Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stateofmind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I was looking at bluetooth adapters for my car, but if the TomTom solution will play music through my stereos, then bluetooth is not needed.

Also, the wire that goes into the mounting kit comes out of the cars aux input?

stateofmind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
just rewatched the TomTom portion of the keynote and it will in fact play music, but do you guys think music playback from a GPS solution, yet alone a GPS app would have an intuitive music playback system?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
just rewatched the TomTom portion of the keynote and it will in fact play music, but do you guys think music playback from a GPS solution, yet alone a GPS app would have an intuitive music playback system?

Since 3.0 opens access to the iPod functionality, they should be able to make a pretty good interface for music operations that help eliminate the need to exit the app simply to change what is playing. I'm hoping TomTom/Navigon have put some thought into this as it is an important consideration for some of us who rely on our iPhones for music/entertainment while driving.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Since 3.0 opens access to the iPod functionality, they should be able to make a pretty good interface for music operations that help eliminate the need to exit the app simply to change what is playing. I'm hoping TomTom/Navigon have put some thought into this as it is an important consideration for some of us who rely on our iPhones for music/entertainment while driving.

I'm sure they have but I find it interesting that you imply that you'd buy one or other of these but consider music more important than navigation. They'll have to compromise here and there I'm sure, and I daresay they'll do so on the side of providing a better GPS.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I'm sure they have but I find it interesting that you imply that you'd buy one or other of these but consider music more important than navigation. They'll have to compromise here and there I'm sure, and I daresay they'll do so on the side of providing a better GPS.

Of course, but I like listening to my iTunes collection over searching for random FM stations when I'm driving around.

Honestly, I'd be content as long as it lets library content play and fades in/out for the voice prompts. I usually have my iPhone shuffling through my favorite songs playlist anyway.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Features:

Secure Docking
Enhanced GPS performance
Loud speaker for clear voice instructions
Hands-free calling
Charges your phone whilst in the dock
External microphone for calls
Built in FM Transmitter for playing music through car stereo
Can be used in landscape or portrait mode
Mini USB Charger connection

Source: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/tomtom-car-kit-iphone-3g-s-3g-p20358.htm
Ugh, I hate FM transmitters. I really hope the other 3.5mm jack shown on the side is for AUX out from the dock connector.

firebirdswm

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
I know it's supposed to have an aux out. Those of us without an aux in would be out of luck though. This is the first I've heard of an FM transmitter. I'd be absolutely thrilled if it turns out to be correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.