti PowerBook G4. Superdrive FACTS

Originally posted by crocodile-man
We know for a FACT that there is a Laptop superdrive in the works which is supposed to be out this fall. And we've heard rumors about the ghz Powerbooks and their inclusion of the superdrive. I'm sure everyone read the powerpage post about this. What I want to know is if anyone has found any evidence of a slot loading superdrive. Sure, a laptop superdrive is great, but we all know that Apple is not about to increase the height of the TiPB, (Come on... just think of the lineup on the site... "Slim powerbook with COMBO drive, or NEW THICKER powerbook with superdrive" It ain't happening) and that means it's gotta be slot loading.

So, wouldn't we have heard about this slot loading drive by now (just like we heard about the tray loading one back in the summer) if we were expecting to see it machines anytime soon?

Has anyone dug up anything on this? Can we expect to find out about such a product before it gets released within a new system, or can it be kept under the covers till the system gets announced?

sometimes apple can keep a secret...not often, mind you, but they do keep a secret from time to time and i don't live that far from cupertino

maybe there is a slot loading superdrive

remember the lcd imac or the ipod...not too much accurate stuff on them before they hit the shelves...sure, some rumors got them right but it was not as obvious as, let's say, ddr powermacs which most in the know knew were inevitable...or would you think powermacs would run standard 133 sdram well into 2003?:p

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Confimation of the iPod's sizes (to stop any else having to find it)

Size and weight (5GB model)
Height: 4.0 in
Width: 2.4 in
Depth: 0.78 in
Weight: 6.5 oz (185 g)

Size and weight (10GB model)
Depth: 0.72 in
Weight: 6.5 oz (185 g)

Size and weight (20GB model)
Depth: 0.84 in
Weight: 7.2 oz (204 g)

{1984}

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2002
New York City
Didnt this post start out about the TiPowerBook? I think its possible to see a new superdrive ti book that will be a TINY bit larger. Even if it would be a little thicker i wouldnt mind...

crocodile-man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Ok, so lets say they did opt to increase size of the Powerbook. Wouldn't they have to upscale quite a bit to fit the tray loading drive in the powerbook? (I'm not sure of the specs.. but I would think it would be more then an small increase)

phil c

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2002
UK
its kind of inevitible there will be a size increase to accomodate new bits and pieces or as in the case of many previous models it may just get uncereomoniously ditched in preference of an all new model. if its to keep up the running in the mobile workstation field - more power will be required to justify the astronomical asking prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.