Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
This GPU is a powerful beast. Who's upgrading their Mac Pro with this card?
Sadly, we might only see improvements in only GPU workloads cause the Xeon's are too weak in gaming.

It's also very power efficient. At 300watts after power capping it, the GPU only lost 5-10% of the pref.
After the reviews Apple can't even come to close to this let alone a RTX 3080/90.

Reactions: singhs.apps

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
that is to be expected, apple silicons are powerful in their own rights but when it comes to pure graphic performance apple are nowhere near close to top end dedicated graphic cards.

Jupiter-8

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
California
I worry - and I desperately want to be proven wrong here - that the 4090 won't fit in the 2019 Mac Pro case. The only card that looks as if it could fit is the Nvidia 4090 Founders Edition - BUT it looks like it's a little too wide to fit with the power cable attached.

I currently have an ASUS TUF 3090 OC card. It's 299.9mm LENGTH x 126.9mm WIDTH x 51.7mm HEIGHT. It comfortably fits with maybe 5mm LENGTH to spare. The power cables neatly comes out of the side of the card and allow the case to slide closed barely touching the cables. It's a perfect size for the case.

The Nvidia 4090 Founders Edition card is 304mm LENGTH x 137mm WIDTH x 61mm HEIGHT (3-slots). It looks as if it'll comfortably fit in lengthways as it's 4.1mm longer than the TUF 3090 OC card and there's at least 5mm to spare in the case. WIDTH seems to be the issue. It's 10.1mm wider. Sure, there's probably enough in the case to take this additional 10.1mm - BUT once you add the power connector, I genuinely don't think the case will be able to slide closed.

I've watched a few YouTube videos of the power cable attached to the card and even bending the cables at a 90 degree angle to the connector, I just can't see the case being able to clear the power connectors.

I've researched all other 3rd party cards and they're all far too long to fit in the 2019 Mac Pro case. The Nvidia card seems to be our only hope.

Can anyone with access to a 4090 Nvidia card see if it'll fit in the 2019 Mac Pro WITH the power connectors attached and case closed?

Thanks!

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Everyone is complaining about the power cable adapter. I wonder why nVidia just didn't make it a right angle plug? Hopefully some third parties will make such a thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.