Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diztance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2024
I've been trying to install macos El Capitan on my Mac pro 2009. But when I go to install it using my bootable USB, I get this error after I sign in to my apple id. After doing some research, I found that it might have to do with the date, so I restarted and set the date to 2017. But when I do that, I get another error that doesn't even let me get past the start of the install. I used transmac to make the bootable USB, and I fear that that might be the cause of the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

(Error after signing in)
1000040953.jpg

(Error when I change the date)
1000040952.jpg

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
i believe you have to change the date on the mac to trick it of something like that

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
But when I unplug the Ethernet cable, it doesn't let me install the os. It says that it needs an internet connection.

That happens when you don't have the full installer, Internet connection is needed to download the missing packages.

Why not to try to install Mavericks for example and then create an El Capitan installer from the Mac Pro already working with Mavericks?

MacUser5610

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
I did something like this to my 2010 Mac Pro and I eventually got it working. I used some YouTube videos and I found one after a bit of searching. I hope you get your Mac working. Btw I eventually installed Sonoma with the OpenCore Legacy Patcher and now I am looking for a new GPU (see my forum)

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
To avoid all this certificate, date and missing packages nuisance do this.
From the installer app downloaded to your Applications folder create iso file using this command:
Download and rename osxiso to osxiso.command
Make executable with
Code:
chmod + x osxiso.command
Burn the created iso residing on your desktop to a USB using balena etcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macschrauber
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.