Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
So I just replaced a 27" 4K monitor which I had to set the scaling options to both 150% and 200%, with a 27" 2560x1440 monitor at 100% scaling and honestly I find the 1440p monitor looks WAY better. For those that have tried Windows 11, is scaling better in it? I am on the latest version of Windows 10 and have always had problems with the scaling. But its shocking to see how much better the 2560x1440 screen looks compared to 4k.

However, macOS has been perfect at 4K or 5K screens since the first retina Mac. Not sure why Windows is such a problem with this. And its not the monitor, I tried a few and I even used the same monitor on my Mac mini and it looks far better than windows.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i was reading this this morning (windows latest.com)

the article is about the new Windows 11 and how Microsoft has introduced a new feature that will allow the operating system to remember window locations based on monitor connection.

Reactions: icanhazmac

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
That is wonderful news! That is also an issue I have. Have you heard anything about better high resolution handling?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That is wonderful news! That is also an issue I have. Have you heard anything about better high resolution handling?
I believe that improved scaling, so overall it should (hopefully) be an improvement over what we have on win10

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I'm using the 11 Beta for 2 months now with high dpi monitors. When it works it's great, but it bugs out a lot, just as Windows 10.

• Windows uses imo the best approach to scaling across all systems, as it does not affect the performance (at least I don't feel it) and stays sharp
  • you can have all kind of setups with different monitors and different scaling settings.
  • Windows 11 remembers window positions pretty reliably, but it also does not from time to time and it all falls apart as before. But it's definitely an improvement compared to 10, which did not work at all!
  • for me the scaling still breaks every time the system turns off the screen or goes to sleep. I have to unplug and plug in the monitor or set the ui scaling in the settings back and forth to fix that. Same as in 10
  • it sometimes takes AGES to activate my external monitors, no idea what causes that

some other observations:

• Grouping of windows works ok, but you can't switch between groups using ALT-TAB, which is a huge oversight imo. You have to use the task bar and click stacked icons you can't unstack anymore
  • the cool new window tiling overlay when hovering the maximize button of a window does not work in many many apps. I guess that's because they implemented the buttons in a custom way. Firefox, VSCode (all Electron apps), the Windows Terminal are examples for that. It's useless like this

I hope that helps, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.