Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FunnelDog

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2015
Atlantic Coast
Greetings,

I'm here because I can't think of a better group to review the situation. Here are the facts, in order:

- A couple of weeks ago the Verizon Wireless online listed the Philips Hue Ambiance / White Bulb starter kit as an option but out of stock.
- Then it became available here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/philips-hue-white-and-color-ambiance-starter-kit/
- I ordered it from the website (along with a google home mini)
- Both products arrived to my home and the google mini was clearly new, still packaged, and works perfectly. However, the Philips Hue box was clearly in poor condition, pieces rattled around inside, the hub itself was grimy, the lights were a little dirty, there was no individual packaging...
- I went to the local corporate shop to exchange (I called and they said they had it) but when I arrived they didn't. That was probably miscommunication / misunderstanding.
- The verizon employee ordered a new one to be sent to me and credited the order so I received another one with return shipping for first set.
- The box arrived with the same condition and I would actually consider it in worse condition. This one had caulking(?) around the bulbs so I didn't even plug them in, unsure of what would happen to my sockets / the bulb anyways. It was also clearly not packaged properly / used.
-
I called verizon and explained the issues. Their solution was to send another replacement / return shipping. They confirmed that they do not sell refurbished Phillips Hue products and that these should be brand new.
- That 3rd set arrived this morning in the same condition! Clearly used and interestingly, this one had some extra plastic around the hub... but it was not sealed and apparently missing staples, thus confirming that all 3 had been unpackaged / previously used.
- I called verizon again and received the same assurance that it should be new and that they could ship a 4th item.

Has anyone else experience this with this specific product and Verizon? My theory at this point is that they are selling refurbished products as new (though they were not even clean!) and unassuming customers are just accepting it as new. Or, since they can't deliver to a store for my pick up (I suggested so they could witness the issue) Philips is actually the one at fault here.

This is interesting, not an emergency, but very frustrating as a consumer and could lead to a larger investigation.

Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.