Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The future naming of iOS:

• Total voters

flori13

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
(I could not find a thread similar to this, so if there is one, I am sorry)

Hello!

I would like to hear your opinion on this matter, there are many different routes Apple could take!

I personally would enjoy it if iOS and OS X had the same naming scheme. This year iOS Fuji + OS X Fuji, next year iOS Mojave + OS X Mojave for example.
Maybe it could be too hard to spot a difference at first glance, so they could easily keep the naming scheme with iOS 10, iOS 11,...

I would not be a fan of iOS X, simply because it would confuse a lot of people. iOS X, OS X? - nah:confused:

If there are other possibilities I have not thought of, please share them! :)
Anyways, thank you for voting!

alvesik

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2016
(I could not find a thread similar to this, so if there is one, I am sorry)

Hello!

I would like to hear your opinion on this matter, there are many different routes Apple could take!

I personally would enjoy it if iOS and OS X had the same naming scheme. This year iOS Fuji + OS X Fuji, next year iOS Mojave + OS X Mojave for example.
Maybe it could be too hard to spot a difference at first glance, so they could easily keep the naming scheme with iOS 10, iOS 11,...

I would not be a fan of iOS X, simply because it would confuse a lot of people. iOS X, OS X? - nah:confused:

If there are other possibilities I have not thought of, please share them! :)
Anyways, thank you for voting!
Certainly not mojave. I can't forget those damage control commercials Microsoft ran where they showed consumers unknowingly using windows Vista rebranded as "Windows Mojave" and everyone was like this is great and then shocked when they learned it was the horrible Vista they had heard about. They must have had a hard time finding those people too because I used Vista for about a year as my personal computer and on many professional occasions after that. And it sucked in a uniquely horrifying fashion

Reactions: flori13

flori13

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Certainly not mojave. I can't forget those damage control commercials Microsoft ran where they showed consumers unknowingly using windows Vista rebranded as "Windows Mojave" and everyone was like this is great and then shocked when they learned it was the horrible Vista they had heard about. They must have had a hard time finding those people too because I used Vista for about a year as my personal computer and on many professional occasions after that. And it sucked in a uniquely horrifying fashion
Haha nice story, didn't know that. I googled possible names, so I have to thank the internet for this mistake :D

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
I think OS X naming is the best possible idea. I can't remember who it was and where I saw this but somebody here on the iOS 9 forum suggested names that are based on the same subject, for example OS X San Francisco and iOS Golden Gate Bridge. Very clever idea.

alvesik

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2016
I think OS X naming is the best possible idea. I can't remember who it was and where I saw this but somebody here on the iOS 9 forum suggested names that are based on the same subject, for example OS X San Francisco and iOS Golden Gate Bridge. Very clever idea.
People are best when they have one number to remember. That's where names like El Capitan are beneficial because OSX 10.11 is more than the average consumer is Willing to commit to. iOS 9 is smooth, sexy and sleek and couldn't be easier to remember. Most people don't remember upgrading to 9.3 or especially 9.3.1 because it's inelegant.
People should buy whatever kind of phone makes them happy, but I think most people would agree that iOS 9 is a lot sexier sounding than "Android Marshmellow." To me, am iOS 9 becoming an iOS Palo Alto is anti Apple when there is another cleaner option. But I'm sure when the Apple Phone succeeds the iPhone in the next ten years, a new nomenclature will develop and I can only hope that Apple will retain its elegance in software when the name of the hardware ceases to be so easy and natural to roll off the tongue.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
I can imagine the threads in this forum going forward.

"latest iOS was better than latest iOS. Latest iOS has battery drain but I heard latest iOS fixes that".

"Can I downgrade from the latest iOS to the latest iOS?"

Well it'll ofcourse have actual version/build numbers for people who care. Those numbers will also be visible in setttings. However, for the majority 95% who keep complaining about things like "my wife is getting all my messages", and stuff like that, just the names "macbook", "iphone" "ipad" and "latest ios" is good enough.

If they are capable of registering on a forum, asking specific questions for troubleshooting, they are perfectly capable of going into settings and getting the exact version number.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Well it'll ofcourse have actual version/build numbers for people who care. Those numbers will also be visible in setttings. However, for the majority 95% who keep complaining about things like "my wife is getting all my messages", and stuff like that, just the names "macbook", "iphone" "ipad" and "latest ios" is good enough.

If they are capable of registering on a forum, asking specific questions for troubleshooting, they are perfectly capable of going into settings and getting the exact version number.

I'm just messing with you dude ;) Where is Pune anyhow? I work with people from Chennai, Nagpur, Noida and Hyderabad.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I can imagine the threads in this forum going forward.

"latest iOS was better than latest iOS. Latest iOS has battery drain but I heard latest iOS fixes that".

"Can I downgrade from the latest iOS to the latest iOS?"
like macs people will refer to it by year and then point updates by month

much simpler.. or maybe not

flori13

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Honestly, the more I think about it, one of the main problems with iOS 10 could be its pronunciation. When said out loud, iOS 10 is really easy for the tech-uninterested people to confuse with OS X.

perfect_

Suspended
Feb 8, 2016
Numbers good. People cant understand difference between 10.xx variants. It would be easier to understand if the first number changes.

2016 - iOS 10 with iPhone 7
2017 - iOS 11 with iPhone 7S
2018 - iOS 12 with iPhone 8
2019 - iOS 13 with iPhone 8S

If we have to talk about iOS's soul. And name of iOS could help for this.We can add this names.

2016 - iOS 10 El Dorado with iPhone 7
2017 - iOS 11 El Gonzales with iPhone 7S
2018 - iOS 12 El Speedy with iPhone 8
2019 - iOS 13 El Taco with iPhone 8S

But Apple love simplicity. People love that too. And this names doesnt help to simplicity.

Everybody know the importance of the first numbers. But -mostly- nobody know difference between El Dorado with El Speedy. And everybody know difference between iOS 10 with iOS 12. If they dont. They can use their logic with numbers. But with names. No, they cant use their logic. And Yes, Human brain working like that.

We have to remember iOS versions with launched iPhone's. We dont need to focus iOS names. We have to focus new iPhone with new iOS.

Last words;
Numbers fine. We dont need any change this line.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.