Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Is the Smart Keyboard for the iPad! Yuck this thing is hideous. The keys are so cramped (on iPad Air 3) and the fabric is thin and flimsy. Plus the keys just feel off I can't put my finger on why. Just feels incredibly awkward compared to a normal keyboard so will probably be taking this one back.

It also seems incredibly overpriced for what it is, even by apple standards. Are there any 3rd party options better than this?

spudWorks

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
I'd say to give it some time. I had the 9.7" with the ASK and it initially was not at all comfortable to type on. But, as I got used to it, I found that I actually preferred it over my MBP (Retina Pre-Butterfly). I now have the 11" with the ASK and, there's a slightly different learning curve but I still find that, once I'm through it, they're really not that bad. And it's still way better than my now MBP butterfly-keyboard which is... straight garbage in comparison.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
Honestly all keyboards besides the 12.9” one felt too small for me and I made many errors. So I ended up buying a bluetooth external keyboard instead for my air 3.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Not a huge fan of the ASK, either.

I have a multi-device Logitech K780 that's permanently on my desk as well as a Logitech K380 that's supposed to be more portable.

Really love the K780. The built-in dock is super convenient and space saving. Only wish it were full size as I use it for the PC as well.

The K380, I honestly don't use. I find the onscreen keyboard much more convenient when on the go or while lying down on the couch or in bed. I found that the only time I want to use a physical keyboard is when I'm on my desk and the K780's already got that covered.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I bought the ASK for my 10.5 Pro and never liked it as a keyboard or a case and switched to a couple of different lightweight Bluetooth keyboard for out and about. For my 12.9 Pro, I got the Logitech Slim Folio and like it but it does add weight and bulk. And as the OP said, the ASK is way overpriced.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I have the 10.5" smart keyboard which I got on clearance and think it's much better than I expected.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think I’d like an external BT keyboard like the iClever BK05 one of the Logitech models, or even something like the Brydge. However, I think the ASK would get a lot more use, and is more convenient in more scenarios.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am loving the Smart Keyboard for my 11” iPad Pro. It offers the best integrated typing experience and the keys feel great. I have never felt that it was too cramped. The smart connector means no battery to charge and no switch on turn on / off. I understand they aren’t for everyone, but no other keyboard comes close, IMO.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I love the ASK on my 12.9 iPP, the fabric makes it very easy to clean and the size is perfect! No pairing, no charging, and so thin. It drives me mad though that there is no backlighting, can't see the keys in the dark!

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I really like my ASK. I only got the Apple Pencil when I first got my 10.5 inch pro. I was holding off as I felt it was quite expensive for something that I probably wouldn’t use. After 5 months of having my pro I decided to pick up the ASK at Christmas as a treat for myself and it was about £20 cheaper on amazon so I decided to get it. Since I got it I’ve never used the iPad without it. I think the design is great. It’s very light and adds little weight and bulk to the device. The keys are nice and soft and comfortable to type on and I like the fact that it connects very easily to the iPad and doesn’t need to be charged. It can be easily cleaned too. I like the slim design so much that I haven’t bothered with a case for the back of my iPad. When I’m not using my iPad I just put into a padded neoprene pouch and after 2.5 years it’s protected it well.

gxxr

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2019
After much deliberation, I got the ASK when I recently bought an ipad pro 11”. I love it. I think it’s great to type on, it’s thin enough to always be with me, and I never need to think about charging it. It extends the usability of the ipad so very much.

With my previous ipad air 2, I had a bluetooth keyboard. That was a waste of money. The keyboard itself was ok, but it would lie around for months because I couldn’t be bothered to carry a second device. And when I finally needed it, it was never charged.

Coming from the terrible butterfly keyboard, this one actually feels a little better ;) And the fabric over the keys is a great idea, why didn’t they do that with the butterfly keys?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I think I’d like an external BT keyboard like the iClever BK05 one of the Logitech models, or even something like the Brydge. However, I think the ASK would get a lot more use, and is more convenient in more scenarios.
Do you have any experience with the iClever keyboards? I'd looked at them, but I heard some say they are flimsy.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I have a multi-device Logitech K780 that's permanently on my desk as well as a Logitech K380 that's supposed to be more portable.

