Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
What you're missing is that a Mac that can be easily upgraded has resale value
What you’re missing, and I’ll paraphrase here, is that someone that doesn’t want to recycle is going to toss their device in the landfill, regardless of how many slots are in it, regardless of whether or not it has resale value, regardless of how many people they know could use a computer, etc. No one is going to change their minds and, really, they’re free to do what they want with the stuff they don’t want to use anymore.

To expect that Apple or anyone else can, with the wave of a wand, force everyone using Apple devices to be more responsible with their unused items is not realistic.

• Haha
Reactions: ignatius345

1am0

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
look, guys. there'll be 2 things Apple can do.
1st thing: separate nand for sepos(security enclave os), plus nvme ssd.
2nd thing: just one nand massive for sepos and user data.
i suspect, that there'll be only one choice, and this is 2nd thing in the list.
nand config for 256gb macbook m1 is 160gb+128gb. the sum of that is bigger than 256gb. some of that space is required for spare nand cells, and some part is required for sepos. this is known information for about 4 yrs since t2.

1am0

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Yep
Did you post here (or elsewhere about it?)

I'm super curious if it requires a DFU restore or what else?
of course not. i do my researches alone. the task was to replace nands on specific board. earlier, i just do cpu replace(with some specific parts). dfu is required of course. next task is to downgrade the recovery os. i don't like ventura.

DaveFlash

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
well, apparently luke miani and dosdude were able to do a upgrade of nand flesh on an m1 mac from 256gb to 2TB.

here are their videos,
video by dosdude:
almost the same video but from luke miani:

ostensibly they bough various nand flash from ali express, and succeeded by using a combination of a pre-flashed nand and blank, unprogrammed nand. dfu restore seemed to work. if others can confirm this too, i would like to try it on my m2 pro mac mini, to bring it from 2TB to 4 or 8TB....

Reactions: vkd

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I have 2 iPhone SE 1st gens.
Man i just got one of those, & its my favorite phone ever. Got a new batt installed for $60. Next time I’m going to have a black screen & button installed instead of the white, which will look quite nice on the silver back, just like the original iPony 2G.

I’ve got a whole intranet of olde imacs & MBP’s. They are all easily serviceable and still all work just fine, so they stick around. I just had a bad case of upgradeitis and replaced them whenever there was a newer one to try. But the collection stops around the time they started gluing & soldiering them together. The new ones are all ticking time bombs. At this point I’m incentivized to have much more invested in old computers than new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.