Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nkgmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Since many of us may have been underwhelmed by the recent palette of upgrades Apple put out, I've been wondering what they would have to do to impress us anymore, and I think I have a solution.

First of all, most of us are not content creators, so the pro level features of Macs and iPads, even iPhones, the super fast multicore processors, multiple graphics cores, excessive memory and storage, machine learning, neural networks...all amazing advances in their own right, are way more than I need already. So the updates don't solve a problem for me, which leaves me wringing my hands over whether I should continue to upgrade devices every year. Furthermore screens are already quite good enough for my presbyopic eyes and cameras are way beyond my photography skill set. I don't think I need augmented reality (yet). Battery life is as good as it needs to be and the devices are as thin and light as I need them. Now I do love great 3D audio, so keep that coming, but Apple's offerings are super good already. I still of course want new devices, but the direction seems to be to load them with hardware specs that I can't capitalize on.

What I really need is faster internet speed.

Wifi in particular, most of my work is done on Wifi at home or in my office, not on the road. Faster wifi internet speeds would make every single app I use and every task from my work to communications, to consuming media, even gaming, so much faster and more useful that further hardware enhancements would be essentially irrelevant. I realized that my M1 Mac mini from 2020 is much faster connected to ethernet than my M2 MacBook Air while on wifi. I pay $150 a month for gigabit speed (fastest) and unlimited data, I have wifi 6 with repeaters, and all Apple's latest generation devices, but my devices only score 100-200Mbs download speeds, unless I'm hardwired (which is never).There are 10Gb ethernet network devices available but I can't possibly make use of them. Fiber internet is still not available in my well developed OC suburb, certainly for nefarious reasons. We've been talking about improving high speed (ha!) internet availability across the country for years now but we all know that it won't happen through legislation in our lifetimes.

So I am begging Apple to forget the car and forget the glasses, forget 5G, and skip a year of spec bumping every device, and do a full-on Manhattan Project to establish a nationwide network capable of 10Gb speed, coast to coast, with 10gb wifi capability built into all of their next generation devices, and re-introduce a 10Gb Airport Max router on steroids...a SpacePort router if you will. With these connected to their own proprietary network they will maximize speed and stability, and make every Apple device 10,000x faster for real world, every day, internet based users and consumers. They will make cable internet obsolete, just as they did with cable television. They will embarrass Google Fiber. If they can build a world wide network of Apple stores and service centers, the iCloud storage system, become the repository of all music and video ever recorded for instant consumption, and create a credit card and wireless payment system that works around the world, then they can fix Wifi for the masses, for all time. My Apple Card is ready and waiting to subscribe to this service once it exists. Come on guys, you can do this...

• Love
Reactions: orbital~debris

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There are definitely use-cases for increase internet and network speeds, but I think the average Joe's internet usage doesn't even come close to Gigabit speeds, let alone higher.

Streaming tends to be the biggest draw for internet, and using Netflix as an example, a family could have over 50 simultaneous 4K HDR Netflix streams at the same time using Gigabit speeds.

For video games, other than downloading patches, DLC, and such, high speeds isn't really a priority, but lower latency would be important.

Maybe sometime in the future, Gigabit might be considered slow, but right now, it handles what a lot of people do. Even 100Mbps can be adequate for many.

and re-introduce a 10Gb Airport Max router on steroids
I would love for Apple to do that.

nkgmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
I don’t disagree, but I think if they build it we’ll make use of it (to paraphrase). It’s the biggest bottleneck for my general use purposes, and hanging, slow network speeds make my spiffy new laptop kind of slow compared to my older desktop. And I pay for about 10 times the speed that I’m actually seeing because the hardware just hasn’t kept up. I think they are the one company that could turn all that on its head.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I pay my ISP for Gigabit speeds as well. But every Mac/PC I own (my newest being a Late 2009 Mac Mini) is wired into my Gigabit switches and Gigabit router. My Gigabit router has WiFi and I use that for some of my devices, specifically those that aren't on cellular. You see, I have a femtocell (I'm with T-Mobile) and that pumps out 4G/LTE signal in-house using my wired connection as backhaul.

From the time I get up to the time I go to bed I am in front of a computer for the majority of the day. In this case, either my 2008 Mac Pro or my work-issued 2015 MBP.

