Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simsfanatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Does anyone know if The Sims 2 works on the mac? I love the game and if mac won't run it, I'm not getting one!

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Yes it does. Aspyr ports it to Mac. The most recent release was Seasons. Beware you'll need to repurchase the game!

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
The Windows version will work on a mac if you install Windows on Bootcamp (or possibly Parallels/VMware, but it wouldn't work as well). This requires that you buy Windows. There's also a Mac version as Steve1496 said, which works perfectly well in my experience. If you use the mac version without any expansion packs, make sure to download the universal binary at http://www.aspyr.com/product/news/6/31 or you'll have very bad game quality.

simsfanatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Thanks, I have all of the games/ep's but they're windows version... I'm new at this so it will take me a while!:eek:

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
The Windows version will work on a mac if you install Windows on Bootcamp (or possibly Parallels/VMware, but it wouldn't work as well). This requires that you buy Windows. There's also a Mac version as Steve1496 said, which works perfectly well in my experience. If you use the mac version without any expansion packs, make sure to download the universal binary at http://www.aspyr.com/product/news/6/31 or you'll have very bad game quality.

Don't bother with Parallels or VMWare. The performance will be _very_ bad. Bootcamp works if you already bought Windows anyways. As said, yes, definitely get the universal patch or it will run very slow--same with the expansions up to Pets (this was the first universal expansion).

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Yes it does. I play it all the time. It runs really well too, as long has you run it on a Mac with a decent graphics card.

As said, yes, definitely get the universal patch or it will run very slow--same with the expansions up to Pets (this was the first universal expansion).

Don't mean to go totally nerdtronic on you, but actually Open For Buisiness was the first UB expansion. :p

BTW, I think all new copies of the Sims 2 (including all the expansion packs) are Universal out of the box. Don't quote me on that though.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Yes it does. I play it all the time. It runs really well too, as long has you run it on a Mac with a decent graphics card.

Don't mean to go totally nerdtronic on you, but actually Open For Buisiness was the first UB expansion. :p

BTW, I think all new copies of the Sims 2 (including all the expansion packs) are Universal out of the box. Don't quote me on that though.

nope, they're not

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004

Nerdtronic :D love it. You're right, though, OFB was the first UB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.