Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
I found these disappointing news today...
Ubisoft will take away all access to the game.

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ/5...tinued-on-october-6th-2015/kA030000000enVvCAI

To our Settlers 7 players,
First, we’d like to thank you for playing The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom on Mac and hope you’ve been enjoying playing it as much as we’ve enjoyed developing and supporting it for the last five years.
Unfortunately, we have made the difficult decision to retire the game. As of October 6th 2015, The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom on Mac will be discontinued. From this date, Mac users will lose access to the game and any DLC, if applicable.
We are constantly assessing what’s needed to deliver the best possible online services for our customers. Shutting down the service for some older games with smaller online audiences is a necessary part of the process, since it allows our IT and service staff to better focus on delivering great online experiences to the vast majority of customers who are playing the latest titles. Still, we don’t take the decision to retire services for an older game lightly, and we understand some of you may be disappointed by this news. We are happy to have fans that are as committed as you have been to this brand, and we hope that you will find one of our newer titles to be passionate about.
If you’re interested in learning more about the latest game in the franchise, The Settlers: Kingdoms of Anteria, please visit thesettlers.com.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to create a support case on this site.
We want to thank you again for your dedication and passion for our games, and we hope to see you enjoying our Settlers games in the future!
—The Settlers Team​

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
That's ubisoft for you, they have done this before with other games, main reason why I steer well clear of anything ubisoft.

Reactions: Plutonius

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Not only Ubisoft...that's why I never buy online-only DRMed games, which have no reason to be online-only. I have the first 4 Settlers games, and I would certainly buy another one, if it's 1) any good, and 2) not online-only.

--Eric

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Not only Ubisoft...that's why I never buy online-only DRMed games, which have no reason to be online-only. I have the first 4 Settlers games, and I would certainly buy another one, if it's 1) any good, and 2) not online-only.

--Eric

Yup DRM free is the way to go and people really need to realize this.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I notice that trailer has a PC DVD ROM logo and no Mac logo. Of course, Ubisoft is all about supporting the Mac so surely the next Settlers game will have a Mac version. That must be why they linked to that useless, half-baked, Blizzard wannabe trailer, right? Yeah. That must be it.

Too bad. They publish some good games but it seems like they really hate PC gamers and won't even consider Mac gamers anymore.

Oh, well. There are plenty of other companies supporting the Mac that will take our money and they don't screw you like this with always online DRM for single player.

Bad Ubi! Bad! Hate them! Bad!!!

Reactions: MichalM.Mac

filipbidlo

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
I found these disappointing news today...
Ubisoft will take away all access to the game.

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ/5...tinued-on-october-6th-2015/kA030000000enVvCAI

To our Settlers 7 players,
First, we’d like to thank you for playing The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom on Mac and hope you’ve been enjoying playing it as much as we’ve enjoyed developing and supporting it for the last five years.
Unfortunately, we have made the difficult decision to retire the game. As of October 6th 2015, The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom on Mac will be discontinued. From this date, Mac users will lose access to the game and any DLC, if applicable.
We are constantly assessing what’s needed to deliver the best possible online services for our customers. Shutting down the service for some older games with smaller online audiences is a necessary part of the process, since it allows our IT and service staff to better focus on delivering great online experiences to the vast majority of customers who are playing the latest titles. Still, we don’t take the decision to retire services for an older game lightly, and we understand some of you may be disappointed by this news. We are happy to have fans that are as committed as you have been to this brand, and we hope that you will find one of our newer titles to be passionate about.
If you’re interested in learning more about the latest game in the franchise, The Settlers: Kingdoms of Anteria, please visit thesettlers.com.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to create a support case on this site.
We want to thank you again for your dedication and passion for our games, and we hope to see you enjoying our Settlers games in the future!
—The Settlers Team​

What?? We are not going to be allowed to play even singleplayer? and what about patch to play it under MAC OS X El Capitan?

