Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
How can we be in the later stage of the PS5‘s lifecycle, and a new Naughty Dog game has not even been *announced* yet????
They cancelled their Last of Us multiplayer followup recently. That one probably used up most of the manpower available in recent years.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Games have been dry across the board, but their are a few cool third party games coming out.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
That could mean we see PS5 Pro Enhanced games that run at between 1080p and 1440p resolution at 30fps on the base PS5 and run between 1280p and 2160p on the PS5 Pro at the same frame rate. A fixed resolution increase from 1440p to 2160p would also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game. Developers could also choose to enable ray-tracing effects and get the PS5 Pro Enhanced label without improving resolution or frame rates. If a developer wants to target 60fps instead of 30fps with the same resolution, this may also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game.

This is going to be super confusing. Consoles used to be easy to understand but this generation of technical specs has been confusing for both PS5 and XSX

For the PS5Pro it feels like games will need 3-4 settings.

4k/60FPS
4k/30FPS with ray tracing
2k/120FPS

It's dubious that using ray tracing will be sufficient to warrant an "Enhanced for PS5 Pro" label. Ray tracing has mixed performance

Sensationally stunning but not worth the 50% drop in FSP: Alan Wake 2
Stunning: Cyberpunk 2077, Jusant
Garbage implementation: Battlefield 5
Can't tell the difference: Too many titles

I hope that PSSS ai upscaling technology will kill the label "quality mode" which is a vague term for dynamic resolution scaling. 4k through AI upscaling would be fantastic. On my 4K TV, 1440p looks soft and previous gen but 4k looks crisp and lush. BIG difference.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Wonder what the actual business case for the existence of the PS5 Pro might be. Can't be technical like raytracing, really. Or 8k or whatever. Introducing yet another SKU for a console platform that hasn't been maxed out yet at all seems ... unusual? Plus it will surely be expensive enough that only the 60fps diehards are going to choose it. So little incentive for developers at this stage to make full use of it.

I'd rather expect the slim version by now. You know, the cheap and cheerful model for the kid's bedroom.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Wonder what the actual business case for the existence of the PS5 Pro might be. Can't be technical like raytracing, really. Or 8k or whatever. Introducing yet another SKU for a console platform that hasn't been maxed out yet at all seems ... unusual? Plus it will surely be expensive enough that only the 60fps diehards are going to choose it. So little incentive for developers at this stage to make full use of it.

I'd rather expect the slim version by now. You know, the cheap and cheerful model for the kid's bedroom.
The timing could have been better as the gaming studios are undergoing layoffs. Gaming development takes time and resources. 3-6 years is probably the time line for when we’ll see titles that have from the ground up been designed to fully exploit the added hardware and software of the PS5 PRo. With XSX and base PS5 it took 18-24 months before we studios released “enhanced for” updates.

This is the downside of console games. The graphics and visuals aren’t as scalable as PC where you can throw in new GPU and instantly unlock higher quality textures that are already in the game. With consoles, games are packaged more efficiently with only the textures that are needed and will be used.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Bit of a tip which includes the Xbox Series too, I was thinking where is my PS4 to PS5 Fallout 4 update? Couldn’t find anyway to get it, then I realised I installed Fallout 4 on my USB hard drive lol, and of course PS5 and Xbox do not run new gen games off hard drives. I’m moving my to my internal SSD now and fingers crossed get the PS5 update then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.