Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Strange to read face ID is a big benefit. My wife's X360 HP had it in 2016, and its always worked brilliantly. Why is Apple so slow in some things?s?s?
The “Windows Hello” system that supports their form of “FaceID” is not nearly as secure. For one, it can be bypassed more readily by hackers. Second, even holding up a photo of the person can sign it in, because it doesn’t use LiDAR to scan facial features with depth information like FaceID does. So there’s a big difference between those two things.

Reactions: Cirillo Gherardo

Cirillo Gherardo

Suspended
May 9, 2024
Strange to read face ID is a big benefit. My wife's X360 HP had it in 2016, and its always worked brilliantly. Why is Apple so slow in some things?s?s?
They aren't "slow" in anything. The iPad Air doesn't have Face ID because Apple is limited in the number of things it has to create artificial segmentation and higher prices in the Pro. Same with the 120Hz display. iPad Pro has had one of these displays for seven years now. It should have made its way to the Air by now, if not for artificial segmentation.

Reactions: 3Rock

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't see the issue. If they appear the same to you then buy the cheaper one.

I've see a few people commenting lately about how things are too expensive and aren't worth the difference in price from a mid-tier product like that's some kind of problem. People also keep complaining that Apple prices things too high. If it's priced too high and you don't need or want the incremental improvements from the cheaper device, the answer seems simple.

Is this because people have come to see themselves as "top shelf" kind of customers and aren't sure what to do when they don't need a top shelf device?
The latter is definitely a big problem here on MR.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Mesh shading and ray tracing are two hardware elements that seem to get glossed over. They matter beyond games (where they tend to be cited) for architects, designers, marketers, engineers, and more. Assuming those who design apps for those customers take advantage of it… a marketing friend jumped from Apple last year due to the absence of those elements in Macs. No idea how well Apple’s implementation works for either of those elements nor how important they’ll be on an iPad…

Reactions: Kal Madda

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Other than some likely M4 specific AI functionalities in iPadOS 18 announced at WWDC........ Not really.

It is a killer device though. For what it is, the iPad Pro M4 is excellent. I think we'll see that very few people truly need it, but that screen alone is tempting. There'll be various reasons why people get it but it won't be too much to do with absolute capability unless Apple really unveils a lot next month.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
The point is the software in both the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are capable of editing HDR content.
Which goes back to the point I made earlier. It’s really no different with the Macs. The same software can run on both the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro. It’s just that the MacBook Pro Has better hardware and CPU power than the MacBook Air, just like the iPads…

Reactions: iPadified

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
There’s a very noticeable sound quality level, at least to me. The bass is much better with the quad speaker setup.
‘Much better sound. You need to listen to one and see.
I guess that'll have to be something I'll test when I check them out in the store on Wednesday. Just curious though, do the speakers on the Air still produce stereo sound when in portrait?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
And the point of this is....? People don’t even know their iPad history:

The origins of the iPad Pro: the 9.7-inch iPad Pro replaced the iPad Air 2.

Differences:

-Processor (not noticeable on iOS 9)

-Quad Speakers (like today)

-Better screen tech (the Air 2’s display is just fine)

-Quad LED on the camera (really? Nitpicking at this point).

-4K video (perhaps the only one with some significance... but who uses the camera anyway?)

-Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard support (I will ignore this since the current Air does support this).

Apart from Quad Speakers, where’s the major difference?

Like I said... Pro is just a marketing term. What does it actually mean? Quad Speakers, sometimes it has a better processor, and it has a bit better screen tech. That’s all. Interested? Buy the Pro. Not interested? Buy the Air.

I’m glad Apple respects their principle and core idea of the iPad Pro.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a

Like I said... Pro is just a marketing term. What does it actually mean? Quad Speakers, sometimes it has a better processor, and it has a bit better screen tech. That’s all. Interested? Buy the Pro. Not interested? Buy the Air.

I’m glad Apple respects their principle and core idea of the iPad Pro.

Or buy the base model. Arguably the Air is stuck in the middle. While its a lot cheaper, it will loose support sooner. And while the base model will loose support earlier too, the base model will see less money being be lost.

Average Benchmarks Apple A14 Bionic → 100% n=9​

Average Benchmarks Apple M2 → 157% n=9​

Average Benchmarks Apple M1 → 132% n=9​

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
You can if you connect it to an HDR monitor.

Adding more hardware can always increase capabilities. I could say that adding a Mac Mini to an iPad can add a lot of additional features. Your analogy is flawed. Generally speaking, MacBook Air is to MacBook Pro what iPad Air is to iPad Pro. Similar devices but one is faster, has better quality screens and speakers, comes with premium features.

The whole premise of this thread is wrong. It's good that a cheaper device comes with as many pro features as possible. The fact that MacBook Airs don't support more than one additional monitor is *bad* - not a differentiator you want. Ideally, both MacBook Pro and Air should have the same functionality, but for those willing to pay more, you get the fastest and best. That's a good thing. And for the most part, this is how it is for both Macs and iPads.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Or buy the base model. Arguably the Air is stuck in the middle. While its a lot cheaper, it will loose support sooner. And while the base model will loose support earlier too, the base model will see less money being be lost.