Really love the K780. The built-in dock is super convenient and space saving. Only wish it were full size as I use it for the PC as well.

The K380, I honestly don't use. I find the onscreen keyboard much more convenient when on the go or while lying down on the couch or in bed. I found that the only time I want to use a physical keyboard is when I'm on my desk and the K780's already got that covered.

I know it's been a few months, but with moving to working-from-home, I'm starting to seriously consider a multi-device keyboard for my already too-small desk. I like the size (don't need a numeric keypad) and price of the K380, but I found some decent pricing on the K780. How is the feel of both? Some places have said they're similar, while others say the K780 is nicer.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I know it's been a few months, but with moving to working-from-home, I'm starting to seriously consider a multi-device keyboard for my already too-small desk. I like the size (don't need a numeric keypad) and price of the K380, but I found some decent pricing on the K780. How is the feel of both? Some places have said they're similar, while others say the K780 is nicer.
To be honest, I haven't touched the K380 in years. It's in a backpack somewhere. The K780, I use as my regular office keyboard. The K780 has full size keys and weighted, solid base so it feels more premium than the K380 to me. I can dock the 12.9" iPad on it and it won't fall over due to the weight.

The K780 isn't really meant to be portable. It was designed to sit on a desk and stay there.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
To be honest, I haven't touched the K380 in years. It's in a backpack somewhere. The K780, I use as my regular office keyboard. The K780 has full size keys and weighted, solid base so it feels more premium than the K380 to me. I can dock the 12.9" iPad on it and it won't fall over due to the weight.

The K780 isn't really meant to be portable. It was designed to sit on a desk and stay there.

Thanks - I've been using the Smart Keyboard on both iPads for portability and I don't mind it, but was looking at a better desktop option (both iPads on stands, Mac mini w/monitor at the center, all three sharing the same keyboard)—it seems the K780 is a really nice keyboard if you're not wanting mechanical ones and the weighting really helps. How has the K780 held up for you?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I like my 12.9 Smart Keyboard more than my lapotp keyboard on my 2016 pro

i have it constantly strapped to my 2017 ipad Pro. It makes the 12.9 worth it. Without it I’m not sure it would be

but the new magic keyboards for $350 are ridiculously priced

and i got a good used cheap one for not much, that I got replaced because it wasn’t staying connected after long

i didnt use the 9.7 pro one much but i sold it and made some money from getting that one used too but in like new shape and reselling locally

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks - I've been using the Smart Keyboard on both iPads for portability and I don't mind it, but was looking at a better desktop option (both iPads on stands, Mac mini w/monitor at the center, all three sharing the same keyboard)—it seems the K780 is a really nice keyboard if you're not wanting mechanical ones and the weighting really helps. How has the K780 held up for you?
Very well. Bought it back in 2017 and I think I've replaced the batteries just once. I use it and a Logitech MX Ergo Plus trackball paired with a Windows desktop and 2017 iPad Pro 12.9.

Kinda wish it had the full PC keyboard layout though with dedicated Home, End, PgDn, PgUp keys. Sent an email to Logitech with the product suggestion and they mentioned they had gotten a lot of requests like mine.

I've recently tried the Logitech MK850 combo but didn't like it as much. I think K780 feels more premium and its very low profile built-in dock is the perfect height for my setup so the Pro 12.9 doesn't block my PC monitors (already set to the highest the stand will allow).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I’m not a massive fan of the keyboard typing experience but I always knew going back to the Apple one. Why? It’s thin and compact and not bulky. So I can just use my iPad as a tablet far easier than most cases

Waiting for magic keyboard for sure

Reactions: Ghost31

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
It’s funny - I think the ASK is one of my favorite things I’ve bought. I did prefer the one for the original 12.9 pro to the one for the 10.5/Air 3, but I’m definitely getting used to the smaller one. What I didn’t like was the keyboard folio I had with my 2018 pro - I hated how I had to hold the keys when I wanted to use the iPad, or remove the entire thing. At least with the ASK you can just pop off the keyboard and still have a cover on the back if you want to use your pad in your lap. And I find typing on it a breeze!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.