Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Early summer 2011? Late summer?

I'm planning on buying an iMac next year and I figure I might as well wait for Lion to be released... unless Apple will upgrade my system for free if I buy my machine shortly before the summer and Lion comes out a few months later. Do you think they would they do that?

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Jobs said in Summer of next year (aka Summer 2011). That means, that as usual Apple practice, they will release more details of it during WWDC and a final release date. Also, WWDC is normally held in early/mid June.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still wondering if Apple will offer to upgrade the OS X of the MBPs, iMacs, and Mac Pro's that are purchased before, but relatively close to, the release of Lion. Have they done this in the past with other OS X releases?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...."summer 2011" in Apple-speak usually translates to the last possible moment - ie: Sept 21. Yes, more details will no doubt emerge over the coming months, and WWDC will be an important status update, but for now it is far too soon to put any stock into any of the rumors.

If the past is any indication for major updates, there will be no "free" upgrades until Apple officially announces the release date. Please keep in mind...this is at least a half year away and with operating systems delays do occur - just look at even Apple's history with 10.5 for example.

It's far too early to make any kind of decision based on a Lion release date...check back later when more info is available and the release date is closer to reality.....oh yeah!

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

jav6454 said:
I see. Has this been confirmed? And when, exactly, will that be held?

Jobs said in Summer of next year (aka Summer 2011). That means, that as usual Apple practice, they will release more details of it during WWDC and a final release date. Also, WWDC is normally held in early/mid June.

Do they generally release 'gold masters' of the OS at WWDC?
Or will that have happened before WWDC, with the retail release being announced at WWDC?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Or will that have happened before WWDC, with the retail release being announced at WWDC?

No, Mac OS X 10.4 was released in April 2005 (before WWDC), Mac OS X 10.5 was released in October 2007, long after WWDC) and Mac OS X 10.6 was released in August 2009 (after WWDC).

Normally Apple releases the final release date two weeks before that date.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010

spinnerlys said:

No, Mac OS X 10.4 was released in April 2005 (before WWDC), Mac OS X 10.5 was released in October 2007, long after WWDC) and Mac OS X 10.6 was released in August 2009 (after WWDC).

Normally Apple releases the final release date two weeks before that date.

Ok, thanks for that info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.