Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptdavidson87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
This is an odd one, never came across it before. 2020 iMac I9 - Sonoma.
After restart the wired apple keyboard, refuses to work every time. So I unplug it from the usb on the back of the iMac, plug in a old dell keyboard, and login in my password. I can then unplug the old dell keyboard, and plug in the wired apple keyboard on and all is well, and go on my merry way. This happens every time on reboot, and on different usb ports on the iMac. All the ports work just fine, the keyboard works fine. It's a puzzler. It's just a hoop I have to jump through on restarts. I really prefer the older style wired keyboard, as it has a number key, and have grown use to using that style over the years. Anybody have an idea on what the heck is going on.

Thanks

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I have no idea, but you don't have to unplug the Apple keyboard when you connect the Dell keyboard (unless you need the port). Two keyboards can be connected at the same time.

ptdavidson87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, if I have both connected on reboot, both don't work, and then if I replug both back in, both won't work until I plug a third keyboard in. It's the darndest thing. Cause once a new keyboard is in everything works. Ports work and transfer fine, Keyboards work.

ptdavidson87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Yep that doesn't work, until I use a different one. Once I use a different keyboard, I can plug the apple back in and it works. But it only works after I unplug it and plug in a different, not if I just unplug and replug the apple keyboard.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I have long believed there are Port Management bugs in macOS... most commonly manifesting as the "unexpected ejections" issue with some- but not all- external drives.

Recently, I set up a brand new Mac mini and a wired, third-party keyboard and had this problem too. Of course, first thought was blame the (not Apple) keyboard. I pounded some tests of the same plugged into older Macs and it never had the same issue. Ultimately, through trial & error, I found that while it did this plugged in directly, moved to a third party USB Hub that was plugged into the new Mini) seemed to fix it. No disconnects since (weeks now).

Why? I don't know... but I continue to suspect Port Management bug(s) are behind all of this kind of thing. I think something changed in Big Sur- when this began- negatively affecting what the U in USB is supposed to mean. Fingers are crossed with each update since that it might finally get fixed.

OP, if the problem persists for you, you might try the hub "middleman" thing and maybe that will be a fix. Nothing special about the hub- about $40 for one of those 7-port USB hubs. This one can be bus powered, but I added the power adapter to self-power it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ptdavidson87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.