Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
This might be might my last post in this forum. I mean, I love all y'all but through no fault of its own, it has less and less relevance to me these past few years. I gotta look after I hit that submit button and see if I ever got to 1000 (edit - nope) posts.

Anyway, this place needs a selfie photo thread. Here's ancient retired me in a sweatshirt old enough to run for Congress wearing headphones while wandering around a campground in nowhere, Virginia. How you doin?

IMG_3107.jpeg

It's been a great couple decades+ See ya around!

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
If you thought I was going to post a selfie... nope. Sorry. The memoji will have to suffice. Maybe sometime in the future I'll feel comfortable posting a selfie.

Anyway, I'm curious to see if this thread will gain any traction. It would be interesting. Not saying I endorse or oppose it, it would just be interesting.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you thought I was going to post a selfie... nope.
Yes, this is pretty much my position.
Sorry. The memoji will have to suffice.
Actually, I quite like your memoji.
Maybe sometime in the future I'll feel comfortable posting a selfie.
As of now, I still don't.
Anyway, I'm curious to see if this thread will gain any traction. It would be interesting. Not saying I endorse or oppose it, it would just be interesting.
Indeed.

Reactions: rm5

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
This might be might my last post in this forum. I mean, I love all y'all but through no fault of its own, it has less and less relevance to me these past few years. I gotta look after I hit that submit button and see if I ever got to 1000 (edit - nope) posts.

Anyway, this place needs a selfie photo thread. Here's ancient retired me in a sweatshirt old enough to run for Congress wearing headphones while wandering around a campground in nowhere, Virginia. How you doin?

View attachment 2313929

It's been a great couple decades+ See ya around!
really cool sweatshirt!

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Yes, this is pretty much my position.
As of now, I still don't.
Well, obviously it's completely your choice what you want to do and how much info you want to share.

The only time I will show my face digitally (for the public or not) - a selfie, video, etc., is when someone asks for my picture for a concert flyer or something, or when I'm on a conference call for professional or educational purposes. During informal online communication, I don't want to (or care to) show my face. What good does that do?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, obviously it's completely your choice what you want to do and how much info you want to share.

The only time I will show my face digitally (for the public or not) - a selfie, video, etc., is when someone asks for my picture for a concert flyer or something, or when I'm on a conference call for professional or educational purposes. During informal online communication, I don't want to (or care to) show my face. What good does that do?
Again, I am in (choose to be in) a pretty similar position.

On a conference call, or a Zoom meeting, yes, obviously.

And for a public talk, again, yes, obviously.

Otherwise, no, not by preference.

Reactions: rm5

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Something to keep in mind when deciding whether to put selfies and tagged photos online is the practice of scraping to train facial recognition algorithms and AI's.

A notorious example of scraping is how Clearview AI built up its database of images:

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.