Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I just got an iPhone 15 Pro and I wanted to share a picture on the forum but I got an error message.

It must cost a lot of money but would it be possible to increase the size of uploaded picture to 4 or 5 MB?

The one I wanted to upload was 3,4 MB.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Select the picture in finder, right click to get to Quick Actions and Convert image. Change to acceptable size.

Had an issue with a site where images were horrible in one browser, good in others. The blurry image was 12 KB, non-blurry one was 399 KB. Don't know the optimal browser size but likely 1 MB or lower.

Reactions: gigatoaster

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks. It would be nice though, if higher file size was natively compatible on the forum.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I believe it is set to allow up to 5MB.

See my older comment below for what may be going on.

I've run into that also and it is usually not the image size (in MB) that is the issue, but rather the dimensions of the image being too large for the forum software to handle. If you open the image in Preview or similar and knock it down by 10-20% or so, that seems to make it work.

It is an odd issue because both the before and after image can be under the MB size limit and the larger image won't work for whatever reason.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have no idea how the software is configured here at MacRumors, but I'm an admin on another site that runs Xenforo and there are separate limits for file size and image dimensions which can be set in the admin control panel under Setup > Options > Attachments. The image dimensions limit is optional.

Reactions: NoBoMac

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Interesting, I didn’t know it was both the size & the resolution that was the problem.

Here is an example:
IMG_8571.jpeg

Do you think the resolution is too big? I’m traveling outside home this days so I don’t have access to Preview. But I’ll try when I’m back home.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I just did a test with an image having dimensions 6466x5173 and it failed with the exact error message you gave.

The file size was a mere 530KB because it was all white. I started with a JPEG image I had with the given dimensions, and messed with the color and contrast curves to make it entirely white.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The limit is set to 2000 pixels in either dimension. With over a million attachments in our database, you can imagine they take up a good amount of storage space.

I will defer to @arn about whether the size limit might be increased, but at least for inline display in threads, 2000px is certainly sufficient.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
One of the first things photographers learn when submitting their images for scrutiny on the internet is that (1) it is important to resize the image to fit on the destination site and (2) when using not just "real" cameras but also smartphone cameras it really does make a difference when taking the time to actually thoughtfully edit the image first, rather than just tossing it up on the internet willy-nilly......

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello @arn , would you be opened to increase picture dimensions on the forum to 6000? Would that make pictures 3 times bigger in the DB? Or maybe limit to certain forum or threads only, like the “new pictures with your new iPhone?”

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
[...] increase picture dimensions on the forum to 6000? Would that make pictures 3 times bigger in the DB?

Ignoring the effects of data compression, a 6000 x 6000 image is actually 9 times bigger than a 2000 x 2000 image! That's because area is a squared function - it would be 3x wider and 3x taller, so 3 x 3 = 9.

Anyway, 6000x6000 would be way too large for forum attachments IMO.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Why would you want 6000? You would never see the difference in a browser unless zoomed in. See post #2.
In the pictures taken with iPhone thread, people are curious to see the quality of the images. Part of that includes zooming in to see the level of detail. Especially with HEIF max photos, people are going to be wanting to upload a lot more 48mp images.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
how can someone on their iphone reduce the file size or image dimensions? i dont tend to post pics on here, but i do on a football forum, often just screenshots, but since i moved to a 14pro its always too big. i can always edit the picture later on my mac but sometimes time is of importance.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I'm sure there are apps for that, and probably some other tricks as well but that's something I normally do in photoshop on my Mac. However, one simple trick would be to just mail the image you want to re-size to yourself as an attachment. Before sending, Mail will ask if you want to reduce the size and offer several options.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
how can someone on their iphone reduce the file size or image dimensions? i dont tend to post pics on here, but i do on a football forum, often just screenshots, but since i moved to a 14pro its always too big. i can always edit the picture later on my mac but sometimes time is of importance.

About halfway down this page it shows how to make an iOS Shortcut that will resize an image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.