Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
I just needed a place to really blow off some steam on apple for not including this very basic component in the new MacBook Pro. I just can't believe them sometimes! 2500$ notebook and ZERO options to connect it to my tv set?!? not everyone in the world have HDTVs, Steve! a 400$ cheap laptop has S-Video out! I promised myself to get the first intel notebook that will come out, but this is just redicilous. You've got this great front row feature with remote and everything, but with no way to see it on the big tv screen. I am already guessing Apple's plan, they're probably gonna offer AirTunes with video support real soon, so they took out the s-video port to force people into buying this (probably) 199$ periphel.

I am just disappointed. If it were the iBook they were replacing - so be it. but powerbook? The funny thing is, the iBook replacement probably WILL have S-Video out, cause it's a must for regular consumers.

Apple really blew it this time. They just don't listen to their customers anymore.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You might just need to buy a DVI to S-Video adapter.

m9267ga_125.gif

$19 - Apple really blew it.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
How about flaming the guy/girl who thinks he/she needs to pay $2500 for a glorified DVD/movie player?!?!? You're seriously whining about the lack of s-video? Get the $20 adapter and quityerbitching.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I think its okay that I there isnt s-video. If your bitching about a $20 cable, get a student to get the [expletive deleted] at an apple store at a discount. While your at it, get the student to get your MBP at a discount too so you can take that money and get the S-video cable.

I am not trying to be mean but if there was a s-video port, you would create another thread about not having a dual layer burner.

Vasileios

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2005
Greece
xparaparafreakx said:
I think its okay that I there isnt s-video. If your *itching about a $20 cable, get a student to get the [expletive deleted] at an apple store at a discount. While your at it, get the student to get your MBP at a discount too so you can take that money and get the S-video cable.

I am not trying to be mean but if there was a s-video port, you would create another thread about not having a dual layer burner.

...or you would create another thread about not having a Firewire 800
...or you would create another thread about having only 1440x900 instead of the 1440x960 of the powerbook

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
19 bucks? That's it? Coming from Apple and it's not 50 bucks? Is it included with the Books? Phew, man, I thought that Apple shot themselves in the foot, but since I already have to carry around an s-video to composite adapter, that's not really a big deal...

And to those complaining that the best use of video out is as a glorified DVD player. You don't have any other videos on your book? I have a ton of homemade stuff that I'd be crushed if I couldn't play on the TV. Not to mention playing the flash games I make on my 26 inch tv is a lot more fun than on the 15 inch screen. And lets not forget certain oldschool two-player games :cool: . Presentations? iTunes visualizations? You guys need to learn a thing or two about fun with video!

-Escher-

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2005
odedia said:
I am already guessing Apple's plan, they're probably gonna offer AirTunes with video support real soon, so they took out the s-video port to force people into buying this (probably) 199$ periphel.

Thats my guess too!!
But It won't be a 200$ peripheral!! It will be much cheaper! I bet!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Really fast laptop computer or S-video port included? Oh wow. I want the slower computer with the S-video port because it's cheaper than a $50 DVD player (or I'm pirating video from the internet.)

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
bousozoku said:
Really fast laptop computer or S-video port included? Oh wow. I want the slower computer with the S-video port because it's cheaper than a $50 DVD player (or I'm pirating video from the internet.)

Umm, why can't we have both?

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
People, the MBP isn't even out yet, and you are bitching about lack of features. Apple could make you shut it and include the damn dongle if you whine enough.

Man, this "Apple didn't do this and that" is beginning to get to me. Sorry for the verbal explosion.

Actually, them including the dongle does make sense. It's one step closer to Front Row in home theater setups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.