Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Just got back home after a somewhat ridiculous experience.

Someone close wants to trade-in a 13 for a 15. Having gone round the physical shops over the past few days and decided colour (blue) and standard size (not Plus), looked for best trade-in.

One large UK chain offered £15 more than Apple and that, plus walk-in rather than wait for delivery, seemed just enough. Not that she is desperate but once mind is made up, it is nice to get it done and dusted.

Visited shop. They agreed that the offer stood but wanted to physically take her phone as part of the ordering process for the new phone. And she would not get the new phone until Saturday. (As I write, it is Monday.) Yes – over four days entirely without a phone. Needed to switch off “Find my” so they could check it is fully functional on their special machine. Then they would order the phone and on Saturday she could go in and they would transfer over to the new phone.

I couldn’t understand why it would take that long for the company to get the phone from their central depot to the shop. Was suspicious that they actually had no stock anywhere and were waiting on delivery from Apple.

It isn’t as if speed is critical to her, but not having a phone is.

Anyway, decide that was a good way to waste some time and gave up. But we remembered another phone shop to check on the way home. Ha! They had some display phones. But they wouldn’t even quote a price! They told us to buy from Apple. So she has.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just got back home after a somewhat ridiculous experience.

Someone close wants to trade-in a 13 for a 15. Having gone round the physical shops over the past few days and decided colour (blue) and standard size (not Plus), looked for best trade-in.

One large UK chain offered £15 more than Apple and that, plus walk-in rather than wait for delivery, seemed just enough. Not that she is desperate but once mind is made up, it is nice to get it done and dusted.

Visited shop. They agreed that the offer stood but wanted to physically take her phone as part of the ordering process for the new phone. And she would not get the new phone until Saturday. (As I write, it is Monday.) Yes – over four days entirely without a phone. Needed to switch off “Find my” so they could check it is fully functional on their special machine. Then they would order the phone and on Saturday she could go in and they would transfer over to the new phone.

I couldn’t understand why it would take that long for the company to get the phone from their central depot to the shop. Was suspicious that they actually had no stock anywhere and were waiting on delivery from Apple.

It isn’t as if speed is critical to her, but not having a phone is.

Anyway, decide that was a good way to waste some time and gave up. But we remembered another phone shop to check on the way home. Ha! They had some display phones. But they wouldn’t even quote a price! They told us to buy from Apple. So she has.
It's early yet. I suspect Apple wants the sales.

This is one of the reasons I keep old phones though. I had to wait a week for Apple to replace my 11 Pro Max last year. My 6s Plus filled in fine as essentially everything on it was the same as on my 11 PM.

Reactions: polyphenol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.