Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
Well... where do I start?

I downloaded and installed the new software over my exsisting Sierra install. Mac was slow and sluggish so decided to do a clean install and see if that would make a difference. It’s didnt!

During the install it kernel panicked 3 times and then was constantly rebooting. My in total thought was that the firmware was now corrupt.

Tried to boot into recovery. No luck!

Tried to boot into internet recovery no luck! Mac was constantly restarting. Even if I tired to use an external usb hard disk with a recovery partition!

Finally got it to boot. Reformted the drive quick to stop it from rebooting or panicking. And the. Installed Sierra. Crashed at boot up.

I then tried to time machine restore back to Sierra which also failed.

The only way to sort this out was this:

Reformat the drive then launch terminal and physical destroy the fusion drive link. Reformat again each drive SSD first then the hard disk. Then launch terminal again and then rejoin or re-fuse the drives. Then installed Sierra without any problems. This morning I am now back into recovery and restoring the data before I installed high Sierra.

Think it’s a shame that this, in my opinion new system software has been rushed out to us the public. If I am attempting to install again then I would wait till at least a .3 update. Don’t want to go through what I went through last night.

Reactions: Spartan23R

Spartan23R

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
I'm waiting with upgrading this time. I'm running the latest version of Sierra on an external SSD drive, and running a beta version of High Sierra on the internal Fusion Drive (iMac 4k 2017).

Will first upgrade the beta on the internal drive and check out if everything works okay before attempting to install it on the eSSD

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
I'm waiting with upgrading this time. I'm running the latest version of Sierra on an external SSD drive, and running a beta version of High Sierra on the internal Fusion Drive (iMac 4k 2017).

Will first upgrade the beta on the internal drive and check out if everything works okay before attempting to install it on the eSSD
Well if you do don’t use apfs it will Roger your drive up. But if I was you I would really consider what would happen if you had the same problems I had.

Reactions: Spartan23R
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.