Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Love the base regular iPhone 15. However, it’s like holding a wet bar of soap covered in lubricant. I’ve never held a more slippery phone. While beautiful with the new matte frosted back, it’s downright impossible to get a good grip! You have to squeeze it so hard to try to grip it.

I guess it’s mandatory to use a case for grip. Otherwise it’s so prone to slipping and wrecking itself.

Anyone here using the regular 15 case less? If so, any drops?

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are the slipperiest objects ever to exist on earth. Insanely slippery.
I remember my husband unboxing his iPhone 6 at the kitchen table…as soon as he took it out, it catapulted right out of his hand and onto the table. I can still hear him saying “ohhhh fudge” *
Luckily there was no breakage.

* not fudge

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think the 15 is even more slippery than that. Such a shame cause the blue color is so stunning. Gonna have to put a case on it.

Don’t see how that’s possible. The 6 series is the thinnest iPhone ever with untextured aluminum, completely rounded corners, edges, and no camera island. That was slippery. The 15 is a sanding block by comparison.

Reactions: Barbareren

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Mine already slipped 3 times off my desk in the last 2 days but I don’t want to use a case. It’s too nice too hold. I got AppleCare+ for the worst case and put a screen protector on both sides

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Mine already slipped 3 times off my desk in the last 2 days but I don’t want to use a case. It’s too nice too hold. I got AppleCare+ for the worst case and put a screen protector on both sides
Did you experience any damage from those drops?

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
nope! Even the armored glass protector surprisingly did not even get a little scratch. Must be of better quality than the one I used to have on my 12 PM haha
Wow, impressive. I'd count your blessings though haha! You probably wouldn't want to try that on a concrete surface.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Love the base regular iPhone 15. However, it’s like holding a wet bar of soap covered in lubricant. I’ve never held a more slippery phone. While beautiful with the new matte frosted back, it’s downright impossible to get a good grip! You have to squeeze it so hard to try to grip it.

I guess it’s mandatory to use a case for grip. Otherwise it’s so prone to slipping and wrecking itself.
Thank you for sharing this. 😊 Regardless slippery or not, for me, a clear case is a must to protect the phone and enjoy my color choice.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I have the 15 Plus, and I always go case-less. I can see how it can be slippery, but I guess that due to the extra weight of the Plus I don't have any issues with it... 🤷‍♂️

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I remember my husband unboxing his iPhone 6 at the kitchen table…as soon as he took it out, it catapulted right out of his hand and onto the table. I can still hear him saying “ohhhh fudge” *
Luckily there was no breakage.

* not fudge
1697338959663.gif

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017

Anyone here using the regular 15 case less? If so, any drops?

To me it’s much more grippy (the frosted glass) than the Pros. Have I dropped it? Yes and that’s because I was still not used to how light it is since I’ve been dealing with a 13 PM for 15 months. I took it from my pocket with but if force and it flipped out of my hand. No drop damage though. There was a scuff at the bottom edge but after rinsing the phone the scuff went away. It was probably just dirt mark. I’m not using a case by the way.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Thx for the replies all. I keep having issues with grip on the iPhone 15. It feels amazing but it’s starting to stress me out every time I pull it out from my pocket. I always go case-less but this time looks like I’ll have to add a case. Bummer.

I will be trying the regular 15 Pro again, I remember not having slippery grip issues with that one the week I had it. Might be worth the hit in battery life if it means a more comfortable phone without a case.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
No way I could use the iPhone without a case. Way too slippery. I always have the ultra thin Torras case waiting on my new iPhone when it arrives.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
Apple anticipates that we would evolve specialized skin microsuckers to hold on to our precious iPhone 30 ProUltraMaxMaxMaxPro 1PB.

Reactions: Glacier1

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Dropped mine a couple of days in. First time I drop an iPhone and it causes damage. 3 dings on the midframe. Nothing too serious and the case hides it but the black color certainly doesn’t help - it’s definitely white underneath and not too pleasant when you run your finger over it. It is what it is, at least nowadays you can replace the midframe without needing a whole housing swap if you wanted to. 14 regular and all 15s are super modular so in all honesty I’d just enjoy it as it is. As long as your logic board and screen is fine it’s no biggie and you can replace anything else for a very acceptable price if it’s something that bothers you. Definitely slap some tempered glass on it though.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Mid-frame is still an entire housing swap, isn't it? $599.
I think since the 14 they have midframes and do midframe swaps. It is a part they have at Apple Stores and I think they didn’t have housings before - they just gave you a new iPhone and you had to pay for that (the $599). Not sure about the replacement price, but you can buy an OEM midframe for about $30 so I think it shouldn’t be too expensive for Apple to do it. Before, the housing used to be super expensive. It literally is just the metal now with nothing glued to it, or paired to the iPhone’s serial number. When it gets too dinged up to bother me and it’s time for a battery replacement so I’m already opening the phone, I might replace the midframe while getting a battery through self-service repair if Apple doesn’t start offering the midframe itself as a part. But I do have some experience fixing my iPhones and am comfortable with it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.