Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2007
And how many Palm Pres and Nexus One's have been sold compared to the iPhone and iPod touch platform? Apple is simply killing them. All without flash and multitasking.

Geeks just don't get it. The average user (i.e. NON-GEEK) doesn't care about flash or "multitasking". They care about software that is fun and easy to use, period.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Geeks just don't get it. The average user (i.e. NON-GEEK) doesn't care about flash or "multitasking". They care about software that is fun and easy to use, period.

I am an average user and I'd really like to have multitasking (at least 3 at a time) and flash for hulu.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Seeing your user name and the threads you have created so far since you joined MR, I guess we know what type of person you actually are. Don't need to reply, you know it yourself.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
The average user probably doesn't know or care what Flash is. Who are they going to blame when they buy something touted as a better web browsing experience if one of the sites they like uses Flash and won't display? Apple of course. They are not going to be impressed by a few people telling them it's the scourge of the Internet and they shouldn't need it. They won't see beyond it not working.

MrFrodo

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
Well, you made a good point - some smart phones can browse flash, some can multitask, some have a really cool camera, but the iphone is still way more successful! Why? Because the user friendliness together will all the apps offered are much higher weighted by the user than some technical features.

Any I bet it will be the same with the ipad. You can complain as much as you want about the missing cam, multitasking, flash bla bla bla, but at the end when you see how nicely the new developed apps like the calendar, the photo album, the iwork suite and so on work on the ipad, then it once again out-weights the missing features.

Because of that I'm sure the ipad will be a success!

Palm Pimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
The fact that you know what multitasking is means you are not an average computer user.

Most casuals know what multitasking means, and even those unfamiliar with the word know the sense of the word.

Casuals browse with multiple tabs on Facebook, Hulu, etc with their Twitter open while downloading music while LISTENING to music. They might have Word open too.

The point is ALL this IS multitasking, to the point of being taken for granted, and casual WILL notice the first time they have to close the browser to open Notes. Just thinking about it makes me crack up.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Most casuals know what multitasking means, and even those unfamiliar with the word know the sense of the word.

Casuals browse with multiple tabs on Facebook, Hulu, etc with their Twitter open while downloading music while LISTENING to music. They might have Word open too.

The point is ALL this IS multitasking, to the point of being taken for granted, and casual WILL notice the first time they have to close the browser to open Notes. Just thinking about it makes me crack up.

I put my wife in the category you just defined and I have not heard her complain once while using her iPhone that she had to close a browser to IM someone, whatever.

I think you are crazy, silly, and just looking to stir up fights.

MrFrodo

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
The point is ALL this multitasking, to the point of being taken for granted, and casual WILL notice the first time they have to close the browser to open Notes. Just thinking about it makes me crack up.

Ok, lets look at this a bit more objectively: On the iphone: I write a mail. Now while writing I need some information from the net. So I press the home button, I go in safari and surf. When finished I press the home button, click on the mail app icon and you know, where I am? Right where I was before and I continue typing! Now, what is the issue? You want to see both apps on a 10 inch display side by side? Do you really think that would be convenient? I doubt it! So in my opinion this issue is quite hypothetical and in reality it will work out fine without the multitasking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.