Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Geekbench shows steady improvements in single core scores [ https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks ]

IP 7 - 740
IP 8 - 919
IP SE2 - 1322

I don't see much of a difference in the speed/smoothness of my IP 7 and 8 in everyday use.

If I plan to use my IP 8 for basic phone use (texting, photos/small videos, checking mail and internet) should I expect to see a difference between the everyday performance of the IP 8 and the upcoming IP 12 with the A14?

Is there a single core score after which these improvements in performance become a matter of academic interest?

The other issue is battery health. From what I know that makes a big difference to how smoothly/fast the phone works in everyday usage. In a best case scenario after how much time will the battery start to significantly slow down the phone?

My IP 8 shows the health as 100% and I've had it for nearly a year and half now. Should I expect the back to hold steady for another year and half? At that time I could get the IP 13 at launch.

Thanks!

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
“should I expect to see a difference between the everyday performance of the IP 8 and the upcoming IP 12 with the A14?”

no.

In a best case scenario after how much time will the battery start to significantly slow down the phone?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The phone will run the same speed with an older worn battery as it will with a brand new battery. Exactly the same speed. The only difference is the old battery won't last as long. And if an old battery is used in the cold winter outside, it could cause a crash if it can't deliver enough peak amps.

You can see if that happened (and if iOS then throttled it) in the battery health settings.

I have an iPhone 7 and 8 and the 8 is noticeably snappier to me. Not a big difference, but I can feel it.

Today's iPhones are pretty quick. It's not like they're the laggy things of yesteryear. Any new models (iPhone 12) won't significantly be that much faster in normal usage. Benchmarks might show an improvement, but it won't be a $1000 improvement

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
The phone will run the same speed with an older worn battery as it will with a brand new battery. Exactly the same speed.
Oh. Wasn't the battery gate scandal all about old Apple batteries being unable to meet the regular demand of the processor?
I would imagine an old battery will necessitate slowing down of the processor.
I have an iPhone 7 and 8 and the 8 is noticeably snappier to me. Not a big difference, but I can feel it.
And this is only because of the difference in chipsets?
If the 7 battery was new and the 8's old, wouldn't the 8 slow down to near the level of performance of the 7?
Today's iPhones are pretty quick. It's not like they're the laggy things of yesteryear. Any new models (iPhone 12) won't significantly be that much faster in normal usage. Benchmarks might show an improvement, but it won't be a $1000 improvement
Useful to hear this! This means, for my kind of uses, I may not benefit much from shifting to the latest phone.
I ended up charging my phone to 100% today and noticed that health is suddenly being shown as 96%.
If I use the phone as I have done, where should I expect the health indicator to be in one and half year from now?
Right now, there is barely a drop in the backup. I feel I am getting the same backup as I did when I bought it new (actually a refurb). At what % will I start to see a clear difference in the backup?
[automerge]1594007775[/automerge]
“should I expect to see a difference between the everyday performance of the IP 8 and the upcoming IP 12 with the A14?”

no.

In a best case scenario after how much time will the battery start to significantly slow down the phone?

Thanks.
I read somewhere that Apple have some special implementation to adjust the phone performance as the battery performance degrades.
With the IP 8 it won't slow the phone suddenly. This is because there is a separate battery hardware controller that works together with the software.
So, again I am not sure what I am looking at over the next one year and a half.
Btw, Coconut battery shows 329 cycles and the design capacity as 95.78%.
The full charge capacity is 1743 mAh and the design capacity is 1821 mAh.
Thanks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.