Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is a really splendid psychological crime drama, with each season a self contained story. It focuses on an investigation of the psychological motives behind unusual homicides. Bill Pullman does an excellent job as a police investigator who also has some demons pestering him.
We’ve (Wife and I) have completed the first two seasons available on Netflix for viewing. Season 3 is currently being broadcast. If I have a critique I’ve watched two examples of where police departments appear to move forward with prosecutions without clear motives, which my understanding is part of the prosecution process. Officer Ambrose who has a rapport with victims is the one who finds the answers.

Season 2 involves an unusual double homicide and it is associated with a cult outside of a small town. Eight episodes keeps you guessing about a lot of things, but what I really appreciated at the end, was it did not go over the top (something like murdering devil worship :D) but I won’t say more because it would be a spoiler.

From the TV thread:
The Sinner (2017 Season 1 USA Network, watched on Netflix)- Excellent psychological crime drama that starts with a woman on a beach with her son and husband, she hears a song, watches a couple horsing around, runs over and stabs the young man with a knife and tells the girl he won’t hurt you.

Bill Pullman plays a police investigator who is not all well himself.

Just finished:
Wow, great ending, I felt a surge of emotion.

View attachment 894042

Reactions: max2 and Mefisto

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
A fantastic show indeed, I can't wait for season 3 to hit Netflix. It'll take time, but better late than never.

I'm more and more drawn to shows that have separate seasons telling self contained stories, and this one is a perfect example of such a show.

Reactions: max2 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A little late getting around to Season 3, a mysterious accident. No spoilers please! The first two seasons were on Prime (or was it Netflix?), anyway I’ve learned a lesson. We are watching this now via USA Network on Sling TV and unfortunately there is no fast forward on demand for this channel.

One big difference with this season, there is mystery, but with previous seasons, the viewer was almost completely in the dark with tons of mystery. Not so much this season.

This series was originally Intended as an 8 episode miniseries, but was so successful, Season 4 is planned. I’m going to set this to record for next time. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Halfway into Season 3, a disturbing personality profile as the story morphs from someone being manipulated to dangerously unstable. ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Would you ever volunteer to be buried alive with the promise that you would be dug up?

Season 3 was a bit muddled, but it kept us interested.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I love well done crime drama and had seen The Sinner in the selection wall, but just hadn't gotten around to it. Knowing that Bill Pullman is in it, however, changes everything. I always liked him and now am intrigued how he does in a darker role.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.