Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilzen&Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Krefeld, Germany
Hi to everyone, I've been reading all forums here for a long time, but finally I've decided to join because I have a very specific question I didn't find anywhere. Becoming a student this year I came to buying a notebook for my studies, and I didnt look for anything else except macs. I've found out that the most suitable one for me would be macbook air - I'm not a game-addicted person, neither movies fan as well. All i would use air for would be surfing the web, keeping some music, chatting and writing in iwork. But here's what really makes me puzzled: not that far ago I fell in love with the Left 4 Dead game by valve and it's the only thing which makes me keep windows on my imac, but I also wonder if there's any chance I'll succeed in launching this game on the Air? I mean I wont be sad if it won't work, but I would be very happy if I cold play in it at least with the lowest settings. And here's another problem coming: I'm getting about 1.2k dollars soon, but I live in Russia where even the Air rev.a(80g) is still cost from 1500$(!), but I found two great deals - I can either buy a rev.a wit hd for 1125 and further upgrade hd to 128gb ssd(i really found it - it's even 5mm thick zif!) or to get some more money and get rev.b for 1400$. But the problem is that it'll be very hard for me to get more money, so I just wonder if rev.a with ssd could launch L4d? Please don't tell me anything about 13 Pros or so on cause I really need the air's portability and I won't vitally need to play l4d on it. Thank you for all replies)))

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Paragraphs.

The specs of the game indicate that it may run, but I suspect it would be sluggish.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
The air rev A has a pretty poor graphics card, so even on its lowest settings it likely will not run. Requirements state that at a minimum it needs a 128MB video card, and the air has onboard. It might work, but I highly doubt it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The air rev A has a pretty poor graphics card, so even on its lowest settings it likely will not run. Requirements state that at a minimum it needs a 128MB video card, and the air has onboard. It might work, but I highly doubt it.
I missed the Rev A bit, then again I stopped reading after the bold. ;) In that case, no, I doubt the game would run.

Ilzen&Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Krefeld, Germany
OK, sorry for the text style, I'll try to be more concise from now)) And thanks for your replies, I'm really interested in the rev.b now))

assassinm4

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Hong Kong
my girlfriend is buying the latest model and im gonna put on L4D for her. i have doubt on whether it is gonna lag with 9400M with even the lowest setting.

rev.a uses GMA3100 (or 950?), which my girlfriend's Macbook is loaded with. and it lags, period. even with a faster CPU (2ghz C2D) and more ram (3Gb).
i'll update you few days later when i've got her MBA in hand and L4D installed

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
I've seen videos of it running on the aluminum macbook 13" models with the 9400M graphics.

Runs pretty solid on low-med settings. Probably see the same or slightly lower performance on the Air with 2.13Ghz. Haven't bothered loading it on my Rev. C as I have a desktop for gaming.

Although the fans would likely run full blast the whole time. But I had that with my Late '08 unibody 15"er with the 512MB 9600GT so as long as you have headphone on it won't bug you.

On a Rev. A you can forget it though. The GMA X3100 can barely be called "graphics"

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I've seen videos of it running on the aluminum macbook 13" models with the 9400M graphics.

Runs pretty solid on low-med settings. Probably see the same or slightly lower performance on the Air with 2.13Ghz. Haven't bothered loading it on my Rev. C as I have a desktop for gaming.

Although the fans would likely run full blast the whole time. But I had that with my Late '08 unibody 15"er with the 512MB 9600GT so as long as you have headphone on it won't bug you.

On a Rev. A you can forget it though. The GMA X3100 can barely be called "graphics"

Windows 7 thinks the Rev A air has ok gaming graphics :rolleyes:

air_rev_a.png

Ilzen&Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Krefeld, Germany
Well, I wish I could get air rev.c, but you know, here in Russia it costs about 2500 bucks so it's really unattainable for me, and it's really hard to buy а cheaper one from the States or elsewhere.
Nevermind, I have а great iMаc so it doesn't really matters to me:)

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
The Rev. A is horrible at Left 4 Dead. Tried it, won't work. The Rev B or Rev C will handle it fine at native resolution

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
If you cannot afford a rev B/C with SSD, pass on the MBA. Wait until you have more funds or the prices drop accordingly. Really, you are better off with any other Mac product from the last three years than the rev A MBA. Snow Leopard and the 9400m/SSD will make the rev B/C MBAs even better...

good luck...

Thezine

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
Get the REV.B/C with SSD. You'll be definitely fine with it.

The Rev.A, even with SSD, was not the definitive machine that apple wanted, the REv. B is !

Go buy it .... Now ! ; )

Have fun.

Ilzen&Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Krefeld, Germany
So now I'm doing my best to get some extra money to buy rev.b with HD - I'm getting it for -only- 1400$..!!!
I've decided that even though I'm not a gamer. I'll need a better graphics than rev.a's would be... And also i'm interested in upgrading HD to SSD with 256Gb when they come out which is NOT possible with this damn ZIF, so now I wonder if there would be 256Gb SATA ssds for rev.b soon??

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Sata-lif

So now I'm doing my best to get some extra money to buy rev.b with HD - I'm getting it for -only- 1400$..!!!
I've decided that even though I'm not a gamer. I'll need a better graphics than rev.a's would be... And also i'm interested in upgrading HD to SSD with 256Gb when they come out which is NOT possible with this damn ZIF, so now I wonder if there would be 256Gb SATA ssds for rev.b soon??

Be forewarned, the drive connector from the motherboard to the drive is a SATA-LIF connector, which is not very common (to say the least). Hopefully, we will see this connector type become more prevalent and see a corresponding increase in drive options, or an enterprising individual comes up with an alternate drive cable for the Rev B/C MacBook Airs which does micro SATA or standard SATA connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.