Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Something’s been low-key nagging at me for a little while as I flip-flop between machines running Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard, versus running stuff newer like Sierra (or Mountain Lion, via VMware):

What’s the process behind the “Open With…” fly-out in Finder and why does it behave differently on, from what I can suss, pre-Lion vs. post-Lion?

Specifically, if I right-click-select a file in Finder to “Open With…”, the delay for “Fetching…” on Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard is fairly minimal as the OS scans its system’s own applications for suitable candidates. The delay, even on my iBook G3 clamshell running Tiger Server, isn’t very long (perhaps a couple of seconds).

Meanwhile, the same task on, say, my fastest MacBook Pro running Sierra, takes maybe ten, sometimes up to 20 seconds to search all machines within a local network for applications on not just its own system, but also on other networked systems. The delay can get vexing.

I have tried to find a definitive answer for this change in behaviour, or maybe a plist flag which toggles this behaviour, but I keep coming up empty (possibly because I’m searching on incorrect terminology).

Has anyone here ever pinpointed this Finder behaviour and determined how to alter it, both on pre-Lion and post-Lion systems?

EDIT:

On a lark, I decided to rebuild the launchservices database on the two offending systems, and this seems to have reduced the amount of time as well as, for now, not displaying applications on different machines as “Open with…” options.

Still, this doesn’t get to the heart of why these systems were even looking for network-situated applications in the first place.

I’m going to tentatively flag this as “Resolved” for now.

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I’ve used all macOS variants from Tiger up, and it’s never been anything but instantaneous for me on any of them. Never even seen “fetching” always just immediately there on any of the operating systems - also with several Macs on the Network

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
I’ve used all macOS variants from Tiger up, and it’s never been anything but instantaneous for me on any of them. Never even seen “fetching” always just immediately there on any of the operating systems - also with several Macs on the Network

That’s curious.

I should also add how “Fetching…” on T/L/SL only retrieves local applications, but the applications which show up after “Fetching…” on post-SL systems are any (conceivably launchable) applications found on other systems within the local network.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
That’s curious.

I should also add how “Fetching…” on T/L/SL only retrieves local applications, but the applications which show up after “Fetching…” on post-SL systems are any (conceivably launchable) applications found on other systems within the local network.

Just verified again, alt clicking and going to the Open With menu as quickly as I could; Was still there immediately for a PDF at least. - Though currently there's only this Mac on my network - and my Time Capsule

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
None of my Macs is troubled by time lag on the open-with command ...
Maybe running diskutil and repairing permissions might help?

That doesn’t really make a lot of sense, given how one doesn’t run DiskUtil for permissions repair on versions like Sierra.

It also doesn’t explain why the newer OSes want to retrieve possible applications installed on other machines in the network, while the older OSes stick to just what’s on that particular device.

This behaviour isn’t a new issue. I think I’ve experienced it ever since having a post-SL machine on the network. I have two machines capable of running post-SL OS X/macOS builds, and both exhibit this behaviour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.