Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Apple: I want small compuper (reference to a game)
iPad hardware team: here's the 12.9 and 11 ipad pro, perfect mini computer, put macOS on it!
Apple: yeah no
Pretty much...

I like my kit as portable as possible. But the trend is bigger.

I love my iPhone Mini and will hold onto it for as long as possible, but I'm stuck using the 13" M1 as my portable.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
One needs only about 30 seconds with a current 13" MacBook Air to conclude that no 12" MacBook should ever exist again. The Air is light, highly portable, large enough to actually be usable (for some), lasts forever, highly performant, with decent I/O for its size. And the price isn't bad either.

The last thing Apple needs is MORE tiers in their product lines. There are too many already. The current MacBook line is the only one even slightly organized (2 consumer models, 2 pro models....ish). Please don't advocate for mucking that up.
One thing you're right about - The portability and lightness of the Air is great! - and isn't in question. In fact, the height/thickness is perfect. Just lop off the sides to be the width of the 12" macbook, shrink the screen and trackpad (and bezel) to fit the 16:10 aspect ratio and you're done.

xunx

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
I am definitely looking forward to a 12 inch macbook with the M chip. In fact, it is the only apple product that I would like to buy in recent years. Having been an intense apple product user since 2004, I have had the 12 inch iBook and the 12 inch PowerBook, which I absolutely loved using. A new 12 inch macbook with apple silicon would make it ultra portable and easy to carry around just like carrying a document. Consider taking it with you twice a day, 365 days a year, and for 5-10 years, the cumulative weight savings and ease is nothing that the 13 inch MBA can compare. Too sad that after Steve Apple has lost its innovative soul and turned into a money-making machine.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Me too. I factory reset my MB12 M3 last week and did all the updates. It’s been on the shelf for 2 years but I recently gave my MBAir M2 to my wife and just wanted a small laptop for Safari and Mail. It’s working great.

I would purchase and updated version with AS M3 the second they are released. I hope it happens.

xunx

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
Apple has now completed the reshuffle of the iPad lineup, with two iPad air (11 & 13), two iPad Pro (11 & 13), an iPad mini, and a basic iPad as the base model.

In comparison, the MacBook lineup has two MacBook Air (13 & 15) and two MacBook Pro (14 & 16). Now it makes a lot of sense to have a basic MacBook model. Otherwise the entire MacBook lineup would be baseless if there are only "Airs" and "Pros".

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Apple has now completed the reshuffle of the iPad lineup, with two iPad air (11 & 13), two iPad Pro (11 & 13), an iPad mini, and a basic iPad as the base model.

In comparison, the MacBook lineup has two MacBook Air (13 & 15) and two MacBook Pro (14 & 16). Now it makes a lot of sense to have a basic MacBook model. Otherwise the entire MacBook lineup would be baseless if there are only "Airs" and "Pros".

I think the basic MacBook segment is reasonably well covered by an iPad Air and a keyboard.

It will do all the basic end user stuff in a more secure manner and even edit video, etc.

If you want more than that, the MacBook Air 13" is still reasonably cheap.

I just don't see the room for another MacBook in the lineup, outside of just carrying an older model air like they did with the m1. You're not going to be making a lot of money on a marginally cheaper non-air MacBook to justify the development, especially when the iPads exist.

Besides, what cpu are they going to put in it? It costs apple money to maintain multiple processor lines...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.