Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
I know there probably won't be a 7.1.x jailbreak until the final build of iOS 8. Let's assume neither winocm, iH8sn0w or i0n1c would release a JB before the golden master of iOS 8. This might just be a silly question, but what if I want to be jailbroken on 7.1.1 and don't want to install iOS 8 on my iPhone 4S (as I think it could be extremely laggy) then when is the right time to update? I mean, if I would wait till the iOS 8 release, it would be too late to revert back to 7.1.1 as my iPhone will then go from 7.0.4 straight to 8.0..
What's the best/possible option?
1) Lose jailbreak to update to 7.1.1, a few days before the public release of iOS 8 and never update to 8.0 and then wait for the 7.1.x JB to be released
2) Install iOS 8 to check whether it's laggy or not, and if it is, downgrade back to 7.1.1 and then wait for the 7.1.x JB to be released (Is this possible? How many days after a release does Apple still sign the older version?)

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Usually only have a few hours window (if your lucky) to downgrade back to 7.1.x

Don't know when the best call would be but there's a chance there won't be a 7.1.x jailbreak at all (or if there is, a long time after the iOS 8 JB is out)

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Apple announces the actual day they release the major os updates. Lucky for you they release a golden master a week or so before that. Just upgrade to the golden master and base your experience with that. Don't like it then downgrade before the date iOS 8 releases.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Usually only have a few hours window (if your lucky) to downgrade back to 7.1.x

Argh, that's not a lot of time, thanks for telling me!

Apple announces the actual day they release the major os updates. Lucky for you they release a golden master a week or so before that. Just upgrade to the golden master and base your experience with that. Don't like it then downgrade before the date iOS 8 releases.

But that means you must have a registered UDID, right?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Argh, that's not a lot of time, thanks for telling me!

But that means you must have a registered UDID, right?

Im not sure if you need an udid for a GM or not. Another thing to note is that there might be a bypass, im not really sure. Worst come to worst i hear there are people on ebay selling a udid slot for 3$.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Im not sure if you need an udid for a GM or not. Another thing to note is that there might be a bypass, im not really sure. Worst come to worst i hear there are people on ebay selling a udid slot for 3$.
I really think you will need to have it registered in order to download a GM. Well yes indeed, maybe I should buy a UDID slot then. But first I'll better wait and see what happens until a few weeks before the GM. Thanks for helping!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.