Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Found this to solve my problem on 10A190 with incompatible PCIe device that led to KP on boot: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=3233.0

Code to disable a device for a given boot:
Code:
dev @device@
" reg" delete-property
" interrupts" delete-property
" none" encode-string " compatible" property
device-end

Where @device@ stands for specific device, in my case it was pci3.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Just wanted to say a THANK YOU for the info in this thread.

Fooling around with OSs and thought Id killed my G4 iBook:
couldn't boot, couldn't eject the CD, couldn't get to OF. No key combination would result in any change. Could turn it on..to nothing, then the power light would go off. Used the caps lock key to see if alive or not.

Then found I could power on via button, hold down to power off, power on and hold the button down, would peep and could hear the HD working, continue to hold down and the open was : 'shut-down or 'continue to boot' (cant remember exact wording) which would take me back to a seemingly dead (almost) iBook..or to boot up the previous OS...which I lacked understanding off.

But I could eject the CD and replace it with a Leopard one..but still no go.

Then found this thread..(which I was missing thru not asking the right question worded correctly basically) and:
o To reset the system NVRAM, enter reset-nvram

o To reset all changes made to Open Firmware, enter set-defaults

o To reset the machine, enter reset-all

..and yep - got back to Leopard booting...and now Sorbet installed.

Hurrah !!!
..so glad to have my iBook back!!!

Reactions: Raging Dufus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.