Average Benchmarks Apple A14 Bionic → 100% n=9​

Average Benchmarks Apple M2 → 157% n=9​

Average Benchmarks Apple M1 → 132% n=9​

Yeah, I’m not particularly interested in software updates, but this “small” differentiation has been present since the iPad Pro’s inception.

Not new, not unexpected, and in fact quite similar to Macs.

This criticism doesn’t make much sense in my opinion.

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
Source on that please? It doesn't track with MacRumors:

iPad Pro, 12", 2015: Came with iOS 9.1, last supported OS was iPad OS 16 (released in January 2024)
iPad Air 2, 2014: Came with iOS 9.1, last supported OS was iPad OS 16 (released in January 2024)

iPad Pro 10.5", 2017. Came with iOS 10.3, last supported OS is the current OS.
iPad Air 3, 2019: Came with iOS 12.2, last supported OS is current.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
As it currently stands iPads are iPads. They all run the same OS whilst paying a bit more each time gets you a few more bells and whistles. Apps like Shapr3D and Procreate actually run quite well on an A-series processor for casual use amnd emulators will run full-speed; you only need to spend more if your livelihood depends on it. And whilst iPadOS could use a better file manager, disk utility and other 'base' Mac features, if you never use them you'll never miss them.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The “Windows Hello” system that supports their form of “FaceID” is not nearly as secure. For one, it can be bypassed more readily by hackers. Second, even holding up a photo of the person can sign it in, because it doesn’t use LiDAR to scan facial features with depth information like FaceID does. So there’s a big difference between those two things.
This is a kind of huge misinformation that only people who know nothing about Windows (and yes we are in a site of Mac users...) can believe...
You must be confusing Windows hello with the camera indentificaiton of some cheap Android tablets.
You cannot use a photo to sign in, Windows hello does not use the webcam but does a 3D scanning of the face, and it's not something that can be faked with a photo. Lidar is not the only 3D scanning soluition, there are others and Windows hello uses near infrared imaging to authenticate...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This isn't a problem with this years models - it is the problem the iPad has had since iPad Pro. At least the first iPad Pro had the advantage of supporting Apple Pencil and the smart keyboard..but the iPad Air M1/M2 and iPad Pro's back to 2018 are all basically the same, minus the speed differences and screen improvements.
Every year people think AAPL will finally make the iPadOS relevant and somehow at least run Mac apps. Every year people are disappointed.
It is true...but this year is different 😂

I guess it just feels more incredulous when you have an iPad Pro with more power than an M2 Pro Macbook Pro...and yet there are only a tiny handful of things that can ever push the iPad to the limit.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Other than some likely M4 specific AI functionalities in iPadOS 18 announced at WWDC........ Not really.

It is a killer device though. For what it is, the iPad Pro M4 is excellent. I think we'll see that very few people truly need it, but that screen alone is tempting. There'll be various reasons why people get it but it won't be too much to do with absolute capability unless Apple really unveils a lot next month.
There’s VERY VERY little Apple will announce at WWDC that will be M4 exclusive if at all.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
This isn't a problem with this years models - it is the problem the iPad has had since iPad Pro. At least the first iPad Pro had the advantage of supporting Apple Pencil and the smart keyboard..but the iPad Air M1/M2 and iPad Pro's back to 2018 are all basically the same, minus the speed differences and screen improvements.

It is true...but this year is different 😂

I guess it just feels more incredulous when you have an iPad Pro with more power than an M2 Pro Macbook Pro...and yet there are only a tiny handful of things that can ever push the iPad to the limit.
With iPadOS, nothing can ever push the M-series SoC to any limit. It’s the biggest joke about Apple. Tim Cook is so afraid of cannibalizing the Mac, which Steve was never afraid of!

I would only use an iPad Pro if it ran Mac apps. And that’s fine for AAPL as I would upgrade more often and they’re surely making more money per device than selling M3 MBAs. You add up everything you need and you can spend $3000 for an iPad Pro.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Just a another case of diminishing returns of a luxury item. Like this is a new thing?

The fantastic thing is that these new Airs fill a gap. Apple probably wants you to buy the Air, in bulk :D

IMO, the line-up this year is very good.

Reactions: leifp

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

The Pro Motion screen makes a lot of difference between the Air and the Pro, which was done very intentionally, so people will choose the more expensive iPad purely due to the screen quality. The iPad OS will significantly hamper the ability of the iPad to use the full capaibilities of the M4, in all but a few user flows, such as video / photo editing.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
This is a kind of huge misinformation that only people who know nothing about Windows (and yes we are in a site of Mac users...) can believe...
You must be confusing Windows hello with the camera indentificaiton of some cheap Android tablets.
You cannot use a photo to sign in, Windows hello does not use the webcam but does a 3D scanning of the face, and it's not something that can be faked with a photo. Lidar is not the only 3D scanning soluition, there are others and Windows hello uses near infrared imaging to authenticate...
Not on all PC hardware. Not according to several sources I read where they said it could be bypassed that way. It was a while ago. But many Windows laptops have only a webcam and no IR equipment, so it stands to reason that since they only have a camera and no other hardware for depth scanning, many models could be bypassed that way.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
With iPadOS, nothing can ever push the M-series SoC to any limit. It’s the biggest joke about Apple. Tim Cook is so afraid of cannibalizing the Mac, which Steve was never afraid of!
If the OS alone pushes the SoC, it is high time to buy a new computer. I guess you mean apps pushing the SoC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.