Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
I noticed this developer release note page on Apple's site mentioned that Apple intends to restore NeXTStep's tear-off menus.

Is there any mention of APIs that would allow this to be implemented in recent Tiger seeds or has Apple suggested it will be implemented in Tiger?

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Isn't that page for Panther? What makes you think this feature is going to be implemented in a future release of OS X?

Sorry, maybe it was this sentence: "We plan to provide tear-off menus in a future release of Mac OS X..."

However, that doesn't mean they still plan on doing it. That was written some time ago now, and I'm pretty sure tear-off menus aren't in Tiger. Personally, I would prefer they stay out--I don't see much of a use for them.

kettle

macrumors 65816
It's a good option of usability to have that doesn't prohibit a previous interface feature so I say it's a good thing.

I'd use it at least until I'd learnt the keyboard combo's for the new functions within a particular app.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I would love this functionality. There are times I am doing repetitive tasks and have to keep going to the menu. This saves a click times the number of repetitions (not to mention the slowness of finding the item in the menu and scrolling down to it.)

Fingers crossed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.