Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
The European PS3 Starter Pack

Sony has confirmed that there is no PS3 price cut looming for us Europeans but it’s hoping to soften the blow by announcing the new PS3 Starter Pack.

This is a new bundle that will kick in from next week (July 18) and for your £425 you will now get a choice of two first-party games and an extra wireless SIXAXIS controller. OK, so the PS3 is still too expensive but at least you now get a bundle worth around £115, compared to the £50 price cut the Yanks got.

The games on offer are Motorstorm, Genji: Days of the Blade, Resistance: Fall of Man [Manchester’s favourite], Formula One Championship Edition and Ridge Racer 7.

Gizmodo UK Link

Attachments

• ps3-starter.jpg
    ps3-starter.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 100

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Oh wow, you get the 2 games that they're already bundling in with some shops. So we're getting an extra controller. It's not exactly useful for them bundled games...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Genji..... they can't even give it away ;):D

But an extra controller & 2 games is not too shabby. But like Jimmi said, this most shops are bundling one or two of those launch games in now anyway becuase Summer is notorious time for selling hardware.

Let's see what they come up with for Xmas.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I think you missed the part where the $499 60gb PS3 sold well.

People just don't want to pay $599/£430 upfront. Most shops here already bundle 2 games with the system, normally Motorstorm/Resistance and a cheaper game.

My point was, if you buy a 499$ PS3 without nothing... you HAVE to buy games for it that is just a given, most people will buy at least 2 games initially and tons more in the long run...

So tell me why a $499 + 2 $60 games (total $619) is a better value than a 599$ PS3 with 2 games AND a controller, things you just NEED for your PlayStation 3 and were gonna buy anyway? It would just mean people are in a false pretense that Sony's price drop was temporary.

But if stores were already bundling games with the system then yes, the whole $599 upfront thing would make sense. (I bold this in an attempt to prevent going a step backwards in the argument)

To be honest I've always thought people were really pushing the whole "PS3 overpriced" thing out of the limit, especially considering that for most people who complain, the real issue is not an actual economic problem but a matter of principles where they feel its an outrage to pay X amount for a certain object even if it isn't really overpriced or out of their price range.

To me, the real problem of the PS3 is that it doesn't have too many games that guarantee a purchase... that is it, if the PS3 had Halo 3, Grand Theft Auto IV and Metal Gear Solid 4 as exclusives to buy right now then they would be flying of shelves and no one would be complaining about the price tag.

It is a fact that human beings can never be truly satisfied.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Stores have begun back-pedalling? In GAME today there was no Resistance or Motorstorm in the bundle options, same for Gamestation.

This is all very mad!

Oh, I haven't seen the E3 MGS trailer yet... They were running a video of MGS4 and I couldn't tell if it was very old or the new one. But the graphics were a huge leap back. There was so little texturing and the wheels on vehicles were good ol' hexagons.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
The characters looked quite good, but nothing else did. I can't see how that would take up so much room. Short of the sloppiest of sloppy coding or HD FMV's.

Long story short. We weren't the only ones looking at it with a bemused "It looked better" expression on our faces.

Was the original trailer (the one I've seen, where Snake's putting that gun in his mouth) CG or something? It looked a world better than the shop trailer.

A Pittarelli

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2007
theyre just clearing the 60gig inventory so they can drop the single sku 80 gig price down before christmas. does this not make sense to anybody else?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I'm kinda confused.

So, what do they do with all those PS3s in Europe? Repack em all? Or is the Starter Pack box just a box that the store places the wanted items by the customer into.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm kinda confused.

So, what do they do with all those PS3s in Europe? Repack em all? Or is the Starter Pack box just a box that the store places the wanted items by the customer into.

Yeah I assume its a box 'overwrap' so you just slide it over the normal ps3 box, and the actual games are just given to you and not technically 'in the box' if you like.

Especially if there is a choice of titles available.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
later the same day it was rumored the 60gig was being discontinued somebody from sony put out that they wont be discontinuing it.

Also i reserved the special edition version of the new grand theft auto. comes with a authentic safety deposit box and duffle bag:D i cant wait

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
^That was Haz that said it so if he did then thats whats going to happen. that two controller 2 game thing is not bad at all but since some of the stores offer that in that region already...it will have no effect.

Bless

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Sony just isn't listening to consumers. Most people don't care how much is bundled with a console, if its $600, its just too much.
Sony saw their sales on the 60 GB explode when they lowered the price $100, shouldn't that clue them in? :confused:

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Just imagine if Sony took one for the team and dropped it to 300 dollars w/ a free game. :eek:

Omg. Even I would go out and buy one. ;)

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
That was Haz that said it so if he did then thats whats going to happen.

Didn't he also say something about 4D and all that nonsense.
What about the new PSP that "wasn't happening".
Global launch?
Konami exec said MGS4 is going multi platform

:D

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Sony just isn't listening to consumers. Most people don't care how much is bundled with a console, if its $600, its just too much.
Sony saw their sales on the 60 GB explode when they lowered the price $100, shouldn't that clue them in? :confused:
So what else is new? Has Sony EVER listened to consumers?

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
After reading this thread I can only come up with one question:

WTF is Sony doing???!!!

I say, If Sony doesn't lower the price to around 300€ they're screwed!

Xbox already has a lot of games and installed user-base, the Wii is breaking sales records everyday, the only thing that Sony has to compete is the price point, and they're still making the PS3 even more expensive than the other choices?

If Sony doesn't catch up NOW I say, there will be no PS4, Sony console's division is going down in the next 2/3 years.

I own a PS, PS2 and PSP.

The next console I'll be buying won't be from Sony.

What a bunch of retards those execs...

EvilDoc

macrumors 6502a
I cant think of a good reason to pay $499-$599 for a console that doesnt even have a hand full of decent games out for it. I mean the PS3 is cool but for that much money there should be more games. Games can make consoles or break them...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

^ This is exactly what we've been saying CodedDude.

Stores like Play.com have already been packaging those games with the HDMI cable and a Movie at less than the £425 RRP for a long while now.

Well before the Sony bundle pack was announced. I'm guessing Sony have been throwing retailers a load of games and movies as incentive to shift stock for a long while now.

The point remains - if they've been doing it for weeks because stock isn't moving, making bundles official without a significant price cut means pretty much sweet FA.

However I doubt any of us will see a proper price cut until Christmas 07

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.