Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
I've seen lots of thread about "loving" the various mac models,and what about the good and old powerbook g3?

This week I got an 333MHz "Lombard" in very good cosmetic shape,wonly without HDD!
It amazes me how a laptop could be so customizable.

Unfortunetly I don't have a charger for it to see if it runs,but asap I'll get one and put this thing on working order with os9 :)
Show yours too!

Some Links

Powerbook G3 on wikipedia

Lowend Mac Powerbook G3 "Kanga" Guide

Lowend Mac Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet" Guide

Lowend Mac Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet II" Guide

Lowend Mac Powerbook G3 "Lombard" Guide

Lowend Mac Powerbook G3 "Pismo" Guide

WiFi PC Cards for PowerBooks Running Mac OS 9

WiFi PC Cards Compatible with PowerBooks Running OS X

:eek:
14327872_beeae1ae10.jpg
:apple:

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I've got a 1998 Wallstreet 233MHz. Aside from the appearance, its kind of a POS to be honest. I got it basically brand new (probably less than 15 hours of use on it) and the stupid thing is basically good for nothing more than OS 9. The graphics card does NOT play well with OSX at all and 233MHz is horrifyingly slow even with 384MB of RAM. I'm pretty sure it was also built using lead and bricks because it weighs in at 7.8lbs which puts it up there in the "luggable" category as far as I'm concerned. I'd really have liked to get my hands on a Pismo just to have a PB G3 that is actually usable and more mobile. Aside from those problems, the screen is much nicer than the clamshell and the speakers are loud.

Attachments

• 100_0870.JPG
    100_0870.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 731

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I have a Pismo that I got from an eBay auction. I have had this wonderful laptop for over 6 years now and still use this today...:D Initially when I got my Pismo it had a 400Mhz G3 processor which I immediately upgraded to 500Mhz G3. Later on I was lucky to get the rare 900 Mhz G3 which did not perform well due to overheating issues. I now have a G4 550Mhz processor inside, upgraded memory to 1Gb, a 120Gb hard drive and Dual layer 8X DVD slot drive burner installed. I still love this laptop and use it frequently for internet/emails...:apple:

Pismo-1.jpg

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Eeeh! I used to have one of these! I loved it to death, but we sold it when it was actually worth a little bit. I guess it worked out, since the money was put towards my iPod touch... But I still miss it.
Not sure how much ram/Mhz ect it had, but it ran 10.4 just fine. A little slow, but fine. I used iTunes, played games that were pretty CPU heavy, like Creatures 3, and went on the internet with it.

Ah... How I wish I still had it. XD

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I have a G3 Clamshell with a load of problems (I cannot install any OS on it's unbereble keep's panicking at OS startup . Changed HDD and Optical unit no luck.

And I also have a G3 700 or 800 12 inch white ibook with a 4 hour autonomy (lolz i keep it on for weeks just by closing the lcd) the only problem it has (don't know why , it was cheap (may be the reason) the shadows on lcd are not black but red like ATi :D some visual effect .... maybe from the card or drivers , Changed the OS to 10.3 but no luck , the same happens , IT DOES NOT BATHER ME , IT's more coool this way :p I love it. I wish it good luck so it will run for ever'

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I've got a 1998 Wallstreet 233MHz. Aside from the appearance, its kind of a POS to be honest.

I don't really think it's such a bad computer - OS X on *any* 233MHz machine is pure madness, IMO.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
I've just obtained one of these, having never before encountered one. I have to say, it feels like a much higher quality product than the Titanium Powerbook that was my very first Apple. I'm a bit confused though: mine is a 333Mhz machine with OS 9.2 and a DVD-ROM, but unwilling to play DVDs due to a lack of decoder hardware. Was there originally a PC Card or something like that for DVD watching?

I'm sure I could find a software decoder somewhere, but I'm guessing performance would be inadequate. And don't worry, I'm not that bothered about watching DVDs, just curious.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I've just obtained one of these, having never before encountered one. I have to say, it feels like a much higher quality product than the Titanium Powerbook that was my very first Apple. I'm a bit confused though: mine is a 333Mhz machine with OS 9.2 and a DVD-ROM, but unwilling to play DVDs due to a lack of decoder hardware. Was there originally a PC Card or something like that for DVD watching?

I'm sure I could find a software decoder somewhere, but I'm guessing performance would be inadequate. And don't worry, I'm not that bothered about watching DVDs, just curious.

Some of the older G3 PowerBooks needed a DVD decoder PC card to play DVDs properly. This was sold in a kit with a DVD-ROM drive as an upgrade package for the PowerBook G3. I think the 333MHz one lacked the DVD-decoding hardware while the 400MHz had it onboard. The 233, 250, 266, 292, and 300MHz PowerBooks needed the DVD-decoding hardware card to be able to play DVD movies. I think with OS X everything was done in the software though. The DVD decoder card was only for playing DVDs in OS 9.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
I have a G3 Clamshell with a load of problems (I cannot install any OS on it's unbereble keep's panicking at OS startup . Changed HDD and Optical unit no luck.'

If you can find the graphics chip, put a metal or cardboard shim between the gpu chip and the case, the ibooks have many graphics chip problems and i have found this can lead to the os panicking on startup

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
I have a G3 Clamshell with a load of problems (I cannot install any OS on it's unbereble keep's panicking at OS startup . Changed HDD and Optical unit no luck.

I have a Clamshell with OS install problems, traced to a bad RAM chip, replaced and all was fine.

rburrasca

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2024
I have a Pismo that I got from an eBay auction. I have had this wonderful laptop for over 6 years now and still use this today...:D Initially when I got my Pismo it had a 400Mhz G3 processor which I immediately upgraded to 500Mhz G3. Later on I was lucky to get the rare 900 Mhz G3 which did not perform well due to overheating issues. I now have a G4 550Mhz processor inside, upgraded memory to 1Gb, a 120Gb hard drive and Dual layer 8X DVD slot drive burner installed. I still love this laptop and use it frequently for internet/emails...:apple:

Pismo-1.jpg
Could you share the specific information (i.e., parts by model number and manufacturer) that caused you to have such a wonderful machine? I'd love over time to be able to put together one just like it. Just asking. Thanks!!!

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Could you share the specific information (i.e., parts by model number and manufacturer) that caused you to have such a wonderful machine? I'd love over time to be able to put together one just like it. Just asking. Thanks!!!
It's a pity you're probably nowhere near my location (in Europe) as I have 3 Pismo's and plan to sell one. Two are with their original box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.