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
I bought it, as the game was 1 GBP (about 1 Euro or 1 USD) on Amazon...on DVD...incl. shipping, mostly due to their failed DRM policy, and there is an update removing the "always online" policy.
Only played it a few hours, mostly because it's soo heavy even on my good specs...sad really, I used to like Settlers (and it's like)

Reactions: Dirtyharry50

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I bought it, as the game was 1 GBP (about 1 Euro or 1 USD) on Amazon...on DVD...incl. shipping, mostly due to their failed DRM policy, and there is an update removing the "always online" policy.
Only played it a few hours, mostly because it's soo heavy even on my good specs...sad really, I used to like Settlers (and it's like)

That's good to know that issue can be resolved then at least to some extent. I can't recall if that was one of their games where certain added content was only available if you were online. That might have been a different one of their titles though. In any event it sure beats being left completely high and dry with no game to play at all. I guess I'll give Ubi one attaboy for that but no more. I'm sure it won't be long before they lose it again too.

maddhound

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
You can still play the game using winebottler with uplay winetrick installed.
So after installing winebottler you can click the wine logo in the top bar of the screen and select instal wintricks within the screen of the winetricks search for uplay and install now u can play the game.

maddhound

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
I
You can still play the game using winebottler with uplay winetrick installed.
So after installing winebottler you can click the wine logo in the top bar of the screen and select instal wintricks within the screen of the winetricks search for uplay and install now u can play the game.
i am using el captain and got the game working like a breeze

jack_daniels

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
I
i am using el captain and got the game working like a breeze

Hi,

could please describe a bit more in detail how you got the Settlers to work.

I´m also using El Captain but I had no luck so far to get the game working.

I have installed WineBottler. Then I start Wine, open Winetricks and click install "uplay".
Within the WineMenue I opened the Filemanager and started Uplay. Uplay is running now but what is the next step ?

How did you install the Settlers ?
How do you start the Settlers ?

maddhound

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
Hi,

could please describe a bit more in detail how you got the Settlers to work.

I´m also using El Captain but I had no luck so far to get the game working.

I have installed WineBottler. Then I start Wine, open Winetricks and click install "uplay".
Within the WineMenue I opened the Filemanager and started Uplay. Uplay is running now but what is the next step ?

How did you install the Settlers ?
How do you start the Settlers ?

Alright so u got the uplay set up and such.
Now what u do to install settlers u open winebotler and ghen u enter the iso there u will find the setup exe just run the setup.
Follow the on screen instructions.
It will set it it up in youre wine files program files folder after install go to youre wine folder.
And open the setlers.exe located in tour program files folder.
And voila it should be running through wine.
For addditional help dont hasitate to ask.
Gr maddhound
[doublepost=1452071715][/doublepost]
Now what u do to install settlers u open winebotler and ghen u enter the iso there u will find the setup exe just run the setup.
It will set it it up in youre wine files program files folder after install go to youre wine folder.
Gr maddhound

i said to open wine bottler but i mean.
just open wine then u have the wine logo at the top right of ure screen.
the you click file manager and then u enter the iso.
from there out u just open you're setup and follow instructions.
after installing it installs the settlers in the following folder:
/Users/Musicstation/Wine Files/drive_c/Program Files/Ubisoft
in this folder u can then start up your settlers.exe
just double click and it will start Uplay and u can start enjoying you're settlers game like before.
hope this helps u on you're quest getting it to run.
gr benjamin

jack_daniels

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
Gr maddhound
[doublepost=1452071715][/doublepost]

i said to open wine bottler but i mean.
just open wine then u have the wine logo at the top right of ure screen.
the you click file manager and then u enter the iso.
from there out u just open you're setup and follow instructions.
after installing it installs the settlers in the following folder:
/Users/Musicstation/Wine Files/drive_c/Program Files/Ubisoft
in this folder u can then start up your settlers.exe
just double click and it will start Uplay and u can start enjoying you're settlers game like before.
hope this helps u on you're quest getting it to run.
gr benjamin

Thank you. Installation is completed. I start the EXE as described by you, then UPlay starts, the sync with the cloud fails (as expected), after that it seems like the game is starting. I get a black screen and can see and move the mousepointer but thats it. I guess the videos should start playing but nothing happens anymore.

Could that be a DirectX Thing or is there any keycombo to skip the videos or anthing else ?

Would be great if you or someone else has any idea.

maddhound

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
Thank you. Installation is completed. I start the EXE as described by you, then UPlay starts, the sync with the cloud fails (as expected), after that it seems like the game is starting. I get a black screen and can see and move the mousepointer but thats it. I guess the videos should start playing but nothing happens anymore.

Could that be a DirectX Thing or is there any keycombo to skip the videos or anthing else ?

Would be great if you or someone else has any idea.
have u tried rebooting you're system.
what system are u using..?
u can also try installing some direct3d wine tricks..
i didn't have to do so but u can give it a try
and the sync with the cloud works here as wel as the updater
try starting the game from the Uplay game launcher..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.