Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Who thinks this is going to be a major, major update like some people are saying? With relations going ice cold with Microsoft, and Microsoft not exactly showing much interest in developing future mac apps, do you think the new version of Appleworks is going to be designed to take over for Office on OS X? It's been rumored that Office compatibility is a "major concern."

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I don't think apple will ad alot of M$ Office compatibility, I think they'd rather rely on M$ Office or make the push to seperate themselves from relying on M$ .

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Apple would be crazy to continue to develop AppleWorks when OOorg and StarOffice are out there. I'd suggest that if anything they're working w/Sun on StarOffice for OS X. They will have something ready just in case Microsoft kill the profitable Office v.X just to hurt the Macintosh.

Let's face it, although your average user doesn't have Office, people who are switching over *need* an extensive office suite -- and no, thinkfree and appleworks do *not* suffice.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
who said Microsoft is not interested in developing future Mac apps?? I've said this before and I'll say it again... Office is very profitable to Microsoft, and it will be just plain stupid if Microsoft stopped developing it. And although Microsoft IS stupid in many ways, I don't think they're THAT stupid...

irmongoose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.