A 55" HDTV is above me and to the left while I have two 30" Cinema Displays in front of me and two other Cinema Displays to the left. I am NOT using my iPhone(s) for the same reasons you are. In fact, it would be a hassle to reach over, grab my iPhone and consume media or web browsing on it when all that stuff is literally right in front of me with my Mac Pro. As big as the Pro Max screens are, they are NOT 30" Cinema Displays or a 55" HDTV!

I work from home, so having a Gigabit home network aids me in working off my employer's server via VPN. My only limitation is the speeds my bosses pay for and I know they aren't paying for gigabit.

On top of all of this - I pay T-Mobile about $300 a month for service (10 lines). I'm not into paying them that much for cellular service and THEN getting my data through WIFI and NOT cellular! WiFi, that I already pay someone ELSE for and NOT T-Mobile. T-Mobile can provide me the cellular I pay for!

So, quite honestly, I'm neither her nor there with you on this. If Apple improves WiFi speeds or not, it doesn't matter. I don't use my tech stuff at home on WiFi. Other family members do and I have some devices that are WiFi only, which is why I have it. But it's not my major connection. I'm not going to pay for Gigabit speed and NOT use it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Since many of us may have been underwhelmed by the recent palette of upgrades Apple put out, I've been wondering what they would have to do to impress us anymore,
Who is us - please define the universe of us? I love Apple's recent upgrades and imo, they have done a great job. That said, with over a billion users out there opinions are like grains of sand on the beach.
and I think I have a solution.

First of all, most of us are not content creators, so the pro level features of Macs and iPads, even iPhones, the super fast multicore processors, multiple graphics cores, excessive memory and storage, machine learning, neural networks...all amazing advances in their own right, are way more than I need already. So the updates don't solve a problem for me, which leaves me wringing my hands over whether I should continue to upgrade devices every year. Furthermore screens are already quite good enough for my presbyopic eyes and cameras are way beyond my photography skill set. I don't think I need augmented reality (yet). Battery life is as good as it needs to be and the devices are as thin and light as I need them. Now I do love great 3D audio, so keep that coming, but Apple's offerings are super good already. I still of course want new devices, but the direction seems to be to load them with hardware specs that I can't capitalize on.

Wifi in particular, most of my work is done on Wifi at home or in my office, not on the road. Faster wifi internet speeds would make every single app I use and every task from my work to communications, to consuming media, even gaming, so much faster and more useful that further hardware enhancements would be essentially irrelevant. I realized that my M1 Mac mini from 2020 is much faster connected to ethernet than my M2 MacBook Air while on wifi. I pay $150 a month for gigabit speed (fastest) and unlimited data, I have wifi 6 with repeaters, and all Apple's latest generation devices, but my devices only score 100-200Mbs download speeds, unless I'm hardwired (which is never).There are 10Gb ethernet network devices available but I can't possibly make use of them. Fiber internet is still not available in my well developed OC suburb, certainly for nefarious reasons. We've been talking about improving high speed (ha!) internet availability across the country for years now but we all know that it won't happen through legislation in our lifetimes.

So I am begging Apple to forget the car and forget the glasses, forget 5G, and skip a year of spec bumping every device, and do a full-on Manhattan Project to establish a nationwide network capable of 10Gb speed, coast to coast, with 10gb wifi capability built into all of their next generation devices, and re-introduce a 10Gb Airport Max router on steroids...a SpacePort router if you will. With these connected to their own proprietary network they will maximize speed and stability, and make every Apple device 10,000x faster for real world, every day, internet based users and consumers. They will make cable internet obsolete, just as they did with cable television. They will embarrass Google Fiber. If they can build a world wide network of Apple stores and service centers, the iCloud storage system, become the repository of all music and video ever recorded for instant consumption, and create a credit card and wireless payment system that works around the world, then they can fix Wifi for the masses, for all time. My Apple Card is ready and waiting to subscribe to this service once it exists. Come on guys, you can do this...
Inexpensive gigabyte speeds are a pipe dream for many, I presume. I could get gigabyte speeds, and it wouldn't break the bank, but I don't have that requirement. But I see someday as things get better, faster, smaller, cheaper gigabyte speeds will be a reality for many. Software always lags hardware and it will take time to catch up though.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I'd prefer it if Apple stick with what they're good at. Building networks and being an ISP don't fall within their core competencies.

