Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi All
As we are busy planning the show for this year I thought I'd put my usual shout out to any MR members who are coming to Birmingham this March.
I'll be on stand C91 if you want to say hello.

I guess I've met about a 12 of you over the years. Some very generous souls with cups of tea!

Anyway I'm the incredibly attractive guy standing in front of a BenQ monitor in a blue shirt. Come and say hello (especially first thing when it's quiet). Also let me know what fun things you are buying or have seen. Generally I see very little of the show, but it's always a fun time!

I'm only looking for a sensor clean, L bracket and reflector at the show. But that doesn't stop the looking!

A word of warning though. If you happen to be passing the Leica stand please ignore @kenoh drawling in the corner at the M10! He's not allowed to buy one because she who must be obeyed wants a new kitchen/bathroom/holiday/shoes!

This is me!
dgandy2_v_5aug11_pa_b.jpg

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
He'll sell his second kidney. His firstborn. His M9.

You are getting silly now. Sell the M9? Behave!!
[doublepost=1549922359][/doublepost]
And how is he going to explain the new bulge in his camera bag?

She isn’t used to seeing bulges so probably wouldn’t notice....
[doublepost=1549922486][/doublepost]
Tell her you’ve got a work thing! Our IT guy used to tell his girlfriend he had to work late to do some work on the servers when we used to pop for a drink after work.
Hang on GAS bag! Mac Mini and an Xs Max?! You have bought toys too!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You are getting silly now. Sell the M9? Behave!!
[doublepost=1549922359][/doublepost]

She isn’t used to seeing bulges so probably wouldn’t notice....
[doublepost=1549922486][/doublepost]
Hang on GAS bag! Mac Mini and an Xs Max?! You have bought toys too!
The mini? Very cheap. I told Mrs AFB it’s the cheapest Apple computer they sell!
New Xs Max? No that’s the iPhone 7+. They all look the same!

Reactions: kenoh and Clix Pix

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
There are times when I really rather appreciate not being accountable to anyone else -- I can think about and then buy an item of my desire without having to justify the expense to someone..... This has advantages but also disadvantages, as probably there are times when I would have benefitted from having someone say, "hey, whoa, wait a minute there!"

Back when my husband was still alive, yes, there were times when I would surreptitiously sneak bags of new clothing or shoes purchases into the house and pop them right into a closet where he wouldn't see.... Cameras and lenses, though, well, that was a bit different, as he was fairly knowledgeable and would notice pretty quickly if suddenly I were using a camera body or a lens that was not the same as what I'd been using the week before..... That said, each of us had our own hobbies and we were pretty considerate of each other in allowing for expenditures (within reason) for those, as long as we could jointly keep the household running with the usual normal expenses as well.

Reactions: mpfuchs and kenoh

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
There are times when I really rather appreciate not being accountable to anyone else -- I can think about and then buy an item of my desire without having to justify the expense to someone..... This has advantages but also disadvantages, as probably there are times when I would have benefitted from having someone say, "hey, whoa, wait a minute there!"

Yup , I can second that . Nothing like a spouse to put a reality check on things . The late Mrs. Someoldguy has been gone quite a while now and sometimes I miss her" gentle reality checks". ("Yer gonna buy a WHAT , For HOW much ???!!! No , I don't think so!!!???")

Reactions: kenoh and oblomow

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
All joking aside Mrs AFB has never vetoed any of my purchases. I’m naturally very frugal, so although I have quite a bit of photography gear, very little of it was bought at full price.

There’s always some good discounts to be had at TPS. I’ll probably have a walk round and see what is available! But I’m certainly not buying another camera or lens.
I have what I need.

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Just to be clear, the current Mrs kenoh (hope that never changes, I won’t get this lucky twice in one lifetime) is amazing with my one a day Amazon habit and my “no, I got it cheap on eBay” comments.

To be clear, I over pay the mortgage substantially every month to get rid of it, I am very efficient on spending in general. I grew up in financial hardship and so since being in control of my finances, I am in control. I have savings behind me, I have no credit cards nothing. I only ever spend what I can afford to lose. I don’t drink, I don’t do drugs, I work like a slave.... so I can buy what I like, though she takes pleasure in busting my balls for it. Mainly because of the steady stream of small packets that arrive almost every day from Amazon. Usually bits of plastic to maintain my cameras. Jeff bezos has a lot to answer for!

I too have all I need and this year is about making use of everything I have because in reality, there is nothing I need except to take time and learn to use the capabilities of all I already have.

Except one of those Benq SW271 monitors @Apple fanboy.... lovely but expensive.... I could get that, ditch the PC editing rig and reclaim half my desk space. The PC I currently edit on is a windows equivalent of an iMac. However, while it is powerful, it is also heavy and bulky and awkward shaped so I welcome the idea of using my MacBook Pro with an external monitor instead.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just to be clear, the current Mrs kenoh (hope that never changes, I won’t get this lucky twice in one lifetime) is amazing with my one a day Amazon habit and my “no, I got it cheap on eBay” comments.

To be clear, I over pay the mortgage substantially every month to get rid of it, I am very efficient on spending in general. I grew up in financial hardship and so since being in control of my finances, I am in control. I have savings behind me, I have no credit cards nothing. I only ever spend what I can afford to lose. I don’t drink, I don’t do drugs, I work like a slave.... so I can buy what I like, though she takes pleasure in busting my balls for it. Mainly because of the steady stream of small packets that arrive almost every day from Amazon. Usually bits of plastic to maintain my cameras. Jeff bezos has a lot to answer for!

I too have all I need and this year is about making use of everything I have because in reality, there is nothing I need except to take time and learn to use the capabilities of all I already have.

Except one of those Benq SW271 monitors @Apple fanboy.... lovely but expensive.... I could get that, ditch the PC editing rig and reclaim half my desk space. The PC I currently edit on is a windows equivalent of an iMac. However, while it is powerful, it is also heavy and bulky and awkward shaped so I welcome the idea of using my MacBook Pro with an external monitor instead.
I can do you a nice deal! Especially on an ex demo model (which I’m currently looking using!).

I think Mrs AFB does okay with her craft purchases to. I can relate to financial hardships. Left school at 15. Got burgled more times than I care to mention living in Gateshead.
Just as well I had nothing worth stealing then!

What I need more than gear, is some time and motivation to get off my behind and use it!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I can do you a nice deal! Especially on an ex demo model (which I’m currently looking using!).

I think Mrs AFB does okay with her craft purchases to. I can relate to financial hardships. Left school at 15. Got burgled more times than I care to mention living in Gateshead.
Just as well I had nothing worth stealing then!

What I need more than gear, is some time and motivation to get off my behind and use it!

Gateshead.... Thats where me dads fae...

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Does he have my Oasis CD’s from the 90’s?
Or my electric drill? Or my silver candelabra?

Ha ha ha... Nope... But... True story... After we were robbed he STILL had his Bee Gees tapes.... Even thieving scumbags filtered out the crap music...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ha ha ha... Nope... But... True story... After we were robbed he STILL had his Bee Gees tapes.... Even thieving scumbags filtered out the crap music...
Lol. After they took all my CD’s they only took a few of the better tapes. The hi-fi was donated to me. It was so crap they left it!

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I'll be there. Certainly on Tuesday but possibly another day too work/family dependant. I've always hoped that I might one day be more than just another punter wandering around. Mind you, I'm not sure I'd really fancy giving a talk when so many people will get up and walk out half way through. All the shiney stuff is too tempting for people to listen to someone blabbing on about their career for too long!

@apple-fanboy how do you take your tea?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.