Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
If an SE is not an option, see if your carrier maybe still sells the iPhone 7/8?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Like you have a beater phone specifically for the water or this is your only device that also goes on the water?

If it's your beater phone, just pick up the newest device you can in your budget. iPhone 7 or 8 would be the sweet spot. If you don't want to spend much, try replacing the battery in your 6 with a fresh one.

Absolutely understand if you don't want to spend lots of cash on one, but if it's your only smartphone that also happens to go on the water, I'd personally just accept a little higher cost and get an SE, XR, or 11 non-pro and know I'll be set for years to come. They're pretty severely water resistant these days and can survive drops into river with nothing on them. A good plan would be pick up a dedicated waterproof floating phone bag or case to use when you're out there and use your main device. If you drop it in the drink, it'll float and you can just grab it. Obviously a more expensive solution, but just throwing ideas out there.
Yeah I have a beater phone for river. You think a 7 or 8 would be a major improvement over the 6? I have a X as my main phone, I suppose I could technically use that although the real issue isn’t the waterproofing it’s losing it in the river and not being able to find it. I want to be able to use my phone easily out there and there are no good floating waterproof cases.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I have an iPhone 6S Plus with iOS 10.0.x

Currently I am downloading iOS 13.5.1 and I stumbled across this thread...

OMG! Am I going to break my iPhone 6S Plus like the OP?! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.