Faster and more ubiquitous wireless network will open up a lot of intriguing possibilities, but that's for someone else to accomplish.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Why do you think the problem is Apple?
The fastest I've achieved on wifi is in my son's flat on a 2018 Macbook pro and that was 1700mbps.
Try testing with fast.com but in any case, I don't think they are limited to 200 as I have regularly got about 350 on another of out networks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 15.20.20.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 15.20.20.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
and all Apple's latest generation devices, but my devices only score 100-200Mbs download speeds,

My Apple devices over many versions and years have always performed close to the theoretical WiFi limit for a 1 Gbps internet modem connection. Looks to me as if you have a WiFi network issue not an Apple hardware problem. My iPhone results:

IMG_1518 copy.png

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

nkgmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
My Apple devices over many versions and years have always performed close to the theoretical WiFi limit for a 1 Gbps internet modem connection. Looks to me as if you have a WiFi network issue not an Apple hardware problem. My iPhone results:

View attachment 2110834
I wouldn't argue with you, and I'm not trying to be controversial in any way. I just can't solve this problem no matter how much money I spend on whatever new gadget is supposed to fix everything. On wifi I never get speeds like that. Some superpower corporation ought to be able to do better.

nkgmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
I'd prefer it if Apple stick with what they're good at. Building networks and being an ISP don't fall within their core competencies.

Faster and more ubiquitous wireless network will open up a lot of intriguing possibilities, but that's for someone else to accomplish.
Well...I mean, didn't "they" say that when Apple introduced a music player?, and a Phone? and a chain of retail stores? and a credit card? (and a car? and a TV? and a VR headset? ...). I don't think this is so far from their wheelhouse. their philosophy is to completely own the critical components of the devices they make so they can control the design, function and timing of product development. I would think networking is at the heart of their device's reliable and consistent function and user experience, even more so than even more cores and graphics processors and memory and lenses. Just my opinion.

hoo-man-b-ing

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2022
I wonder if you’re router is selecting congested channels and/or if you’re using a wired backhaul for your “repeaters” (which I hope is an actual mesh system with access points and not a normal Wi-Fi router connected to “extenders”/“repeaters”)

I think Apple will eventually provide internet service, but it’s likely 5-10 years away. They’re already making interesting inroads with Private Relay and once they begin shipping their own cellular modem as part of their SOC (which they need to do for iPhone anyway), they can embed that in other products as well for a nominal cost. At that point it’s easy to see an Apple Home device that serves as a primary Internet modem/router/Matter transmitter. The service would be bundled into Apple One+ Premium (a step or two above its current all-in offering) growing their service revenue and reducing their dependency on other systems/companies.

Besides, you can already see them dipping their toes in this area with the SOS Emergency Satellite Service. Plus, this makes Apple “stickier” to customers (look at how wildly successful Amazon Prime has been) and increases privacy/security, both core values for Apple.

• Love
Reactions: nkgmd

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
@nkgmd you have 1Gpbs internet service, but your Wi-Fi speeds are only "100-200Mbps"? Then something is wrong with your Wi-Fi network.

As someone with 5Gbps fiber internet, you should know that going from 200Mbps to 5,000Mbps internet speed doesn't really improve file downloads (CDNs are usually capped 500Mbps), nor do websites load faster (multiple CDNs feed most pages.)

So I'm not sure what exactly you're chasing, but Apple's not the right company to fix it.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I wouldn't argue with you, and I'm not trying to be controversial in any way. I just can't solve this problem no matter how much money I spend on whatever new gadget is supposed to fix everything.

There are a lot of posts in MacRumors about WiFi network problems. You may have the best router but it may not be configured correctly. Router configuration tends to be a complex subject. Luckily there are a lot of network experts available on MacRumors who would be glad to help you if you want to create a new post about your WiFi issues.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Since many of us may have been underwhelmed by the recent palette of upgrades Apple put out, I've been wondering what they would have to do to impress us anymore, and I think I have a solution.

Love this!
Sounds like a Steve project, which would be revealed – following many whispers and rumours – as a "we were building [x product] and realised it needed better connectivity than was available… so, we built that, too!" kind of introduction.

Reactions: nkgmd

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have wifi 6 with repeaters,
Here’s your issue
Repeaters will always add latency, no matter the brand.
If you need wider Wi-Fi coverage, run a wire and add another access point.
Repeaters are great for the backyard or the garage, but not daily life.

Eero can sell whatever they want, but there’s no denying their system is inherently flawed. It’s a digital game of telephone no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: BeatCrazy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.